Author Topic: 1/32 Special Hobby Morane Saulnier Type N  (Read 19208 times)

Offline Umlaufmotor

Re: 1/32 Special Hobby Morane Saulnier Type N
« Reply #45 on: October 02, 2018, 01:20:03 AM »
Two things come together in this built report:
First, -  a very nice and finely implemented kit 
and secondly, - a talented modeler who knows how to get the most out of this kit.
I have been laying this model uncut for many years on the shelf - a pleasure for me to watch you build.
Bravo, Ryan!

Servus
Bertl

Offline Ryan

« Reply #46 on: October 02, 2018, 02:28:42 AM »
Two things come together in this built report:
First, -  a very nice and finely implemented kit 
and secondly, - a talented modeler who knows how to get the most out of this kit.
I have been laying this model uncut for many years on the shelf - a pleasure for me to watch you build.
Bravo, Ryan!

Servus
Bertl

Too kind sir, many thanks.

Ryan
In Progress: 1/32 Albatross DV (Richthofen); 1/32 Morane Saulnier Type N; 1/32 Sopwith Pup
Upcoming: Not sure!

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #47 on: October 02, 2018, 02:45:17 AM »
I have written before that this is a model with much potential. My words are coming true with each update.

Stephen.

Offline Ryan

« Reply #48 on: October 02, 2018, 04:35:50 AM »
I have written before that this is a model with much potential. My words are coming true with each update.

Stephen.

Thanks sir, I will try to up the standard!
In Progress: 1/32 Albatross DV (Richthofen); 1/32 Morane Saulnier Type N; 1/32 Sopwith Pup

Bughunter

« Reply #49 on: October 02, 2018, 05:07:10 AM »
Very clean and careful build, Sir!
You are doing the hard work and doing all in plastic :o

A year ago I build it in 1/48 and taking the easy way - I replaced round plastic parts directly with metal. No need to paint it :)

Cheers,
Frank

Offline Ryan

« Reply #50 on: October 02, 2018, 05:15:32 AM »
Very clean and careful build, Sir!
You are doing the hard work and doing all in plastic :o

A year ago I build it in 1/48 and taking the easy way - I replaced round plastic parts directly with metal. No need to paint it :)

Cheers,
Frank

Wow thanks for that link, not only is it stellar work, you have some details I haven't quite worked out yet.

Ryan

Offline Ryan

« Reply #51 on: October 02, 2018, 10:19:10 PM »
Under the heading of why is he showing us this?

As I was assembling the struts and V structures the sanding and filing needed changes the leading edge profiles of the strut. As you sand deeper into the leading edge the wider the strut will get, it could even vary in width from the top to bottom.

So I cant remember where I first learned this trick, but here it is. By painting the edge with a contrasting color you can see how much you need to sand the left and right sides of the strut to get a continuous edge. The more so sand the thinner the edge will get, the paint helps you gauge when to stop.

Morane by The 3rd Placer, on Flickr

After a while you can get nice even edges.

The paint can then be removed with a little thinner or light sanding. BTW the only part I glued last nite was the wing warping crank!

And another beauty shot....

Thanks,
Ryan

Online lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #52 on: October 02, 2018, 11:50:15 PM »
Ryan,
    Bertl has said it very well; your talents are getting the most out of this less then perfect Kit and resulting in a real "quality" Build. I've considered this Kit several times in the past few years, your work here has now convinced me that I NEED one! Lovely work so far, keep up the high standard.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Ryan

« Reply #53 on: October 03, 2018, 02:43:15 AM »
Thanks Icarroll.

I would get yourself one, it's not that bad of a kit.

Ryan

Offline gbrivio

« Reply #54 on: October 03, 2018, 03:39:45 AM »
Very clean work, it's becoming a beautiful model MS.
Ciao
Giuseppe

Offline Ryan

« Reply #55 on: October 03, 2018, 09:56:17 PM »
last evenings work did not fail to keep me on my toes as I started attaching the photo etch elevator horns to the tail. First order of business was to drill out the holes that allow the rigging pass through the Morane's fuselage. I simply drilled directly down and then re inserted the bit at an angle to clear the oval.

My technique for apply small PE varies but in this case it was a swabbing of Tamiya extra thin to soften the plastic and allow me to "plant' the horn in place. The wet plastic will give you enough time to position the part at the precise angle you need. To set the part I use cut down mini brushes and extra thin super glue.

And the result.

Of course just because I need the practice i managed to launch one of the horns into space and lost it for good! I carefully srcratched a replacement horn on plastic for the underneath...these things happen.

In the end I was quite pleased wit the result, it will be hard to notice it is a replacement piece once painted.

Since the plastic is very thin, I do worry about bending of the horn under load with rigging, but I have a plan for that.

As always thanks for reading.

Ryan

Offline Ryan

« Reply #56 on: October 04, 2018, 09:49:34 PM »
Did a small rigging test on a scrap piece of plastic to see if it would flex, it seems to work just fine. Rigging is EZ Line with Vajello Black paint mixed with white glue for the turnbuckle (mounted to a bathroom plastic cup).

Ryan

Rigging Test by The 3rd Placer, on Flickr

Offline Umlaufmotor

« Reply #57 on: October 04, 2018, 10:04:52 PM »
Good idea with the scrap-plastic horn!!
 ........Ryan, your wife will be delighted to discover that all the plastic cups in the bathroom are secured with tension cables....  ;)

Servus
Bertl

Online lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #58 on: October 04, 2018, 10:19:25 PM »
    Brilliant "Trial and Fitment" test Ryan. Just more impressive attention to detail on this Build, great work!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Ryan

« Reply #59 on: October 04, 2018, 11:29:59 PM »
Hehe, yes I love those small cups I mix paint on them, use them as glue pallets etc!

Thanks for comments.

Ryan