Author Topic: Wingnuts announces three new models in development  (Read 18970 times)

Offline mike in calif

Re: Wingnuts announces three new models in development
« Reply #90 on: September 29, 2018, 09:19:39 AM »
I too, am surprised at this release. HK has been working on a lanc for quite a while. Whatever WNW timeline is, doesn't really matter now. They are going to have two variations of the lanc. I wonder to my self( and now here!) if we may see.... a G4m Betty, FW-200, Short Sunderland, SM-79.... and some few others. Not WWI, but just because WNW has released a Lanc, does not mean they have given up on WWI kits. I'm happy to see pretty much any 1/32 since that has always been my scale. People will vote with their wallets ultimately, so I see no reason the get peeved about this, but others mileage will vary.

Offline Black Max 72

« Reply #91 on: September 29, 2018, 09:24:18 AM »
After having a night to sleep on it, I guess, in the most part, I have to agree with Manni that it is not worth getting that worked up over. I don't agree with some others here though that being critical of this decision by WNW amounts to 'bashing' the company. As some here have pointed out WNW's words and actions over the years just don't seem to gel. For years we were told, rather emphatically 'no Sopwith Camel' then suddenly we get 6. As Petrov pointed out:

From 2010 article on Hyperscale:

However modellers hoping for Wingnut kits of WW2 subjects such as a 1/32 Lancaster will be disappointed. 

“We are concentrating on WW1 subjects. Personally I feel that the vast majority of WW2 subjects have been covered pretty well in 1/32, ” Richard said.

8 years in development would tally with that interview rather nicely, though before anyone points it out, Richard didn't say that WNW wouldn't one day have a crack at WWII. I guess what I'm trying to say is do we take everything WNW say as 'gospel' or with 'a grain of salt' as the saying goes. Now please don't misconstrue this as an attack on WNW, this is more of an observation than anything else, personally I love their product and I, like probably everyone else here, have several of their kits partially made or sitting in my stash (though not as many as I would like ::)) as well as my eye on several of their kits to buy. WNW have always done things a little different from other companies they like to surprise their customers with their releases and, as Guy said, this one certainly qualifies as a surprise just not the one we were expecting! The disappointment has kind of faded a bit, though I must admit the bewilderment still remains. I'm looking forward (with a mixture of trepidation and excitement!) to the unveiling of the last of the 3 kits at the show.
On the flip side of all this it's rather interesting to contrast the feelings and opinions here on the forum with what I've seen on Facebook from the WWII brigade. They are over the moon about this release. It says a lot about the quality of WNW's models that, sight unseen, this release can generate that level of buzz from a community that has more than likely only heard about the engineering on these kits. HK has a complete test shot of their Lanc at the show while WNW has only a promo flyer yet I have seen comments to the effect of bypassing the HK kit in favour of the WNW one based purely on their reputation alone, as I said above, one thing you can say is WNW has had a major impact on the hobby not just in WWI sphere but across the board. To end on a lighter note, I had a bit of a chuckle when I read Matt McDougal of Doog's Model's FB post on the WNW Lanc release:
"Wingnuts is going to some pretty ridiculous lengths to avoid kitting a SPAD XIII" ;D

Dave Rickard
Rockhampton QLD

Offline JimF

« Reply #92 on: September 29, 2018, 10:03:33 AM »
I feel those of you are criticizing the folks venting their disappointment are missing the point.

This IS a World War I aircraft modelling forum (yes, it does include other aspects, but still, WWI).

A major number of the members are (perhaps were, now?) avid fans of WNW, and have supported the company by buying large numbers of their kits.

Why should they NOT feel disappointed, and vent those feelings on here.

If the venting bothers you that much, perhaps going to a WWII modelling site, or general aircraft site will make you feel better, I'm sure there are folks on them who are jumping with joy over this announcement.

As longs as it's not a personal attack, venting should not be considered wrong.

Just my 25 cents worth (I know, used to be 2 cents, but hey, inflation)

Jim F

Offline crouthaj

« Reply #93 on: September 29, 2018, 11:37:33 AM »
I consider WNW and Peter Jackson as gods for WWI modelers....they completely revolutionized our hobby.  In 2005, who could have imagined beautifully crafted 1/32 scale LVGs, Rolands, AEGs, Bristols, Rumplers, etc.  Before WNW it was the Middle Ages for WWI modelers...we're now living in the Golden Age.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #94 on: September 29, 2018, 11:45:36 AM »
Good Lord - just saying you are disappointed in WNW constitutes "bashing" them and it is "vitriol" and needs moderation apparently.

I think I need a break from forums for awhile anyway. Peace Out and feel free to remove my account here.

Well I must agree with your sentiments. No Vitriol from me but certainly disappointed. But not about deleting my account or leaving the Forum.

RAGIII
« Last Edit: September 29, 2018, 11:54:11 AM by RAGIII »
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Dave W

• Administrator
« Reply #95 on: September 29, 2018, 12:01:37 PM »
Now people are criticizing the moderator for his rightful concerns over the tone some people, I repeat  some people have voiced regarding Sir Peter Jackson and wingnuts business practices.
Let me reiterate,  I have no issues over people voicing disappointment with the Lancaster decision but we will not tolerate any posts that are abusive in nature against anyone.
So I fully support the rights to voice disappointment but if this becomes abusive you can expect such posts to be deleted.
Dave Wilson
Forum Administrator
Owner and Administrator of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Ringleheim

« Reply #96 on: September 29, 2018, 12:21:33 PM »
It appears the "3 new kit announcements" to be made at Tokyo are now known.

We have two Lancasters, and third kit is apparently a second Halberstadt Cl.II. 

They are releasing an early and late variant of the Halberstadt. 

We have always known one was in production, and now we are learning of the second.

I think that's it.

I was very much excited about three new WWI aircraft subjects being announced in Tokyo!

As it turns out, we didn't really get any!  2 Lancasters from WWII and a second iteration of a kit we already knew about.

Kind of disappointing.  Luckily there are still many other WNW kits out there, and I'm looking very forward to the CSM Nieuport!

Offline aliluke

« Reply #97 on: September 29, 2018, 12:34:41 PM »
This is such a strange thread to see here on this wonderful forum.  :(

Just a week or so before Des died I sold him a Tamiya 1/32 DH Mosquito. He was thrilled to receive it and couldn't wait to get going on this incredibly detailed kit. My guess is that if Des had lived to hear this annoucement from WNW he would have said "Wow! That could be a really amazing kit to build"...and that would be exactly the right spirit with which we should receive this news. News that is otherwise utterly inconsequential.

Cheers,
Alistair

It ain't a hobby if you have to hurry.

Offline Dave W

• Administrator
« Reply #98 on: September 29, 2018, 01:01:59 PM »
Dave Johnson of Wingnut Wings reassures members the main focus of Wingnuts is WW1 aircraft.
That's official folks.
I prescribe two Halberstadts as a remedy to the upset dispositions.

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia
Owner and Administrator of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Jeff K

« Reply #99 on: September 29, 2018, 01:52:47 PM »
I prescribe two Halberstadts as a remedy to the upset dispositions.

early and late, 3rd kit is another Halberstadt CL.II. box art on display at the WNW booth.

Offline Tiger2

« Reply #100 on: September 29, 2018, 03:22:58 PM »
The dambusters is certainly a legendary story and I bet the film will be awesome. We just need to convince Mr Jackson to make a state of the art tribute to McCudden, Mannock or Ball! With all the flying replicas he has at Vintage Aviator and a little CGI, I've no doubt he could create a fitting tribute to these knights of the air and also the centenary of the Great War.

A top flight film of the reality of the WW1 air story is long over due, I wrote to Richard Alexander a few years back to see if he could help sow the seeds but sadly no luck as yet. Just think of the models that could spin off that....!

Paul

Offline Borsos

« Reply #101 on: September 29, 2018, 04:56:42 PM »
Operation Chastise: 1300-2400 casualties (unarmed civilians — women, children, many allied POW‘s, forced laborers)
In Harris‘ view no military value .... truely a legendary story...

But that’s not my point. I am truly confused by the fact that criticising a company which is not even a member of this forum is seen more problematic than the polemic and unobjective reaction of some of the companies loyal disciples. A member of this forum seems to have left our community and this is worth no words, the business practice of PJ is more important  ... that’s not how I knew this forum. For me that’s the real disappointment here.

When it comes to WNW many people take every word that is not a pure praise for WNW as illegitimate insult. WNW produces some breathtaking model kits and I own them all (no flying boats, but every bird with wheels). I spend quite much money on their products, I would do that again and I don’t regret anything. Building their kits is pure fun.
But I definitely do criticize WNW‘s business practices when I see a reason to do so — as I praise them when I see a reason to do so (Halberstadt  :) )

Andreas
« Last Edit: September 29, 2018, 07:57:25 PM by Borsos »
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline Lorenzo

« Reply #102 on: September 29, 2018, 09:23:02 PM »
32049 : Halberstadt CL.II - early
32062 : Halberstadt CL.II - late

Offline Manni

• Der Militärmodellbauer
« Reply #103 on: September 29, 2018, 09:35:11 PM »
Ahhh. That's nice. Lovely schemes. Hopefully before Christmas .Thalia Lorenzo.
Bye, Manni
"Ich hab' da mal was vorbereitet.": Jean Pütz
"Warum noch mehr Bausätze?!?": meine Frau

Offline Juan

• All gave some, some gave all.
« Reply #104 on: September 29, 2018, 09:49:24 PM »
Two more on the to buy list.  Those Halberstadts look great.