Author Topic: My Tribute Build to Des-WNW Albatros D.Va  (Read 25876 times)

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
My Tribute Build to Des-WNW Albatros D.Va
« on: February 04, 2019, 03:04:56 AM »
     Since I have the honor of being one of the Judges for our Group Build Contest in honor of our founder, Des Delatorre, I can't fairly participate in the contest. I've therefore chosen to do a personal Tribute Build entered here in the Under Construction section to honor Des' memory and the friendship I was so fortunate to have with him for a regrettably short time.
   Des was, as we all recall fondly, a Master Modeller who produced magnificent replicas of every subject he tackled. He was particularly adept in the scratch Building discipline and with the preservation and display of his collection facilitated through the kind efforts of Wingnut Wings his models will be enjoyed by many in the coming years. It is so fitting and touching that this membership are dedicating their entries to his memory, and I didn't want to be left out so here is my contribution off to the side.
   I've chosen one of my favorite aircraft as the subject, and an excellent Kit as well, the Wingnut Wings Albatros D.Va. Long ago I "stashed" two of these Kits along with two of the earlier D.V variant as my greedy logic dictates that one can never have enough "Albies' and besides, two each would be the minimum for any collection given the virtually endless number of spectacular color schemes available.

Here's the standard box contents shot. I've already noticed that the wings, top and lower, are slightly bent and will require a little "hot water therapy" to get them true. I suspect five or more years in a basement storage room may well be the culprit.........

I'll be using all of the illustrated References for this Build and several more, particularly the considerable photo references on the Wingnut Wings Site.......

I've chosen this scheme from Pheon's Decal Set 32051 JG 17 as I wanted something with a natural wood finish for this build, lots of color, and not all that commonly seen. This aircraft was flown by the Staffelfuhrer Hptm. Freiherr von Esebeck in late 1917 until killed in action in may of 1918.

I'll be adding quite a pile of after market products to the model in addition to those beautiful Pheon decals, starting with Aviattic's excellent lozenge fabric for the wings:

I also have some left over Alb. D.III Photo Etch that is common to the later variants, a sheet of HGW "nails" to experiment with, and an optional upgraded PE Radiator.

Last for now are the standard HGW Fabric seat belts, a pile of Taurus resin upgrades for the D.IIIa engine, and a pair of Gas patch's outstanding Spandaus. I'll also be using Aeroclub Instrument Bezels and a fellow Forum member is providing some tiny cockpit additions for me to try later.

I'm very much looking forward to this Build.
     This one's for you Des!

Cheers,
Lance
« Last Edit: February 04, 2019, 03:13:25 AM by lcarroll »

Offline Gisbod

Re: My Tribute Build to Des-WNW Albatros D.Va
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2019, 03:15:39 AM »
Brilliant Lance!

This will be a beauty... can’t wait...

Guy
“Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth -
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.”

P.O. John Gillespie Magee 1941

Online Juan

• All gave some, some gave all.
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2019, 03:30:19 AM »
Excellent choice of plane and add ons Lance.  Des is truly missed and I am sure he is smiling down on all of us.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2019, 03:39:40 AM by lcarroll »

Offline krow113

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2019, 05:30:06 AM »
Good stuff Lance!

Offline gbrivio

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2019, 06:26:31 AM »
Brilliant subject, will follow with great interest.
Ciao
Giuseppe

Online RAGIII

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2019, 10:11:00 AM »
Awesome Lance. I personally don't see why it can't be included in the GB as a Not to be Judged entry. Seems out of place here. Either way I will follow along!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2019, 10:57:53 AM »
nice one lance i will be checking this out from time to time.

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2019, 12:10:50 PM »
Thanks for your interest and encouraging comments Gents. I'm making a bit of progress and will get some photos done shortly.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Manni

• Der Militärmodellbauer
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2019, 05:42:28 PM »
Yummy! These ingredients and your skills will make an outstanding Ablatros soup.
Bye,
Manni
"Ich hab' da mal was vorbereitet.": Jean Pütz
"Warum noch mehr Bausätze?!?": meine Frau

Offline Ryan

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2019, 11:15:22 PM »
Lance, you cant go wrong with an Albatros!

Will be watching.

Ryan
In Progress: 1/32 Albatross DV (Richthofen); 1/32 Morane Saulnier Type N; 1/32 Sopwith Pup
Upcoming: Not sure!

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2019, 11:35:26 PM »
Thanks Manni.
Ryan, I just up caught up on your Build Thread, some great reminders there and a good Prep to my next several steps on this one!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Ryan

« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2019, 01:46:55 AM »
Thanks Lance, its an adventure!

Ryan
In Progress: 1/32 Albatross DV (Richthofen); 1/32 Morane Saulnier Type N; 1/32 Sopwith Pup
Upcoming: Not sure!

Offline rhwinter

« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2019, 05:02:38 AM »
Great, Lance!!
Richard

Bughunter

« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2019, 06:19:05 AM »
Lance, really great that you take part of this group build, even if located in the neighbour category ;)
That is a huge amount of accessories and references, and in your skillful hands all will come together to a fantastic model!

Have fun,
Frank

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2019, 07:33:41 AM »
    The fun has already started in this little "adventure"! The interior wood effect including the frame members is presently drying and the ammunition and fuel containers have their base coats.
   Only the ejector pin marks visible after assembly were cleared up........

The grooves for the frame members were covered in masking tape strips to keep them free of paint.

The various frame members and other bits.....

...... and the resin seat cushion from the HGW Seat Belt Set. (Albatros D.V / D.Va Set 132513) with it's base coat. The missing button will get covered by the lap belt.

I may just start on the engine while all of this dries.
Cheers,
Lance

« Last Edit: February 05, 2019, 07:37:49 AM by lcarroll »