Author Topic: Wingnut Wings Halberstadt Cl.II (Early) Royal Prussian Schlasta 21, Oct 1918  (Read 16436 times)

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
Very nice work on this, Lance.  Like others have said - no hurry.

Offline RAGIII

Your usual Terrific work Lance! Details and painting are top notch!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
   Thanks very much for your nice comments Guys. Albert, you are far too kind! In looking at my photos I am constantly reminded to work harder at "cleaner detail" in my efforts. Some of the Members here turn out spectacularly crisp and clean work which I can only wonder at! Most of this will thankfully be hidden once she's closed up and the cowlings are on.
Cheers,
Lance
« Last Edit: February 06, 2020, 06:07:49 AM by lcarroll »

Offline lone modeller

I will not be thankful that all of that lovely and inspiring engine detail will be covered up. I have repeatedly written that I would like to see modellers of your standard leave engine covers and side panels off so that we lesser mortal modellers can admire the skill and patience that you superior modellers put into your work. That is truly wonderful modelling Lance - I await the new year in anticipation.

Stephen.

Bughunter

Lance, you have done a lot of work with all the details in this two seater with radio and engine! Nice painting!

I'll be doing the old William's Brothers Curtiss Sparrow Hawk and will start a brief Build Log in Off Topic Builds.
At least that is a biplane :D

Cheers,
Frank

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
Robin, Terri, thanks for your comments, much appreciated!
Terri, I use Sunward Hobbies more and more lately. Selection is really good, same day shipping, better prices overall and very significantly free shipping on orders over $60. They ship all liquids, paints etc. and if I order on a Monday I'll have it at the post office as early as Friday, gotta like it! beats driving to Edmonton!

https://www.sunwardhobbies.ca/

Highly recommended!
Cheers,
Lance

Thanks Lance for the link and mentioning where you pick up the product . I have heard of them , but never check them out . I try to support the shops here in Canada for hobby needs .  :)

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline Gisbod

Hi Lance,

I can’t see your pictures for some reason? May be cos I’m in China this week? They seem to block just about everything!

Will try again.. can’t wait to see what you do with this!

Guy

“Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth -
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.”

P.O. John Gillespie Magee 1941

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
Thank you all for your comments.

Stephen,
    I try to leave many Builds "open" however this one I elected to close up as I really like the "lines" of the design and didn't want to alter it's appearance. I hope to build the late version Kit in future and will probably leave the panels off and detail the engine using the experience I gained on this one.

Guy,
    The picture problem must be your location, they seem OK here.

Cheers,
Lance

Offline Gisbod

Ah got them now,

China is odd - Google/ YouTube/ Facebook/ WhatsApp etc all blocked.. like your Halberstadt is a state secret!

Looks great Lance, I like the wiring - always my Achilles heel!

Guy

“Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth -
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.”

P.O. John Gillespie Magee 1941

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
Guy,
    That is rather strange however Canada and China are presently engaged in some not so happy circumstances re: our international and economic relationships thus I am not surprised! Politics are wonderful, aren't they??
    The wiring challenge, will it ever be resolved!!?? :-\
Cheers,
Lance

Offline AlbertD

Lance, I love the lines of this machine too. In fact I have this kit but it's been sitting on the shelf until my skill level is worthy. I was considering making this my third WnW build. What do you think? Is it much more challenging than an Albatros? The rigging doesn't look too bad.

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
Albert,
    Thus far the Kit is really no different then the WNW Albatros or similar Kits in their line, the challenges are the same. I'm ready to close up the fuselage (once I get back to it) and the test fit indicates a really good fit with no big gaps and no heavy pressure required. Like all "two seaters" it's a larger project, requires more or less double the effort to detail two cockpits, and the components are larger thus requiring a bit more care in handling. The only real challenge (self induced!) for me is in the scheme I've chosen, the Early Version Kit's option "A" with Schlasta 21's black and white stripes showing thru the two color vertically striped finish. Seeing your excellent results on the von Richthofen Albatros this should be an easy and pleasant experience for you, it's a very nicely engineered Kit and I'm enjoying it to this point. I'd say don't hesitate, go for it!
Cheers,
Lance
« Last Edit: November 22, 2019, 12:54:11 AM by lcarroll »

Offline AlbertD

Thanks for the great information Lance. I do like the color scheme you are doing but I was leaning toward the flames. It will still be a challenge but should not be too bad. For some reason the two seaters just attract me. I like the fighters too of course. It's sure nice to have all these choices to make.

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
    After a break to complete my last Off Topic Build (Curtiss Sparrow Hawk) I'm finally getting this one underway again. After taking a day to reacquaint myself with progress to this point I closed up the fuselage and got started on scheme number one which will be overpainted per the original aircraft. This aircraft was originally painted in the Schlasta 21 scheme of black and white horizontal stripes with lozenge covered flying surfaces on delivery from the factory. At some point after that the crew had the aircraft painted with vertical blue and yellow bands overall. From examination of the photographs it is apparent that, depending on the light conditions, the earlier black and white "zebra" stripes, lozenge, and national markings showed through the final finish which is the effect I aim to replicate.

Tamiya acrylics were used throughout, the lozenge used was from the Kit and the markings were from the spare decal box. The wing walks and access panels on the wings will be completed after the final color scheme is added. As is apparent some overspray occurred and will require touching up after completion of the repaint.

The Build has progressed very smoothly thus far, I'll feel somewhat relieved once the painting stage is finally completed.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline RAGIII

Really lovely work as always Lance! I am looking forward to the rest of the painting !
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler