Author Topic: My Tribute Build to Des-WNW Albatros D.Va  (Read 25884 times)

Offline Ryan

Re: My Tribute Build to Des-WNW Albatros D.Va
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2019, 07:34:59 AM »
Man that is fast.....good show sir.

Ryan
In Progress: 1/32 Albatross DV (Richthofen); 1/32 Morane Saulnier Type N; 1/32 Sopwith Pup
Upcoming: Not sure!

Offline aliluke

« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2019, 03:34:59 PM »
Hi Lance
Great to see you making a separate tribute build to Des. Already it is looking very good.

Reminds me that I better get going on mine!

Cheers
Alistair
It ain't a hobby if you have to hurry.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2019, 08:30:37 PM »
excellent start Lance. Wood and interior bits look awesome!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2019, 07:26:29 AM »
Spectacular start, Lance!  Beautiful wood grain and the cushion looks fantastic.  By the way, I think you chose one of the most attractive D.Va schemes of all.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2019, 08:30:22 AM »
Thank you for looking in and commenting Guys. Bud, it's a scheme that has been my choice number one for this Kit since Pheon released this Decal Set. I think there's only a hundred or so others I'd like to do as well!
Cheers,
Lance

Online pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2019, 11:46:48 PM »
Great start Lance!!

Steve

Offline jeroen_R90S

« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2019, 05:55:27 AM »
Nice choice of scheme (though the thundercloud "Gisi" is neat, too!) and looking good so far!

Offline Monty

« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2019, 06:24:14 AM »
This is a beautiful start! Go for it Lance! This provides even more inspiration for the Group Build...

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2019, 07:57:03 AM »
As usual I have been away when the action starts! What a shame this is not in the competition because I am sure that in other circumstances it would have won a prize. What a marvellous tribute to Des (as are all of the others in the GB), - I am sure that he is both proud and smiling at us.

Stephen.

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2019, 05:47:54 PM »
Going along at a nice pace, Lance.  :)
Looking forward to more updates as and when.

Cheers,
vB  :)

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2019, 06:06:54 AM »
    Thanks for your comments All. I am far overdue for an update so here's a record of progress since the brief report of two weeks ago.
    The cockpit has been completed, a long and fiddley process but a great refresher on the layout and function of the "office" on this little beauty.
I started with the seat and floor module assembly with the first three formers and then the forth former with the Ammo cans and fuel tank mounted. These were attached permanently to the right fuselage half per the instructions. At this point I completed and installed the fuel controls panel at the right side of the fuselage. The hand pumps for the right side, instruments, and several "plumbing" lines were added. The HGW seat belts were installed just prior to this step. Once the flight controls were installed and rigged the engine compartment formers were added and the right engine bearer installed. The left engine bearer will be installed after the fuselage is closed up.
    Here's the right side of the cockpit just prior to installation of the flight controls:

....... and here's the completed fuel controls panel prior to installation. the selector templates are the kit decals, the selector levers "scratched"
with stretched sprue and contoured with flat pliers.

The throttle on the control column hand grip and the auxiliary throttle (upper left with circular end) are not represented in the kit so were "scratched" and added. All instruments used kit decals, Aeroclub Bezels, and multi Future applications for lenses.

The cables for the gun triggers and the control stick throttle were added using EZ Line. Please excuse the dust and plastic crumbs evident in the photos, I inevitably fail clean up prior to the photo phase! :-\

The left fuselage had only two small assemblies to add, the Engine Spark Retard control and a section of pushrod to mate with the first former in it's travel and the Bosch Magneto starter box.

I forgot to remove the two protrusions above the spark advance control but they will not be visible once the fuselage is closed.

Here's a couple of shots of the HGW Belts.......

And last, the engine compartment. The lower components have been painted with the standard "grey green" protective coat and a bit of spilled/vented engine oil spread around using the large brush "flick and splash" method as I term it. Not much if any of this will be seen as I plan to complete the model with the engine fully paneled for a change.

Today I closed the fuselage and will be adding the second engine bearer, then it's time to get a coat of gloss white or tan on the wings in preparation for the Aviattic Lozenge and complete the top end of the engine.
Cheers,
Lance
« Last Edit: February 18, 2019, 06:21:55 AM by lcarroll »

Online Juan

• All gave some, some gave all.
« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2019, 07:09:49 AM »
Beauty Lance, great looking office and engine compartment (the maintenance crew needs to check the engine for leaks  :o )

Offline Ryan

« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2019, 07:30:00 AM »
Coming along Lance, your cockpit is much more detailed than mine, the pipe work and extra details are looking good.

Ryan
In Progress: 1/32 Albatross DV (Richthofen); 1/32 Morane Saulnier Type N; 1/32 Sopwith Pup
Upcoming: Not sure!

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2019, 09:33:36 AM »
   Thanks for commenting Ryan and Juan. I got a little carried away with the oil however it's going to disappear with the engine in place and the cowling panels on.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2019, 10:17:09 AM »
Looks awesome Lance! I still have one DV to build and yours is certainly inspiring!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler