Author Topic: Wingnut Wings Halberstadt Cl.II (Early) Royal Prussian Schlasta 21, Oct 1918  (Read 16629 times)

Online lcarroll

• Administrator
Re: Wingnut Wings Halberstadt Cl.II (Early) Royal Prussian Schlasta 21, Oct 1918
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2019, 11:52:55 PM »
   Thanks, all, for your comments and information. Borsos, that's interesting regarding the colors on the aircraft, just another reminder that the only sure thing on WWI Aircraft colors is "were not sure" as I like to say! At this early stage I'm going to stick with WNW's interpretation of yellow and blue unless more information comes to light. Thus far it appears to be a great Kit!
Cheers,
Lance

Bughunter

Re: Wingnut Wings Halberstadt Cl.II (Early) Royal Prussian Schlasta 21, Oct 1918
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2019, 02:57:17 AM »
To add some more possible choice regarding the finish, D. S. A. et al. depict this very machine in SCHLACHTFLIEGER as being yellow and red, not
black.
I found such livery on aviationgraphic.com:

https://www.aviationgraphic.com/aviation-lithographs/1126-halberstadt-clii-marianne-bh-35.html
Location and crew are mentioned on this page.

There are some interesting fotos of it in the old Windsock Datafile, No. 20.
A small correction before someone order a wrong Datafile: The 20 is about Nieuport, the Halberstadt Cl.II is 27.

Cheers,
Frank

Online lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2019, 06:58:12 AM »
Frank,
     Yes, I've studied the photos in the original Data File as well. They are actually the best illustration of the Schlasta 21 "zebra stripes" showing through the top colors. As for the red vs. blue on the final vertical stripe scheme who does one believe??  I have a lot of respect for Wingnut Wings research, they appear to be very thorough; the folks at Aviation Graphics are certainly not likely to be amateurs either! So many choices, and as mentioned somewhere it's possible the light and dark colors were actually reversed because of the possible "yellow effect" caused by the film used! Since we don't have a time machine to transport us back 100 years I'd say one color is no less correct then the other! ::) ;)
    Thanks for all the info, Guys.
Cheers,
Lance

Bughunter

« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2019, 07:11:46 AM »
You are always right, Lance ;)
I find it funny, that even the blue and yellow on your machine could be switched (according to the WNW manual page 18), depending on the used film. Had the same with my Bristol Crocodile - some say it was black instead of red.
That is the advantage of WWI modeling - you can interpret, decide and build what you like, and no nitpicker can prove you wrong. Try that with WWII or jets ;D

Cheers,
Frank

Online lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2019, 11:27:03 AM »
    "you can interpret, decide and build what you like, and no nitpicker can prove you wrong. Try that with WWII or jets"

So true Frank, but in that case the "time buffer" is much smaller!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline lone modeller

Good to see you back Lance.... I had been wondering where you had got to and what you had been doing. That is a very interesting choice of subject - and to add a bit of interest plenty of uncertainty about the colour scheme!! What is there not to like?

Will be following with interest.

Stephen.

Offline calumet

That's a wonderful start of a great subject, i'll stay tuned....

Cheers
Hans

Offline gedmundson

Very nice start Lance. I don't have this kit, so I'll be very interested to see your build and follow the progress. Just got back from being away from a month, so I'm ready to get back to the bench and catch up on the forum.
Cheers,
Gary

Online lcarroll

• Administrator
Thanks Gary, and belated thanks also to Stephen and Hans for your comments. This project is progressing very slooooooooowly as real life  (read Dog demands!) keep bench time nearly non existent.I have the cockpit component ready for final assembly and should be posting an update soon.
Cheers,
Lance

Online lcarroll

• Administrator
    I can't believe it's been almost a month since I last updated this Post. As mentioned earlier progress has been very slow. I have finally completed the cockpit and engine assemblies and all is nestled into the fuselage frame and attached to the left side fuselage member.

The instrument panel is very basic, I used some modified AFV resin wingnut fittings for the fuel selector valves, the instruments all got Aeroclub bezels.

The belts are from HGW and I elected to install the Radio and the amplifier in the Gunner's Station as well.

This aircraft had the 200HP D.IIIau version of the engine with the water jacketed Intake Manifold. I added spark plugs as described earlier, Taurus resin priming cups and valves, ignition wires and several different oil and air lines. It's all lightly weathered with AK and Abteilung products and the generator is installed.

The conduit for the plug wires from the distributers was done with drilled 0.5mm Albion Alloys brass tubing, the plug wires are salvaged stripped copper braided wire.

I also installed Taurus resin intake manifold nuts as seen below.

Test fitting of the second fuselage half proved surprisingly successful, seam gaps on the fuselage are minimal. Thus far the engineering of this Kit is exceptional.
   At this point this Build will be moved off the bench for a month or so while I shift to an end year "FUN" Build for my Local Club. I'll be doing the old William's Brothers Curtiss Sparrow Hawk and will start a brief Build Log in Off Topic Builds. Hopefully I'll be back to this little gem immediately after the New Year arrives!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Robin

With the amount of work you've done...nothing to feel ashamed of, besides...it's not a job, no deadline.  ;)
Looks great!

Robin  :)

Found my mojo and clipped it's wings, so it won't fly away.

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
Lance , will be well worth the wait , this is shaping up very well indeed  :) Where did you get AK and Abteilung products ?

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Online lcarroll

• Administrator
Robin, Terri, thanks for your comments, much appreciated!
Terri, I use Sunward Hobbies more and more lately. Selection is really good, same day shipping, better prices overall and very significantly free shipping on orders over $60. They ship all liquids, paints etc. and if I order on a Monday I'll have it at the post office as early as Friday, gotta like it! beats driving to Edmonton!

https://www.sunwardhobbies.ca/

Highly recommended!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline AlbertD

Lance, how on earth do you keep that fine detail so sharp and clean? Not a real question. I know it's hard work, practice and experience that's built over time. Maybe one day my work will hold up to close up photography as well as yours.

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
Excellent update, Lance.
One month? Man, that is quick from this side of the divide.  ;D

von B

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith