Author Topic: My Tribute Build to Des-WNW Albatros D.Va  (Read 25896 times)

Offline RAGIII

Re: My Tribute Build to Des-WNW Albatros D.Va
« Reply #75 on: March 16, 2019, 06:45:03 AM »
Lance,
I love the results of the grained fuselage and the markings are beautiful! As for the prop, far better than anything I could do but all I have seen had more laminations. I know you will sort out your next move with your usual expertise! Loving this Tribute build!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #76 on: March 16, 2019, 07:28:11 AM »
Stephen,
     You are correct in your comments on British (and French as well) props, the different layers and contrast are not usually visible to any great extent. I believe that is due to the wood used and also a combination of stain and tinted varnish used. For that reason I don't carve my own props for those subjects, rather I use the oil streaking method we use on our wood panel technique in most cases. Even a limited study of period photos shows a marked contrast between laminations on the vast majority of German made props; they used far different woods and shortages of raw materials further limited their choices. It would appear they also used a nearly clear varnish on the final finish.
    As for the number of laminations they vary as well, but I'm the first to admit that the prop I illustrate here is short at least two! It's back to the work bench for that detail .......
   As always thanks for your comments, they are much appreciated. It's both gratifying and inspiring to receive positive suggestions and observations from our Members, I'll post photos of the "real" propeller soon!  :)
Cheers,
Lance

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #77 on: March 16, 2019, 07:31:51 AM »
Rick,
    Thanks for your comments, I should have acknowledged them in my preceding post. Note as I indicated to Stephen it's back to the bench on the prop issue, I need the practice anyway! ::)
Cheers,
Lance

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
« Reply #78 on: March 16, 2019, 08:41:52 AM »
 Lance,
As always Masterful work my old friend. I quite like your wood painting it's just outstanding. Your prop is equally impressive as well.Looking forward to seeing more.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #79 on: March 16, 2019, 10:15:20 AM »
Ooooooo, this is shaping up very nicely Lance  :) The variations in your wood tones turned out great , nicely done sir !

Looking forward on seeing how the engine turns out  :)

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #80 on: March 16, 2019, 11:51:29 AM »
Greg, Terri,
    Thanks for looking in and commenting. I'm pleased with the wood effect and particularly the lighter color and more muted streaking then I've used in the past. The engine progresses slowly, photos soon I hope.
Cheers,
Lance

Bughunter

« Reply #81 on: March 18, 2019, 08:08:21 AM »
Lance, back to the step of your wing decals. I have a question here, because I have used the Aviatic decals only once, an in that case it was a pre-cut release.
Now I have the normal panel of fabric. And I have a very detailed description in a Datafile about the layout of the fabric. On the original wing there was a overlap not on the wing rib, just between two ribs.
So do you use also a overlap on the decals or cut one side, so that there is  close touch but no overlap?
The decals are clear, but I don't know how it looks like if there are two layers of them.

Thanks in advance,
Frank

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #82 on: March 18, 2019, 10:45:08 PM »
Frank,
    Be very careful to NOT overlap the clear decals as they will show a very dark stripes where there are two layers and completely change the color to almost black on that area. I "butt" them together making sure the joins are a very sharp and straight cut. You can overlap the white backing versions which I use mostly for wing tapes or sometimes because it helps with the leading edge joint if the white backed one is added last.
Cheers,
Lance

Bughunter

« Reply #83 on: March 20, 2019, 05:57:12 AM »
Thank you Lance! So I can avoid a big mistake 8)

Cheers,
Frank

Offline dr 1 ace

« Reply #84 on: March 21, 2019, 08:39:49 AM »
Moving along nicely and appreciate the build tips.

Ed
Life is short, enjoy it, nobody gets out alive.

Offline gedmundson

« Reply #85 on: March 23, 2019, 11:48:56 PM »
Hello Lance - just saw this latest update. Very nice! Love that blonde look to the wood on your fuselage. Too bad you are re-thinking the prop - it turned out as one of your best, I thought. Like you say, perhaps one or two extra laminations near the front would work. But studying Albatros props for the last while it does seem that some of the colours really stood out against each other. Looking forward to seeing more updates! On another note - Nanton may be out of the question for me as plans may have changed :-(
Cheers,
Gary

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #86 on: March 24, 2019, 03:28:33 AM »
     Thanks Gary. I've done another prop with 7 laminations that I'm happy with although the first one isn't that far off if at all. I've been back in the References and found several that match it with only 4 layers apparent. Photos of the new one to follow shortly.
   As for Nanton I'll send you a PM later today.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #87 on: March 27, 2019, 06:21:49 AM »
   A small update before I get ahead of myself again. I followed up on the propeller replacement and am much happier with the result. Although I have found photos of several with 4 or 5 laminations I like the replacement which has 7 much better. It needs a coat of semi gloss varnish to tone it down a bit.

The newer wood I sourced is much tighter in grain and harder, it only took 2 coats of varnish to finish it nicely.

I have also completed the engine. The Taurus add ons worked nicely with the overhead assembly, cooling manifold nuts, and primer cups and valves going on nicely, but a slow operation.

The ignition wires are salvaged telephone wire.

The exhaust pipe was added after a session with Alclad II and some pigments.

At this point I thought long and hard about adding the nails so evident in the photos of natural finished "Albatri", and finally decided to "take the plunge"! I knew HGW had a resin transfer set of nails or two but opted for the "Rosie the Riveter" tool I've had for years.

After a lot of careful work and no lack of nervous fretting I'm pleased with the results. I used AK Interactive dark brown Wash to highlight the effect.

There was one minor "Gaff" in the process, in experimenting with how to keep the nail lines straight and in position I tried some tape, and discovered that two coats of Future over the decals was not enough! Fortunately I have some left over stock from another Pheon set that used  near identical colors so repair should be doable!

So, other then my "Mister Bean Act" with the tape all's well thus far. Now it's time to get some of this stuff put together.
Cheers,
Lance

« Last Edit: March 27, 2019, 06:29:38 AM by lcarroll »

Bughunter

« Reply #88 on: March 27, 2019, 07:06:32 AM »
The new prop is a pure piece of art - you are getting better with every new prop! In 1/32 the prop decals are very nice too.
And I also like the engine and your "nails".
But I guess a third or fourth layer of future are not putting the decal on the safe side - if the glue below is not very sticky, then a tape on top is always dangerous ::)

Cheers,
Frank

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #89 on: March 27, 2019, 07:57:28 AM »
Thanks Frank, just trying to keep up with your excellent standards! ;) It's been a while since I've peeled a decal with tape, I guess I got a little over confident but I think the fix will work fine.
Cheers,
Lance