Author Topic: AEG C.IV 1/32 Scratchbuilt Two Seater  (Read 17660 times)

Offline Galloway

AEG C.IV 1/32 Scratchbuilt Two Seater
« on: November 05, 2012, 03:54:13 AM »
Ok here is the beginning of my first ever and maybe last ever Scratch-Built aircraft ..... I have no idea if I will finish this in the allotted time .... but I am going to give it a go!   

I started this about 3 weeks ago ......

I started with bass-wood and a homemade jig made from a piece of molding with a slot in the back of it ......

After soaking the wood in water I clamped it down to get the airfoil section and left it for a few days to dry .....

I decided on Bass-Wood because it is strong and Light..... Actually the bass-wood is covered in a two part resin and sanded smooth.... making a very strong and very light wing....       

« Last Edit: July 26, 2013, 07:43:46 AM by Des »
"Slàinte mhòr agad!"

Offline Galloway

Re: AEG C.IV 1/32 Scratchbuilt Two Seater GB
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2012, 04:11:33 AM »
After cutting the top wing out of the airfoil shaped wood and sanding to shape....

"Slàinte mhòr agad!"

Offline Galloway

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2012, 04:22:07 AM »
after mixing up and brushing on the two part resin..... (also added micro-balloons to ease sanding)

top wing primed and bottom wing still in need of a good sanding ...........

the ailerons are made out of plastic sheet ..... so I can add wash-out after sanding.....
"Slàinte mhòr agad!"

Offline Galloway

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2012, 04:29:25 AM »
Getting ready to add the ribs   ....

These are cut out of sign makers tape....... then burnished down and primer is sprayed over them and then more sanding....

The added ribs ...........

"Slàinte mhòr agad!"

Offline Galloway

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2012, 04:38:27 AM »
The ribs after a coat of primer and before sanding ....... this is where I am with the build so far and now I will be able to post as I go ...... should be easier to follow along.........

"Slàinte mhòr agad!"

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2012, 05:28:42 AM »
   Ken,
Wow what a project my old friend. Excellent progress,keep plugging away.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2012, 05:40:24 AM »
Those are some awesome looking wings, Ken!  As incredible as this project is, I'm almost certain this won't be your last scratch build.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline Galloway

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2012, 05:40:58 AM »
Thanks Gregory I am having a blast with this scratchbuild and have learned so much just getting the wings built..... More than one way to skin a cat! 

Ken
"Slàinte mhòr agad!"

Offline Galloway

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2012, 05:45:57 AM »
Those are some awesome looking wings, Ken!  As incredible as this project is, I'm almost certain this won't be your last scratch build.
Cheers,
Bud

Thanks Bud,

Actually my friend Tom Walsh has been trying to get me to scratch build something for years....(That is all he usually does) he has shown me many of his technics and I have full use of his Very large Vacuform machine....Now that I have got started ..... I think really enjoy the planning and making it all come together (holding my breath) we shall see???

Ken
"Slàinte mhòr agad!"

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2012, 06:00:47 AM »
Great job Ken!  I'm watching your build with great interest, since I'm soon starting a 1/32 Lloyd C.V scatchbuild.  How do you plan on building the fuselage?  It's great to learn new techniques!  :)

Regards,

Bob

Offline Galloway

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2012, 06:06:33 AM »
Great job Ken!  I'm watching your build with great interest, since I'm soon starting a 1/32 Lloyd C.V scatchbuild.  How do you plan on building the fuselage?  It's great to learn new techniques!  :)

Regards,

Bob

Bob,

The fuselage will be built in the traditional manner the upper decks & the cowl will be vacuformed, I may build the complete internal structure  with the struts and undercarrige attached  first though ???? We shall see???

Ken
"Slàinte mhòr agad!"

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2012, 08:55:46 AM »
Ken:

Your wing technique is interesting.  Dd you sand the airfoil shape from the curved basswood after curving it?  Could you describe the steps?  I was plannng on using Des's styrene bending technique for the wings of my Lloyd C.V, but I'm open to new ideas.  ;)  I plan to make a balsa master and vacuform the fuselage as you are doing. 

Your wings look great!  Good luck with the vrest of the build.  :D

Regards,

Bob

Offline Galloway

« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2012, 04:39:13 AM »
Ken:

Your wing technique is interesting.  Dd you sand the airfoil shape from the curved basswood after curving it?  Could you describe the steps?  I was plannng on using Des's styrene bending technique for the wings of my Lloyd C.V, but I'm open to new ideas.  ;)  I plan to make a balsa master and vacuform the fuselage as you are doing. 

Your wings look great!  Good luck with the vrest of the build.  :D

Regards,

Bob

Hello Bob,

Yes the wing shape was cut out after being traced on to the airfoil shape Bass-wood ..... Get a piece of bass wood as close to the thickness of airfoil you need ..... after getting the wing to the shape and thickness you want....... just mix up the two part epoxy resin (with a little micro-balloons, they will make sanding easier and thicken up the resin a bit) brush it on one side and let it dry..... try to get it as even as possible, but no worries you will be sanding it smooth anyway... drying time is about 1 hour so no hurry ... but here in Arizona is more like 20 minutes......

Don't worry too much about your trailing edge if you go to far trying to get a knife edge ..... I did on my top wing..... so I just laid the wing on a piece of wax paper and taped it down along the leading edge .... then mixed up a little resin and brushed it on...... once dry, remove the wing from the wax paper and sand it down.... Very hard and very strong and best of all light as a feather............         

I actually used a variable speed electric sander with 320 to sand the initial wing and resin down.... then went to wet and dry 320 - 400, and later after the ribs are added the primer is sanded down maybe 600....

If you have any specific questions .... let me know.... always happy to help!

I hope this helps and good luck with your scratch build ............

Ken
« Last Edit: November 06, 2012, 04:50:26 AM by Galloway »
"Slàinte mhòr agad!"

Offline Galloway

« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2012, 04:52:07 AM »
a little more progress ....... the top wing cut into its three peices.....before adding the ribs .... 

« Last Edit: November 06, 2012, 04:56:56 AM by Galloway »
"Slàinte mhòr agad!"

Offline Chris Johnson

« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2012, 10:01:17 AM »
I'll be following this with interest Ken as I'm always keen to see how you scratch builders do what you do. I particularly like to see the jigs you fellows use. Your wing looks magnificent.

Cheers,

Chris
You can have it good; You can have it fast; you can have it cheap. Pick any two, but all three are impossible.