Author Topic: Halberstadt CL-II and Albatros DVa Stick and Tissue From Old Guillow's Plans  (Read 14947 times)

Offline RAGIII

Looks like a most excellent Albatros Wing.
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline lone modeller

Your woodworking skills are as good as with card and plastic!

What scale is this Albatros Dan? I am thinking of trying out an idea on wing structures in wood in 1/32 scale and am looking for ideas....

Stephen.

Offline NinetythirdLiberator

Thanks, everyone!  This one is fun and I'm starting the top wing tonight.

Stephen:  This guy has an 18 inch wingspan so it's roughly 1/20th scale (I think)...

I do think you could make a 1/32 scale with 1/32nd sheet.  It would look just about right, I reckon...

Thanks for looking and commenting. 

Dan

Got the top wing done and sanded.  I need to separate the ailerons and then it will be ready to cover.  Really...only the fuselage left to go.

Thanks for looking!

Dan

P.S.  Here is a quick sped-up video of building the bottom wing.  Basically the same process.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzCdU8lU8XY
« Last Edit: March 17, 2019, 03:25:09 PM by NinetythirdLiberator »

My one Uncle used to build stick and tissue kits . I would sit and watch him for hours . This is a treat . Nice work so far and I like the magnet idea . Looking forward on your next up date .

Terri

Hi Terri!
Thanks for the comments.  I too liked watching my Dad build these things.  I only ran upstairs when he'd run an engine in the basement!  ::)

Cheers,
Dan

Offline RAGIII

Continuing to be an inspiring build! The upper wing looks terrific!!
RAGIII

Online Gene K

...  a quick sped-up video of building the bottom wing.  Basically the same process.

Fun watching - thanks.

Something you may want to try: VERY lightly spray the wax paper with lo-tack/repositionable adhesive before you start building. That will aid in positioning pieces ... and as handy, after you remove the magnets, the pieces  stay flat to make sanding easy!!

Gene K

Cool idea, Gene.  I should give that a go.  Sounds like when you remove PE parts.  Keeps things in place.  ;)

My camera ran out of batteries but here is a short...well...if you have 6 minutes to waste...video of separating the ailerons in prep for making them hinged.  Worked quite well, I might add!

Sorry for the lack of photos...Dan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5hQaCshW3Y

Well...here is one photo of the top wing with the ailerons removed!

I'll sand in my scallops next and then try some covering...a dainty job ahead.

Thanks for looking!
Dan

Offline RAGIII

Outstanding progress. You are making this look easy but I know it is not!
RAGIII

Offline PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
Spectacular scratch building results, as usual from your hands!
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
Super job on the wing Dan  :) What are you using to glue the tissue onto the wing ?

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Thanks so much, folks!

Terri:  I'll add a link to a video showing how I cover with tissue, but I use a cheap glue stick rather than dope of my youth.  This stuff works great and is very forgiving.

In the mean time, I got the wings all ready for covering by adding little balsa gussets as tissue anchors, made the pockets for the strut locations, and even added a tissue tube soaked in water and wood glue formed around the trailing edge of the upper wing center cut out.  That will be a dicey place to cover, so I hope that works and is hidden under the lozenge!

I also printed some lozenge onto tissue (using an old decal set as a guide...enlarging it and printing directly onto white tissue).  Seems to look ok.  The smear on the top side was a printer hiccup but since my tissue is kind of dear...I'm using it anyway.  A little weathering!   ::)

One cool thing is that the top pattern was spliced together just like the original since I didn't have a clean single piece to put over the whole top.  Looks cool!

I plan on finishing this one tomorrow and then doing the top wing as well.  Then I'll cover the tails and all that will be needed for major building will the  the fuse! 

Watch this space for a link on how the tissue process goes (for those unfamiliar or interested) and the finished tails too!

Going quite well, I must say.

Cheers,
Dan

Offline RAGIII

Your home made lozenge tissue looks great! I am liking this build a lot!!
RAGIII

Thanks, Rick.  The fun part is that you actually put it together like the real thing.  Turns out pretty cool!

I got the bottom wing done and then covered the tails as well.  I'll add markings next and these will be ready for the rest of the build to catch up!  :o

More soon...Dan