Author Topic: Copper State Models AEG C.IV  (Read 3265 times)

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
Copper State Models AEG C.IV
« on: September 03, 2018, 01:39:34 PM »
Edgar Liepinsh, General Manager of CSM, told me a few weeks ago, that they intend to release, at some yet to be announced time in the future, a line of limited run injected molded 1/48 scale kits based on some of the early resin product, such as the Dornier D.I and the AEG C.IV.  In anticipation, I built the Dornier and have now started the AEG. 
I began this project in early July, but due to issues with Photobucket, am just now getting around to posting my build log.  I apologize for so many photos all jammed together.
This is a very nice kit for it's age and I'm thoroughly enjoying this build, in spite of the many self imposed pit falls I continue to encounter.  I'm very much looking forward to the release of the injected series.

My first step was to drill out, pin and glue the upper wing outer panels to the center section.  While the glue cured, I taped the wings flat to get the proper alignment.

Next step was to clean up and paint the interior pieces.

Most of the interior pieces were installed through the bottom of the fuselage after the halves were glued together.  This was challenging and I hope CSM designs this differently on the injected kits.

I decided to replace the kit engine with a Mercedes D.IIIa from Karaya to save time on detailing.

PE fuselage details were added and the fuselage primed.
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline coyotemagic

• My Models
Re: Copper State Models AEG C.IV
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2018, 01:52:16 PM »
Painted, decaled, bottom wing attached and turnbuckles and anchor points added.

Top wing in place.  Now its time to start rigging.

Rigging done, time to add the undercarriage.

Hoping to have her done within the next couple days, so I can get started on my next project.

Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline smperry

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2018, 02:11:53 PM »
Looking real good Bud. I have that kit and had started it. I saw a photo of one in Turkish markings with the cowl open and mechanics standing around with a welding torch in hand. The caption mentioned there was only one torch on the front and it was much in demand.
Went as far as making crash molded cowl pieces out of 5 thou card. Funny thing, I just opened the box and looked it over a couple of days ago. I really enjoyed older CSM resin kits, I can imagine injection molded ones would be a treat. I will keep an eye out for those.  Looking forward to seeing how you finish this one .
sp
There is something fundamentally amiss with a society which forces it's modelers to work for a living.

Offline Borsos

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2018, 03:12:29 PM »
Very nice build of a not so often seen machine. I am keen on seeing her on her wheels. Somewhere in my stash the is a copy if this kit, I always intended to convert it into an AEG J. I.
Best regards
Andreas
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline aliluke

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2018, 04:30:37 PM »
That looks great especially the paint work on the camouflage.

I have a question - what is the punch set that you have?

Thanks,
Alistair
It ain't a hobby if you have to hurry.

Online Juan

• All gave some, some gave all.
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2018, 09:39:32 PM »
Simply outstanding Bud.  You are making a masterpiece out of this older CSM kit.  Looking forward to your progress.

Offline PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2018, 05:46:41 PM »
Great work on that AEG, Bud! It will be a very fine model, I am sure.
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Offline Manni

• Der Militärmodellbauer
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2018, 07:40:29 PM »
Superb work, Bud! Very nice camo scheme and a very clean build.
Bye,
Manni
"Ich hab' da mal was vorbereitet.": Jean Pütz
"Warum noch mehr Bausätze?!?": meine Frau

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2018, 11:34:52 PM »
Great results with a very basic Kit Bud, you've certainly applied your "coyote magic" to this one! The photos are very impressive and as Alistair has commented, the cam. paint job is superb. Looks like another real winner for your collection.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline coyotemagic

• My Models
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2018, 06:32:57 AM »
Looking real good Bud. I have that kit and had started it. I saw a photo of one in Turkish markings with the cowl open and mechanics standing around with a welding torch in hand. The caption mentioned there was only one torch on the front and it was much in demand.
Went as far as making crash molded cowl pieces out of 5 thou card. Funny thing, I just opened the box and looked it over a couple of days ago. I really enjoyed older CSM resin kits, I can imagine injection molded ones would be a treat. I will keep an eye out for those.  Looking forward to seeing how you finish this one .
sp
Thanks, Steven!  I'm looking forward to them, too.  Of course, I'll have to build another.
Cheers,
Bud

Offline coyotemagic

• My Models
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2018, 06:36:09 AM »
Very nice build of a not so often seen machine. I am keen on seeing her on her wheels. Somewhere in my stash the is a copy if this kit, I always intended to convert it into an AEG J. I.
Best regards
Andreas
Thank you, Andreas!  Get that baby out and build it!  I'd really like to see you work your magic on this one.  I've got the Jager Miniatures J.I in my stash and I'll probably start that one early 2019.
Cheers,
Bud

Offline coyotemagic

• My Models
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2018, 06:39:26 AM »
That looks great especially the paint work on the camouflage.

I have a question - what is the punch set that you have?

Thanks,
Alistair
Thanks, Alistair!  The punch set is an old product from Micro-Mark, item #83513.
https://www.micromark.com/Micro-Punch-Set
Cheers,
Bud

Offline coyotemagic

• My Models
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2018, 06:44:34 AM »
Thank you, Juan, Przemo, Manni and Lance!  She's finally finished!

Photos of the completed model can be found in the aforementioned section of this very same forum.  Thanks for you support and kind comments, my friends!
Cheers,
Bud

Offline smperry

« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2018, 06:55:47 AM »
Very nice Bud. I think you nailed the camo colors perfectly. An uncommonly fine model of an uncommon aircraft. You are making me whistle and look the other way as I pass the stash from which my CSM AEG C.IV is giving me the stink eye. It will just have to wait it's turn.
sp
There is something fundamentally amiss with a society which forces it's modelers to work for a living.

Offline aliluke

« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2018, 04:30:36 PM »
That looks stunning Bud especially at 1/48. I have no knowledge of this aircraft so will have to research. Thanks too for the advice on the punch set - my order will be placed soon as I need one and that fits the need.

Cheers,
Alistair
It ain't a hobby if you have to hurry.