Author Topic: AEG C.IV 1/32 Scratchbuilt Two Seater  (Read 17587 times)

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
Re: AEG C.IV 1/32 Scratchbuilt Two Seater GB
« Reply #30 on: November 17, 2012, 07:21:32 AM »
  Ken,
Excellent progress on the wings my old friend. Any new progress to report? Looking forward to seeing more.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline Galloway

« Reply #31 on: November 17, 2012, 07:34:43 AM »
Thanks Gregory,

Just sanding in preparation for adding the false ribs before the final coat of primer..... then I will drill out holes and set the brass tubing that will act as the spars, and add a few details...... Once I get these wings completed to my satisfaction, I think the rest of the build will go much faster ..... I hope???

Photos to follow............

Ken
"Slàinte mhòr agad!"

Offline Trackpad

« Reply #32 on: November 25, 2012, 04:31:01 AM »
Hi, Ken,

I've been lurking and working over the last few weeks. Great work so far, and I am sure there will be more to follow. Are you using various grades of sandpaper on the wing, or do you stick with one grade throughout? Often wondered how you'd sand the wood but more or less protect the softer tape!  ???
Cheers!
Gary

"It was an adventure, a great adventure. And, like all great adventures, we never knew where it would lead or how it would end."

Offline Galloway

« Reply #33 on: November 25, 2012, 04:43:20 AM »
Hello Gary,

Thanks for the encouragement! I hate sanding at this point...... (but really not that bad)

I am using 400 grit sandpaper once the tape ribs are down ..... I only had one mishap with the tape my own fault and I wasn't really happy with that section of the wing anyway..... real easy to go back and fix.... for the most part this tape is bullet proof once it is set into the primer.... I will take a few photos shortly to show the little progress I have made in the last week (Holiday got in the way)...... I covered the ribs fairly heavy with primer shot at an angle ....... then come back and sand between the ribs lightly until I expose each tape rib..... (Don't use white primer if your tape is white LOL) Not looking for the starving cow effect just a slight dip...... I added the false ribs after this was done.....

Thanks again!

Ken
"Slàinte mhòr agad!"

Offline Trackpad

« Reply #34 on: November 25, 2012, 05:20:58 AM »
Hello Gary,

Thanks for the encouragement! I hate sanding at this point...... (but really not that bad)

I am using 400 grit sandpaper once the tape ribs are down ..... I only had one mishap with the tape my own fault and I wasn't really happy with that section of the wing anyway..... real easy to go back and fix.... for the most part this tape is bullet proof once it is set into the primer.... I will take a few photos shortly to show the little progress I have made in the last week (Holiday got in the way)...... I covered the ribs fairly heavy with primer shot at an angle ....... then come back and sand between the ribs lightly until I expose each tape rib..... (Don't use white primer if your tape is white LOL) Not looking for the starving cow effect just a slight dip...... I added the false ribs after this was done.....

Thanks again!

Ken

Ken,

One more lesson into the barrel. Thanks!  8)
Cheers!
Gary

"It was an adventure, a great adventure. And, like all great adventures, we never knew where it would lead or how it would end."

Offline Galloway

« Reply #35 on: November 25, 2012, 08:49:08 AM »
Gary,

Here are the latest photos........ This is a learning experience for me too!  First time for me!

Ken

But thanks to my Friend Tom Walsh for the encouragement and helpful tips!

"Slàinte mhòr agad!"

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #36 on: November 25, 2012, 08:51:19 AM »
They look pretty good so far to me. Nice work!!

Steve

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #37 on: November 25, 2012, 10:33:00 AM »
The wings are beautiful, Ken.  Your technique has worked out perfectly.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline LindsayT

• "Somehow it didn't seem like war at all..."
« Reply #38 on: November 25, 2012, 10:44:56 AM »
Wow, is that ever effective! That look is totally convincing. Well done. :)

LT

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #39 on: November 25, 2012, 11:10:47 AM »
Those wings look great Ken! Very realistic.  I will definately give this technique a try in the future.  Looking forward to the rest of this build!  :) 

Regards,

Bob

Offline Trackpad

« Reply #40 on: November 25, 2012, 10:53:46 PM »
Ken,

Your first photo has the sanded wing looking like a piece of fine furniture. You can definitely see the many coats of filler and paint applied. Excellent work, and an excellent result: well done!  :D
Cheers!
Gary

Offline Galloway

« Reply #41 on: November 26, 2012, 04:37:18 AM »
Thanks Everyone!

Once I get these wings done things will go much faster... Getting the wings right is for me the hardest part of a scratch build! But this is my first ..... so we shall see????

Thanks Again!

Ken       
"Slàinte mhòr agad!"

Offline xmald

« Reply #42 on: November 26, 2012, 09:21:50 AM »
Thumbs up mate. I stare breathless with a constant admiration...
Best regards
Filip

Offline mgunns

« Reply #43 on: November 27, 2012, 03:36:38 AM »
I have to echo the sediment (sentiment) of the others here, the wings look great.  Looking forward to more as you progress.

Best

Mark
Mark

We few, we happy few.....

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
« Reply #44 on: November 27, 2012, 06:34:53 AM »
   Ken,
Very impressive work on her wing my old friend. It's a pleasure to follow this thread pick some excellent tips too.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"