Author Topic: 3 Hanriots  (Read 36465 times)

Offline lone modeller

Re: 3 Hanriots
« Reply #165 on: August 09, 2016, 03:31:25 AM »
Those look more impressive every time you add an extra post! The details of the rigging were very useful, but I was also take by the use of the eyelets for the attachment points for the rigging. Given the scale that is a truly impressive piece of modelling.

Stephen.

Offline gbrivio

« Reply #166 on: August 09, 2016, 07:42:38 PM »
These Hanriots are becoming more beautiful at every new shot. I'm looking to see the completed lineup!
Ciao,
Giuseppe

Offline andonio64

• There's no hurry
« Reply #167 on: August 09, 2016, 08:21:43 PM »
Thanks Stephen and Giuseppe!

Antonio

Offline andonio64

• There's no hurry
« Reply #168 on: August 09, 2016, 11:49:52 PM »
Hallo,
I am working now on the cabane of the three planes, I have placed the central MG on the Coppens plane and I was looking for visual clues about the MGs of Scaroni and Michetti.

In this photo, portraying Scaroni onboard of his plane:

the Vickers 7mm on the left has not the usual lever (unjam lever?) on its rear part, but as you can see in this magnified detail

there is a sort of rod going from the bullet feeding hole o a vertical lever on the rear side of the weapon.

The same appears in this photo taken at the Casoni airfield (home of the 76th Squadriglia for a while) of the Flavio Torello Baracchini (credited 31 victories).

So modifying the two MGs of Scaroni in this way and doing the same to the only MG of Michetti's plane appears as a likely hypothesis

In this detail I spotted the Aldis (or Aldis - like) gunsight which does not appear to be fixed to the cowling.

In this picture:

you see Leonida Schiona - 78th squadriglia - with his HD1 and again the gunsight appears anchored to the top horizontal tube of the cabane.

Therefore I will try to scratch two aldis and to hang them in this way for both the Italians.

I guess there was just one anchor point on the back of the viewing tube.

Any suggestion? Does anyone have any better picture of these 2 "variations"?

Thanks

Antonio
« Last Edit: August 09, 2016, 11:54:15 PM by andonio64 »

Offline andonio64

• There's no hurry
« Reply #169 on: August 10, 2016, 12:19:26 AM »
After showing the above photos, you could have noticed that all the pictures of the 76th sauadriglia planes taken at the Casoni airfield show dark planes with white "76".
This is the color schema I have adopted for the Michetti's plane.
Reading the Scaroni books I realized that when staying in the Istrana airfield the 76th had to withstand night bombing raids and had a lot of damages to their hangars and machines.
Reading further it seemed night fighting was not even conceived, but once, when the German bombers were spotted by the observers at the front, Scaroni took off and in the end he was able to force the bomber to land on his home field, then he understood night chase was possible and did other night flies.
After the Caporetto defeat the Italian armies were pushed back and the 76th was moved to Casoni (westward) and probably (this is my idea, but have no proof) they painted the planes in dark green to fly during the night.

So my Scaroni plane is the one he flew in Istrana, while Michetti's plane was used in the Casoni airfield.

Does anyone have any more precise information on this?

Thanks for your interest

Antonio

Offline andonio64

• There's no hurry
« Reply #170 on: August 15, 2016, 01:01:11 AM »
Hi friends,
I completed the work on the three cabanes, here go the results.

COPPENS

SCARONI

MICHETTI

I made the gunsight inserting a 0,5 mm round rod into two 0,8 small chunks to simulate the enlargement et both ends.
I did not find any better photo to determine the shape of the mechanism to suspend the gunsight to the cabane so I just imagined a way to do it!

Ciao

Antonio

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #171 on: August 15, 2016, 02:58:58 AM »
Imagined fixing or not it looks convincing enough to me! More excellent modelling - keep it up.

Stephen.

Offline andonio64

• There's no hurry
« Reply #172 on: August 15, 2016, 04:17:42 AM »
Thanks Stephen, I am pretty satisfied, although in the end the gunsight looks like that of a sniper gun...

Now I think I'll temporarily stop, Friday me and my wife will go to France (Périgord) for a few days of vacation, will be back at the end of August.

Ciao everybody!

Antonio

Offline andonio64

• There's no hurry
« Reply #173 on: September 10, 2016, 03:37:30 AM »
Some new works done in the previous days::

I fixed the elastic wire to the double buckles that I created in an ealier phase

Here are the 12 couples of cables

Detail view

I am trying some elastic thread found in a fishing shop round the corner:

less than 3 euros and no shiping charges ...
Quality appears good enough, it is transparent but I easily coloured it with a common marker.

Then I made the unjam levers as shown in the photos posted just above:

Ciao and thanks for looking!!!

AnDonio

Offline andonio64

• There's no hurry
« Reply #174 on: October 23, 2016, 03:10:08 AM »
Ciao!
Some steps ahead... unfortunately my normal slowness has been further ... slowed because of many work engagements and family disorders (not that dramatic but draining energies!)...

OK, here we go with some photos:

SCARONI

Scaroni was the only pilot in his squadriglia that wanted to double the arms onboard his machine, so he installed 2 Vickers..

MICHETTI

Here you see the only Vickers Macchi used to mount on the Italian built HD1s

So, that's all for now on the Italians, but... what about Coppens????

Well, yesterday evening and this afternoon I succeeded in finishing the Blue Devil!!!

here are the pics:

Now Scaroni is on the operating table...

Hugs to everybody and thanks for looking!!!

AnDonio

Offline Juan

• All gave some, some gave all.
« Reply #175 on: October 23, 2016, 05:04:53 AM »
Nice looking trio, looking forward to next update.

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #176 on: October 23, 2016, 11:29:00 AM »
AnDonio,
    Nice to see this trio again, and the great progress you've made. They are looking really good, and the "Blue Devil" is a beauty! I hope things settle down for you and really look forward to seeing all three completed and on display.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline andonio64

• There's no hurry
« Reply #177 on: October 23, 2016, 04:32:39 PM »
Thanks Juan and Lance!

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #178 on: October 24, 2016, 02:46:48 AM »
Excellent progress Antonio! I love the Coppens blue bird!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline andonio64

• There's no hurry
« Reply #179 on: October 31, 2016, 05:21:17 PM »
Thanks Rick!

In the meantime I found a few hours to dedicate to Scaroni's plane, yesterday evening at least he took off!!!

Today I have a day off work and will concentrate on Michetti's bird to complete the trio.

Here we go with the pictures:

Following are a couple of detail photos taken to show how the double wires look.
I am not completely satisfied, I like the solution of the double turnbuckles on the fuselage end, then I put a larger eyelet on the underside of the top wing to let the two wires go through, then I let one of the wires complete its path up until the eyelet near near the cabane struts and the other one was glued and cut to the larger eyelet beneath top wing. But in the end the effect is that they do not keep parallel and converge. Next time I'll think a different solution.

Thanks for looking!

Antonio