Author Topic: My Tribute Build to Des-WNW Albatros D.Va  (Read 25429 times)

Offline RAGIII

Re: My Tribute Build to Des-WNW Albatros D.Va
« Reply #90 on: March 27, 2019, 11:13:43 AM »
excellent prop, engine, and the pounce tool nail locations look great! I am sure you will get the damaged decal repaired with no issues!

RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #91 on: March 27, 2019, 11:53:45 AM »
I really like how the nail effect turned out Lance , impressive .  :) Looking forward to seeing all come together now ...

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #92 on: March 28, 2019, 12:45:37 AM »
Thanks for looking and commenting Rick and Terry. I hope to resolve the damaged decal issue today.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #93 on: March 28, 2019, 03:53:45 AM »
That engine is a real masterpiece Lance - it just needs fuel and current and you could warm it up prior to take off! The rivets look much better than transfers too, and the propellor is a great improvement. In all an excellent model in the making.

Stephen.

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #94 on: April 15, 2019, 07:15:16 AM »
    Thanks for your very kind comments Stephen, they are very greatly appreciated. I've finally managed a couple of productive sessions working on this one and here's the results via a small update.
    I've installed the engine and the guns along with a bit more "plumbing" and the wind screen. The guns are the Kit supplied ones with the Kit PE cooling jackets added and the barrels drilled out.

The lower rigging attachment points have been made from 36 Guage Nichrome wire and drilled/CA'ed into the upper wing positions, I also got the radiator installed in the wing:

Nichrome eyelets were then added to Gas Patch turnbuckles and then drilled and CA'ed into the lower wing positions after which the rigging lines were attached using "Bob's Buckles".  I used a combination of 1:32 and 1:48 scale turnbuckles.

Next came the Photo Etch panel supplied for between the guns:

Last, the torn decal repair was done. A kind offer of help by way of surplus markings from our very own "Dave from Dubai" was gratefully accepted and, in a great feat of defeating the trials and tribulations of the international postage conspiracy, he carried them from Dubai to the USA on one of his scheduled trips, mailed them from Seattle WA. and I had them in only a few days, many Thanks kind Sir!
    I may still replace the "shield" decal with the spare I received from Dave, the machro photos make it look far worse then it is however a new one would certainly look cleaner.

I guess at this point I can't avoid mounting the upper wing and getting a start on the rigging. Wish me luck and hopefully a lack of "Banana Strut Disease"!

Cheers,
Lance

« Last Edit: April 15, 2019, 07:22:05 AM by lcarroll »

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #95 on: April 15, 2019, 10:06:07 AM »
exceptional detailing Lance. The MGs look outstanding as do the buckles!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Borsos

« Reply #96 on: April 15, 2019, 05:15:00 PM »
Wonderful! Another time it is obvious that it’s not always necessary to replace kit‘s armament for aftermarket products. The Spandaus look absolutely great as does the rest of the fuselage and the wings!
Andreas
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #97 on: April 16, 2019, 02:33:38 AM »
Rick, Andreas,
   Thank you both! Yes, the Kit guns are a great product. I had the GasPatch Spandaus available but will save them for a more "open/visible" location on a different design.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #98 on: April 16, 2019, 04:06:27 AM »
The rigging details are mind blowing Lance. I had to look closely at the photos and then remind myself just how smallthey are. This really is a super model - definitely one of your best and a wonderful tribute to Des.

Stephen.

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #99 on: April 16, 2019, 08:22:36 AM »
    My sincere thanks for your wonderful comments Stephen, they mean a great deal coming from a Builder of your skills!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #100 on: April 16, 2019, 10:19:10 AM »
Lance , this is simply just wonderful to follow along on  :)

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #101 on: April 16, 2019, 10:52:34 AM »
Thanks Terri, and it's also a bonus that we don't have to freeze at our benches again until next Fall by the looks of the weather patterns! Enjoy the Spring, you'll be back on that Mountain Bike in no time!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Dave W

• Administrator
« Reply #102 on: April 16, 2019, 09:41:08 PM »
That's astonishingly good modelling Lance. I wish I had just a tiny percentage of your talent! A very fitting tribute build to Des.

cheers

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia
Owner and Administrator of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #103 on: April 17, 2019, 05:25:51 AM »
Thanks Dave. I am a bit frustrated presently, I am not the first to discover that the upper engine cowling panels are not a great fit. The right side worked out with a bit of trimming and use of the "Armstrong Method" but the left side is proving impossible to fit without gaps, especially at the front top of the "ring" portion so I'm defaulting to an open engine bay on that side. Thankfully I completed the extra engine detail just in case there was such a problem!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #104 on: April 17, 2019, 06:19:47 AM »
Excellent work, Lance!
Going great guns  ;)

vB

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith