Author Topic: 1/32 WNW AMC DH.9  (Read 19900 times)

Online RAGIII

Re: 1/32 WNW AMC DH.9
« Reply #60 on: March 11, 2019, 10:44:26 PM »
Very well done grain!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Ryan

« Reply #61 on: March 11, 2019, 11:22:17 PM »
Beautiful, simply beautiful!

Did you use oils for the grain?

Claudio

Hey Claudio and RAG, thanks.

This is not done with oils, I painted with Vajello acrylics. 1/8" chisel or angled brush was used to paint.

Ryan
In Progress: 1/32 Albatross DV (Richthofen); 1/32 Morane Saulnier Type N; 1/32 Sopwith Pup
Upcoming: Not sure!

Offline Gisbod

« Reply #62 on: March 12, 2019, 04:34:12 AM »
Nice Ryan,

And a little bit different  :)

Guy
“Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth -
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.”

P.O. John Gillespie Magee 1941

Offline Ryan

« Reply #63 on: March 12, 2019, 04:50:12 AM »
Thanks for checking in Guy, yes I did not want to work with oils on this one.

Ryan
In Progress: 1/32 Albatross DV (Richthofen); 1/32 Morane Saulnier Type N; 1/32 Sopwith Pup

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #64 on: March 12, 2019, 11:23:12 AM »
Really nice wood effect Ryan  :) I use Vallejo paints for my wood graining .

Terri

Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline Ryan

« Reply #65 on: March 12, 2019, 09:58:26 PM »
Thanks Terri, i'm enjoying learning this technique.

Ryan

Offline Gilly

« Reply #66 on: March 13, 2019, 11:52:13 PM »
I love the wood graining Ryan and yet another useful tip taken onboard regarding your paint Jigs, just made some following your examples from a load of packing that was destined for recycling  :D

Offline Ryan

« Reply #67 on: March 14, 2019, 12:19:51 AM »
Thanks Gilly I'm glad you were able to pick up a trick or two.

The wood grain is growing on me, I took another shot in standard light (and sized the pic to close to normal size) and am liking it more and more.

DH9 by The 3rd Placer, on Flickr

I need to refine the patterns on future parts and it should work out great. (Easy to find reference as I work for a cabinet shop)  ;D

Ryan

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
« Reply #68 on: March 14, 2019, 02:05:38 AM »
Great work on that wood grain, Ryan.  It looks very good!
Don't take this the wrong way, but I think the pattern can be improved.  In the very first picture of it, on the left side, the pattern is too random.  You may have done more work on it later because it looks different in later pictures.  The right side looks better, with more of the dark areas connected.
I, too, will have to try this technique sometime.  Thanks for sharing it.

Offline Ryan

« Reply #69 on: March 14, 2019, 02:28:46 AM »
Your absolutely right Ken, I used most of the interior to play around with the technique.

Very little of it will be seen (I'm not opening the engine bay), however the upper portions that are visible I think are passable.

Thanks for commenting, I still have the bottom tray to grain out and will try and improve the look on that part.

Ryan

PS in the first shot I had not applied the orangeish clear coat yet, once i did it made the finer brush strokes appear starker and more connected.

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
« Reply #70 on: March 14, 2019, 06:12:36 AM »
I'm certain you're near the top of the learning curve.   ;)

Offline Ryan

« Reply #71 on: March 14, 2019, 06:21:25 AM »
If applied wood grain by brush was a foreign language, I could ask where the bathroom was...but regular conversations would baffle me. (for now  ;D)

Ryan

Offline Ryan

« Reply #72 on: March 17, 2019, 09:11:26 AM »
Not really happy with the hand graining I stripped the fuse and tried a new oil technique, I am much happier with this result and am moving forward. BTW its normal for me to strip parts until I'm happy with them!

Here are the new fuse parts with some others I finished, note there is no stain coat or washes yet.

Thanks
Ryan

Offline aliluke

« Reply #73 on: March 17, 2019, 05:27:19 PM »
Good on you Ryan! I was actually afraid to say that your previous wood graining was much too over scaled for me. So I kept my mouth shut.

What you have now done looks just fantastic and masterful. I prefer little or virtually no wood grain to appear because when you scale down there never would be any grain except for a faint appearance.

I, for one, would be interested in your new technique because you have got it just right to my eye.  8)

Cheers
Alistair
It ain't a hobby if you have to hurry.

Offline Ryan

« Reply #74 on: March 17, 2019, 10:19:24 PM »
Hi Alistair,

Yes the painted effect just did not sit well with me and I started over. One may ask why not practice on junk kits first, but i'm not the smartest sanding stick in the drawer.

I agree with your position on the grain, they should be seen and not heard.

While researching full size wood grain artists techniques, I came across the one seen in my pics. Basically what is done is you grain and wipe as usual using a brush in my case. The final step is to lightly go back over the grain and flatten it or stipple it into a finer grain. It really is magical and removes the goey appearence of the dragged brush. Try it out.

Ryan