Author Topic: Wingnuts announces three new models in development  (Read 19243 times)

Offline eclarson

Re: Wingnuts announces three new models in development
« Reply #75 on: September 29, 2018, 04:15:58 AM »
Good grief!  Why are people making such an uproar over this?  There is a very good reason why WNW has released this kit and it's not because they've decided to betray the WWI modelers, or to hurt HK, or any other nefarious plot that's been imagined.

Pure and simple - Peter Jackson has been working on a remake of the Dambusters movie for at least 7 or 8 years and his passion for the subject makes HIS model company's production of the aircraft participating in the raid a logical choice.

I would be willing to bet this will be the one and only non-WWI kit you'll ever see WNW produce. That is unless Sir Peter decides to redo The Battle of Britain,  Tora Tora Tora, or Strategic Air Command.  Hmm...can you imagine a 1/32 B-47 from WNW?    :D

Cheers,
Eric

Offline eclarson

« Reply #76 on: September 29, 2018, 04:25:29 AM »
They are a business and we are their customers. When a business I like changes course and contradicts what it has done and said in the past I will react to it and say my opinion even if negative.

I'm just curious...how does this contradict anything Wingnut Wings has ever done or said?  I may have missed it but I can't recall a promise ever being made by WNW not to make anything outside of the WWI era.  And as for a change of course, one WWII bomber, which is the subject of the movie Peter Jackson has been working on for many years, hardly constitutes a departure from Wingnut's usual subject matter. 

Eric

Offline jeroen_R90S

« Reply #77 on: September 29, 2018, 04:34:15 AM »
I don't really understand the fuss either, but, fortunately most of us live in a free world and are equally free to have opinions. :)

One indication of this being a one-off could be separate sprues for engines, weapons, etc as per their WWI kits. If the do a Merlin engine sprue with a load of extra's they just might pull a Centurion tank from their hat!

Now, where's the 1/32 Dam to go with the Lanc?  ;D

Jeroen
« Last Edit: September 29, 2018, 04:39:35 AM by jeroen_R90S »

Offline crouthaj

« Reply #78 on: September 29, 2018, 05:00:24 AM »
Are all 3 "New Models in Development" Lancasters, or are any of these WWI types?

I'm still hoping WNW will go pre-1914...one can only dream of a Fokker Spinne.

Offline petrov27

« Reply #79 on: September 29, 2018, 05:11:03 AM »
They are a business and we are their customers. When a business I like changes course and contradicts what it has done and said in the past I will react to it and say my opinion even if negative.

I'm just curious...how does this contradict anything Wingnut Wings has ever done or said?  I may have missed it but I can't recall a promise ever being made by WNW not to make anything outside of the WWI era.  And as for a change of course, one WWII bomber, which is the subject of the movie Peter Jackson has been working on for many years, hardly constitutes a departure from Wingnut's usual subject matter. 

Eric

From 2010 article on Hyperscale - actually pretty funny:

However modellers hoping for Wingnut kits of WW2 subjects such as a 1/32 Lancaster will be disappointed. 

“We are concentrating on WW1 subjects. Personally I feel that the vast majority of WW2 subjects have been covered pretty well in 1/32, ” Richard said.

In the end I guess it does not matter - maybe I am just being petty as the excitement of three new WW1 models turned into two WW2 models that are already being done by another manufacturer and maybe a third one. Whatever. Life goes on and glad for all those who need a 1/32 Lancaster in their lives.
-Patrick

Offline mgunns

« Reply #80 on: September 29, 2018, 05:45:09 AM »
Very well stated Dino:

I too am disappointed by the vitriol that is being displayed on this Forum regarding the announced release of the WNW 1/32nd Lancaster.  How quickly those forumites have forgotten that prior to 2009, there were maybe a dozen 1/32nd WWI aircraft kits on the market, some really bad.  Since 2009, we have seen over 60 quality 1/32nd WWI aircraft kits released by WNW with more to follow.  What's the problem here?  A bunch of grown men who didn't get what they wanted?  Apparently this kit has been in the pipeline for the past 8 years.  What obligation does a company have to alert it's competitors to what that company is doing?  None!  How many freaking 1/48 and 1/32nd P-51 Mustangs are out there?  Did Revell tell Monogram not to release a P-51 because they were?  Did Airfix tell Revell not to produce a B-24 or B-17 because they were?  People still buy them from whatever model company they want that's what competition is about.  So, WNW decides to do a 1/32nd bomber that just happens to be a Lancaster that another model company is doing.  It's happened before and it will happen again.  It's a risk they take.
I believe that all of the WNW staff read this forum, I know for sure two do, and for the members of this forum to write this tripe about a model company making a model to me is absurd. 
Mark

We few, we happy few.....

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #81 on: September 29, 2018, 05:45:25 AM »
    Well, I guess the time for a small and informal injection of Moderator perspective has come........
Our cardinal rule on the Forum is to not allow hurtful or unfair criticism of anyone, including the Companies that support our Hobby. I sense that some are getting a little tough on Wingnut Wings here Guys, and hope it doesn't go much, if at all, further. We are getting a little too close to the line as defined in the Forum Rules as laid out by Des long ago. I too am disappointed that three new WW.I subjects have not been announced, and personally am extremely unlikely to acquire a 1:32 Scale Lancaster. Having said that, however,  I am extremely happy with the 30 or more of their WW.I subjects that I have. I suggest to put that into proper perspective take a moment, as I just have, to read Eric and Dino's comments earlier; thank you both for stating it so succinctly and putting these events into proper perspective! Well said on both of your parts.
    Please don't get me wrong here, I respect and enjoy debate and constructive criticism a great deal, and our world and this Forum would be very dull indeed if we all just agreed to agree! In the big picture I suspect that there's plenty more wind, wire and fabric subjects to go before Wingnut Wings is done. Just look at their inventory to date and what they've done for us and the Hobby in such a short time!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline petrov27

« Reply #82 on: September 29, 2018, 06:17:11 AM »
Good Lord - just saying you are disappointed in WNW constitutes "bashing" them and it is "vitriol" and needs moderation apparently.

I think I need a break from forums for awhile anyway. Peace Out and feel free to remove my account here.
-Patrick

Offline Ringleheim

« Reply #83 on: September 29, 2018, 06:17:44 AM »
So if WNW is now the vehicle for Peter Jackson to make whatever model he fancies instead of purely a WWI aircraft modeling company, what is next, or what might be released in the future?

I assume Peter Jackson still owns most of the relevant licensing for the world of JRR Tolkien. 

How about a detailed kit of something from that world?  A giant Minas Tirith city set; a 1/35 scale "Grond" battering ram, maybe a stand alone model of Isengard, say, that is close to a meter tall?

There's a ton of things from that universe that I'd build a model of!

But for some reason I don't see LOTR kits surfacing.

Offline Gisbod

« Reply #84 on: September 29, 2018, 06:33:44 AM »
Well, I did say it would be something that no one had thought of, but that’s a surprise by anyone’s standards!

Personally I’m grateful for any new high quality 1/32 kit on the market. Too big for me though... I can understand people’s reaction, but it doesn’t signal an end of WW1 kits.

Guy

Ps let’s wait and see what the 3rd kit will be...
“Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth -
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.”

P.O. John Gillespie Magee 1941

Online Gene K

« Reply #85 on: September 29, 2018, 07:00:06 AM »
A forum that had none of the negativity and self centredness found on so many of the other forums. ... . Until now.

I agree. Your arrogant post is ... well ... arrogant, negative, and self centered. Please let others express their opinions without chastising them.

Gene K

Offline Bluesfan

• MW Miniature Work
« Reply #86 on: September 29, 2018, 07:05:09 AM »
Small point - unless I've missed it, nothing stated so far negates the possibility of a 'Christmas surprise', on top of the Halberstadt. Then there's whatever the 3rd kit turns out to be, and of course the in development kits won't be here for a while, but still.

Crossed fingers that they don't decide we don't deserve a 'surprise' this year! ;)

Mark

Offline Borsos

« Reply #87 on: September 29, 2018, 07:16:18 AM »
Good Lord - just saying you are disappointed in WNW constitutes "bashing" them and it is "vitriol" and needs moderation apparently.

I think I need a break from forums for awhile anyway. Peace Out and feel free to remove my account here.

I must say I can understand Petrovs point here. There were many many much harisher words regarding other companies products like Roden’s or Special Hobby’s just to name a few. And no one intervened immediately and insisted on more humility and thankfullness towards them. Criticizing WNW seems to become a kind of a sacrilege for some people and the announcement of a new product gets close to a religious relevation.
I think WNW will stand it when people write down their dissappointments here. That’s free speech, isn’t it?

And yes, there are in fact of course huge differences between Monogramm and Airfix releasing both some P-51s, both kits in huge masses and for the price of some 15€ and a huge 1:32 kit that will attract just a very small amount of buyers who have to invest quite an amount of money. To simply ignore that the release of this Lancaster will most probably be a serious blow for HK is not very friendly towards the guys from HK (ok, they most probably won’t read this forum here). To compare a mass production kit for 15-20€ with a very expensive high-end kit and wipe out any criticism with the sentence „that’s business“ is not O.K.
Andreas
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline Manni

• Der Militärmodellbauer
« Reply #88 on: September 29, 2018, 07:16:45 AM »
I think it is time to calm down. As I wrote before I am very disappointed and angry.  But we have to keep in mind that all kits are just a bunch of plasic parts. Nothing to argue about.
And let's be honest, nearly everyone of us has so many model Kits in the stash, he could never build in his livetime.
Bye,
Manni
"Ich hab' da mal was vorbereitet.": Jean Pütz
"Warum noch mehr Bausätze?!?": meine Frau

Offline Dave W

• Administrator
« Reply #89 on: September 29, 2018, 08:09:04 AM »
I sure picked the wrong weekend to be out of town!
Like many I am surprised that Wingnuts has announced a Lancaster but I am assured their prime focus will continue to be  WW1 aircraft
I support Lance's comments about some posts crossing the line of civil behavior. It shows how passionate some people feel but that does not mean they can make personal criticisms of people at Wingnuts.
Please keep this discussion civil. A robust debate is welcome.  Personal attacks are not welcome.
Lance is the moderator and I totally support his comments.
Dave Wilson
Forum Administrator
Owner and Administrator of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com