Author Topic: New WNW kits for pre-order  (Read 6479 times)

Offline Ryan

Re: New WNW kits for pre-order
« Reply #30 on: September 19, 2019, 03:33:35 AM »
HG or not, just like the BvR release, this allows us 'late to the party' to aquire these OOP kits without donating kidneys on ebay.

Ryan
In Progress: 1/32 Albatross DV (Richthofen); 1/32 Morane Saulnier Type N; 1/32 Sopwith Pup
Upcoming: Not sure!

Offline Marcus.Q1000859

« Reply #31 on: September 19, 2019, 06:26:02 AM »
Note that they specifically State "Powered BY A French LeRhone engine" Not a French aircraft:

-32075 1/32 New Model in Development (powered by a French LeRhone engine) – announced on 6 September 2019. 

So could be a Number of British aircraft I guess?
RAGIII

Perhaps this is referring to French 'built' Le Rhone, as opposed to a license produced engine from Germany, Sweden, England or even the US? Wiki.
Inferring that it would be installed in a French flagged airframe.

Thanks
Marcus

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #32 on: September 19, 2019, 07:43:31 AM »
Note that they specifically State "Powered BY A French LeRhone engine" Not a French aircraft:

-32075 1/32 New Model in Development (powered by a French LeRhone engine) – announced on 6 September 2019. 

RAGIII

Perhaps this is referring to French 'built' Le Rhone, as opposed to a license produced engine from Germany, Sweden, England or even the US? Wiki.
Inferring that it would be installed in a French flagged airframe.

Thanks
Marcus

Yes, it could be. I am not as informed on the powerplants for each aircraft type regarding whether it was license built or "French" built. So as a result I left the question Mark. For instance was the Comic Camel powered by a "French LeRhone" or a License built version? Same with the Strutter and others?
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Marcus.Q1000859

« Reply #33 on: September 19, 2019, 08:01:28 AM »
I don't know.
I was thinking it could be something french flagged. A Nieuport or HD stands to reason it will have a French manufactured Le Rhone but even say, like a Strutter, they were a British design but the French flagged aircraft were license built in France in large numbers so (stands to reason in my mind, anyway) it would have had a French manufactured engine.
My thoughts.

Marcus

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: September 19, 2019, 08:27:34 AM »
    Where did you guys find confirmation of the Comic Camel's engine? I've been doing a casual search for info for a year or more and have never found a clear statement on it. I think it was Bud's (Coyote Magic) conversion here that mentioned the LeRhone and I assumed it was the correct one from that point on. Even the classic Chaz Bowyer "King of Combat" book doesn't have any engine info. I'm thinking seriously of doing a conversion using the Wingnut Wings Kit however I think I'll hold off for now, Jeff may be correct on the pending release........ In the interim I'll just gather casual notes!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Iancshippee

« Reply #35 on: September 19, 2019, 12:12:57 PM »
I think the defining it as a French Le Rhône merely implies “not an oberursel.” In the kit sprues, the 9j has the option for s Le Rhône or Oberursel front plate. I think all we can surmise is that it will be an allied aircraft.

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
« Reply #36 on: September 20, 2019, 06:14:05 AM »
A quick search using 'comic' or 'home defence' with 'Sopwith Camel' yielded a few sites where this was stated - GreatWar Forum has a thread where
 multiple posters agreed the engine was a LeRhone, and a blog by Christopher Chant (cmchant.com), "Sopwith Camel - another classic British fighter of WW1", 20/06/2011, definitely states that comic Camels had a LeRhone 9J engine.
I don't know how definitive this is, but there seems to be a consensus.

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #37 on: September 20, 2019, 09:28:17 AM »
Thanks so much Ken, I'll enjoy reading those two refs and will include them in my notes for this, for now, tentative project!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline macsporran

« Reply #38 on: September 20, 2019, 06:31:31 PM »
According to the Air-Britain Camel File all Camel night fighters had Le Rhone 9J engines although on checking individual serial numbers it often states "assumed Le Rhone".
Interestingly all the night fighters, either standard configuration or comic tank/seating configurations, were not built in batches but converted from standard production machines. So serial E5164 & 5165 for example were converted from a batch of 50 standard config F.1 planes (ordered under contract AS2166 from Portholme Aerodrome Company!)
From this I infer that the few Comics built were unlikely to all be exactly the same anyway, but it seems a safe bet to assume a Le Rhone.
My opinion FWIW.
Sandy

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #39 on: September 21, 2019, 05:03:46 AM »
So it looks like a Comic Camel would be a good bet considering the kit Number is in the Middle of the Camels  8)
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Jeff K

« Reply #40 on: September 21, 2019, 03:22:17 PM »
So it looks like a Comic Camel would be a good bet considering the kit Number is in the Middle of the Camels  8)
RAGIII
seeing as i guessed a comic Camel, and i've never been right so far, it'll probably be something else.

Offline howlindawg

« Reply #41 on: October 22, 2019, 07:52:16 AM »

RAGIII

Didn't Voss fit a French Le Rhone to his Fokker?
I'm Martin