Author Topic: 1/32 Special Hobby Morane Saulnier Type N  (Read 19216 times)

Offline lone modeller

Re: 1/32 Special Hobby Morane Saulnier Type N
« Reply #60 on: October 05, 2018, 04:16:43 AM »
I am sure that nobody will notice the new control horn when it is disguised with a coat of paint. I also like your turnbuckle idea as I have been giving these a lot of thought recently: I may be trying yours out at some time in the future when I start to rig the Gunbus.

Stephen.

Offline Ryan

« Reply #61 on: October 05, 2018, 04:43:49 AM »
Yes Stephen with great respect to the talented modelrs on this site, I will not be adding turn buckles or other rigging complications to already complicated models. I'm going to try and fake as much as i can!

Ryan
In Progress: 1/32 Albatross DV (Richthofen); 1/32 Morane Saulnier Type N; 1/32 Sopwith Pup
Upcoming: Not sure!

Offline Ryan

« Reply #62 on: October 05, 2018, 04:46:03 AM »
The best thing abut my rigging policy is i'm just fine with it! :)

Ryan
In Progress: 1/32 Albatross DV (Richthofen); 1/32 Morane Saulnier Type N; 1/32 Sopwith Pup

Offline Ryan

« Reply #63 on: October 05, 2018, 10:04:28 PM »
Back again with an update.

I managed to get the tail suck on, but before I did that I notched out a landing spot for the rudder horns. This way after painting and decaling they would have a nice recessed area to glue to.

First up was drawing the line, I kept symmetry on each side by using a piece of tape to hold the mark a determined distance equally on both sides.

Morane by The 3rd Placer, on Flickr

The notch was made with a scribing tool to accept the previously measured horn,

And the result after cleanup.

Thanks,
Ryan

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #64 on: October 07, 2018, 05:37:22 AM »
Ryan,
Having been away for a while I am totally impressed by your work! Very nice detailing, painting of the interior, and overall construction! I am looking forward to seeing the build completed! Beautiful!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Ryan

« Reply #65 on: October 08, 2018, 11:12:57 AM »
Thanks RAG!

Unfortunately I've had a bit of a problem correcting a self inflicted problem with the wings. I was trying to repair some over sanding I did on the leading edge with primer and it went south.

So I have sent for replacement parts and they should arrive soon, Special Hobby has a good customer service program. I'm sure I'll still pot away at it here and there but really need the wings.

Ryan

Offline Ryan

« Reply #66 on: October 08, 2018, 11:18:51 AM »
A discussed earlier SH left the MS emblem out of the kit and this PE set is a must.

Ryan

Offline aliluke

« Reply #67 on: October 15, 2018, 03:56:38 PM »
Hi Ryan
Just got my kit and liking the way it looks - and I will be keeping up with your build when it gets going again. I'll probably also pester you with questions...First off - did you use the supplied instrument "film" for the dials? And if so how is it applied? Straight away I don't get this as I have never encountered it before.

And could you give me the dimensions for your scatched floor? It looks like a very good add.

Sorry to bug you.

Thanks,
Alistair
It ain't a hobby if you have to hurry.

Offline Ryan

« Reply #68 on: October 15, 2018, 10:30:05 PM »
Hi Ryan
Just got my kit and liking the way it looks - and I will be keeping up with your build when it gets going again. I'll probably also pester you with questions...First off - did you use the supplied instrument "film" for the dials? And if so how is it applied? Straight away I don't get this as I have never encountered it before.

And could you give me the dimensions for your scatched floor? It looks like a very good add.

Sorry to bug you.

Thanks,
Alistair

Great news Alistair, here are some answers.

1. I tossed the film for decals, the reason I did this was twofold. First off the PE bezels designed to "cap off" the film would have never looked right (nor looked like they would even fit!), you already have a well for the dial to sit in why complicate it more. I went with Airscale decals and was satisfied with that, once cleared over the decals have a glass bezel appearance. If you do want to punish your self with the film, the idea is to paint the back of the film white the cut it to fit the instrument....no thanks!

2. The floor was sized to the built up cockpit frame, so I don't have dimensions. If you check out some earlier posts, I assembled the whole frame before painting.  The frame is hardly symmetrical or square, I just found it easier to design the floor fit it to the assembled frame.

You don't bug me, I hope my replacement wings show up soon.

Ryan

Offline Ryan

« Reply #69 on: October 22, 2018, 11:07:45 PM »
My new wings have arrived from Special Hobby and I will continue work very soon.

Very good service from Special Hobby, they replaced them at no cost, even though I had ruined the parts!

Ryan

Offline aliluke

« Reply #70 on: December 12, 2018, 03:29:39 PM »
Hi Ryan
Just thinking I'd do this kit next. So a question for one more experienced than me...do you anneal the PE parts as you would for brass? They look like some sort of white metal and I have no idea how to treat them?

I look forward to your future progress. Not sure when I'll get going - summer is upon us and the beach beckons.

Cheers
Alistair
It ain't a hobby if you have to hurry.

Offline Manni

• Der Militärmodellbauer
« Reply #71 on: December 12, 2018, 04:17:59 PM »
I really don't know how I managed to miss this spectacular build. Great work and outstanding additions. Now I will follow this build more carefully.
Bye,
Manni
"Ich hab' da mal was vorbereitet.": Jean Pütz
"Warum noch mehr Bausätze?!?": meine Frau

Offline Ryan

« Reply #72 on: December 12, 2018, 11:58:34 PM »
Oh thanks Manni, yes I must get back to it...been stuck in Richthofen land.

Ryan

Offline Ryan

« Reply #73 on: April 27, 2020, 10:52:22 AM »
Dusted this shelf queen off for a big update. First up was some wing work, the plastic is chunky but easy to carve and sand. After about an hour I went from this...…

1/32 Morane Type N by The 3rd Placer, on Flickr

To this....

Ryan

Offline Ryan

« Reply #74 on: April 27, 2020, 10:57:01 AM »
Next up was the metal fairings at the rear of the cockpit. The fit is not precise and I'm sure the rivet detail will be obliterated.

I slathered on the putty and let it dry over nite.

Ryan