Author Topic: 3 Hanriots  (Read 36894 times)

Offline andonio64

• There's no hurry
Re: 3 Hanriots
« Reply #135 on: May 02, 2016, 02:57:43 AM »
Thank you Ernie, I hope the anchors will hold the tension of the elastic wire, I will glue them with Gel-CA glue hoping it will make a solid block after drying.

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #136 on: May 02, 2016, 03:41:08 AM »
   Great update Antonio. The custom decals will be a great feature and I really like your idea for double "terminals" for the rigging. This trio is going to be spectacular when finished, lovely work so far!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #137 on: May 02, 2016, 05:25:32 AM »
Really fantastic work on the decals and details!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline andonio64

• There's no hurry
« Reply #138 on: May 02, 2016, 06:13:20 AM »
Thanks Lance and Rick for your much appreciated comments

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #139 on: May 02, 2016, 07:47:25 AM »
Your rigging anchor points are a great idea and should prove to be very strong once glued, and you are making excellent progress with your 'home made' decals, well done so far.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline andonio64

• There's no hurry
« Reply #140 on: May 02, 2016, 05:56:30 PM »
Your rigging anchor points are a great idea and should prove to be very strong once glued, and you are making excellent progress with your 'home made' decals, well done so far.

Des.

Thanks Des, your comment is encouraging!

Antonio

Offline andonio64

• There's no hurry
« Reply #141 on: July 17, 2016, 01:11:54 AM »
Hallo everybody, I know I am not a rocket in updating my WIP, but lately some sort of lazyness at home caused especially by hard times at work keeps me off the pc and off the camera...

Nevertheless I have gone farther in my work and here is at last some update.
After taking the pics I realized there are a lot of defects showing off that do not come out to the naked eye. Well some are known but most of them are discovered from the pictures, and some of them will be corrected...

Another reason to the delay in updating is that I had trouble in printing the decals because of matching the good settings of Inkscape (the drawing tool I use) and my EPSON printer in order to get the desired colors. Many sheets were wasted and most of my probabilities to go to heaven went in the waste bin with them, hmmm I think badwords count in scaling down points from my heaven license don't they?

OK let's go:

here are the three cowlings seen from the frontal perspective, L to R Coppens, Scaroni, Michetti

Coppens' fuselage, the brush strokes are not visible to the natural light, I guess this is an effect of the flash light of my camera. The thistle was taken from an old Eduard HD 1 balloon buster kit.

Coppens' wings and tail planes top surfaces

bottom surfaces. I did not yet slide the roundels on the bottom of the lower wing because there is a hole to get the rigging out of the wing just beneath the roundel.

Views of the cockpit

Bottom and top views of the fuselage

Some additional details. The windscreen is the one provided by the kit, I think the French built HD1 had that windshield, so I kept it and painted it.
The MG is a 11 mm Vickers which is slightly different from the common 7 mm as shown here

I purchased the Gaspatch MG

The inner discs of the wheels were kept as the original aluminium factory finish as well as the bottom surface of the little wing between the wheels

Scaroni will be shown in next post, not toput too much in the same post.

Ciao

Antonio

Offline andonio64

• There's no hurry
« Reply #142 on: July 17, 2016, 01:28:12 AM »
Here are the pictures of Silvio Scaroni's plane.

In these days I am reading the second book (1934) he wrote about air warfare

it is good but I prefer this

written in 1922 less than 4 years after the armistice and written without the Fascist Regime putting some censorship on it, I did not find in this book any mention about the role Billy Barker and Steve Hudson had in igniting the combat of the Istrana Battle on Dec 26th 1917 and of course the support British and French squadrons gave to our Airforce.

Anyway here are the two sides of Scaroni's fuselage:

Wings and tailplanes (upper surfaces)

I have to print again the roundels because of the color errors I was talking about in the previous post...

Bottom surfaces

top and bottom views. The lacing decal moved a bit after positioning and I was not fast enough in getting it back to its straight shape...

Some views of the cockpit

other details: the Vickers are the 7 mm type (Gaspatch made) and the inner discs of the wheels and the lower surface of the inter-wheels wing were left in CDL color.
I painted the windshield provided by the kit, although the photos show thr Macchi built HD1s were equipped with a different one, so I decided to scratch build it as well.

That's all for Scaroni. His friend Michetti will get on stage in the next post.

Ciao

Antonio

« Last Edit: July 17, 2016, 01:36:26 AM by andonio64 »

Offline gbrivio

« Reply #143 on: July 17, 2016, 01:36:22 AM »
This is an excellent work, on a subject I like really much. Also a great inspiration, because I have an HD1 in the shelf and another one to be
dismantled and rebuilt. Complimenti, davvero!
Giuseppe

Offline andonio64

• There's no hurry
« Reply #144 on: July 17, 2016, 01:37:47 AM »
Grazie Giuseppe, I am about to post Michetti's plane pictures in a few minutes...

Offline andonio64

• There's no hurry
« Reply #145 on: July 17, 2016, 01:50:01 AM »
Here we are: Giorgio Michetti's plane.
He is not a top ace of the Italian airforce, he was credited 5 victories, well, enough to be called an ace, but he was one of the closest friends of Scaroni in the 76ma Squadriglia and he saved Scaroni's life in some occasions as Scaroni himself wrote in his books.

Moreover I love the sea horse marking he chose for his planes, that's one of the reasons I chose him!

Fuselage...
One of the decals got stained when I used Micro Sol on it, it was the last one I had so I decided to leave it as it is instead of printing a new sheet of decals...

Wings and tail planes upper surfaces, the sea horse is on the tail as well
The fin is shown not painted on the book about the aces planes (issued by the historical office of the Italian Airforce) the green coat over the CDL appears brushed in a great hurry and in this way I tried to paint it.

lower surfaces

bottom and top views

views of the cockpit

details, same comments done on Scaroni's windshield apply here. The MG is the one provided by the kit.

Well, that's all for now!!!

Ciao and thanks for looking

Antonio

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #146 on: July 17, 2016, 03:24:40 AM »
I do not know how I have not seen this before but three at once!! I have problems with one at a time……

The detail that you have achieved on these three models s just incredible. The idea of presenting three different examples is excellent - I have read through the whole thread and it has been both informative and inspirational. Brilliant.

Stephen.

Offline andonio64

• There's no hurry
« Reply #147 on: July 17, 2016, 03:57:48 AM »
Thanks a lot Stephen, I love to learn about the men who moved the machines I build, it's an amusing way to learn history...

As per presenting three different builds in parallel, well I understood it's not a funny way of modeling (to me at least) because I keep repeating the same things on the three models and due to my slowness it becomes sometimes boring. SO From next build on I will get back to single build logs!

:-)

Antonio

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #148 on: July 17, 2016, 05:04:28 AM »
Antonio,
    Nice to see this trio again, very impressive and the bits of history you've included are great background. Nicely done and I look forward to seeing them together when finished.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Ernie

• "Once more into the breach"
« Reply #149 on: July 17, 2016, 05:06:34 AM »
Very good update, Antonio!  The field paint job on Giorgio Michetti's aeroplane is
really well done and looks great.  You did a super job on the Belgian markings!
I like the colour of Scaroni's plane.  Well done, my friend!!

Cheers,
Ernie :)
The new old guy, take two...