Author Topic: 1/32 Special Hobby Morane Saulnier Type N  (Read 18970 times)

Offline xan

Re: 1/32 Special Hobby Morane Saulnier Type N
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2018, 11:56:29 PM »
A bullet ? great!
What marking did you choose?

Xan
"Zwei Armeen, die sich bekämpfen, sind eine grosse Armee, die Selbstmord an sich übt."
Barbusse.
"Une montagne en Allemagne ne peut pas offenser une montagne en France. Ou une rivière ou une forêt ou un champ de blé."
Remarque.

Offline Ryan

« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2018, 01:31:43 AM »
Thanks Xan, I don't have the box in front of me, but the one with the black cowling.

Ryan
In Progress: 1/32 Albatross DV (Richthofen); 1/32 Morane Saulnier Type N; 1/32 Sopwith Pup
Upcoming: Not sure!

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2018, 03:21:03 AM »
Excellent updates showing a first class model in the making.

Stephen.

Offline Ryan

« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2018, 03:45:38 AM »
Stephen what a wonderful comment, thanks, but far from first class.
Just been doing this for 30 years and know how to fix mistakes.

Ryan
In Progress: 1/32 Albatross DV (Richthofen); 1/32 Morane Saulnier Type N; 1/32 Sopwith Pup

Offline Ryan

« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2018, 09:50:52 PM »
Boring update, but made progress sealing up the fuselage.

A large gap was filled with plastic at the back of the cockpit opening, the rest of the seams were sealed up with superglue.

I used a homemade mini sanding block instead of sanding stick to preserve the sharp edges of the stringers. These are pretty easy to make, just scrap plastic, tape and sandpaper. Double sided tape secures the sand paper to the face of the unit.

Morane by The 3rd Placer, on Flickr

Ryan

Offline Dave W

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2018, 09:58:58 PM »
Very nice work! I have this kit in the stash and have almost started making it several times. Your build shows what can be achieved with this model so I'm closely following this.

Thanks for sharing the build with us.

cheers

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia
Owner and Administrator of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Ryan

« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2018, 12:20:39 AM »
Well the boss has checked in, thanks Dave!

Ryan

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2018, 02:01:34 AM »
First class modelling continuing....

Stephen.

Offline Monty

« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2018, 03:52:08 AM »
Some lovely clean and neat modelling, so far, Ryan! Looking forward to more! I do like the engine... Regards, Marc

Offline jeroen_R90S

« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2018, 03:55:43 AM »
Very nice so far! I like your sanding block too, I use them like this too, but never got the idea to put a handle on it to make handling easier! :)

Offline Ryan

« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2018, 10:17:42 PM »
Thanks for checking in Monty, Stephen, and Jeroen and your comments are much appreciated.

Final fuselage seam prep was completed last night so it's time to stick more parts on! I did have a slight problem with the paint lifting just above the head rest.
As I sanded across the corner the paint became loose. I'm baffled by this as it has a solid coat of Tamiya primer under the paintwork. I will confess that the linen color I used
is Deck Tan from Vajello, this stuff wont stick unless primer is applied. The special Hobby plastic may be the culprit as it has slight waxy feel to it. I can say that I had to paint the stringers and natural metal inside the fuselage a few items to get it to look right and each time I laid tape on the parts I had no lifting problem what so ever..... My fix for the lifting paint was thin super glue wicked into the splayed open gap to re-stick the paint, it worked but this will be something I have to be very careful with moving forward.

Anyway back to the part sticking. The tail skid assembly arrived in the box minus a leg, it was broken off and nowhere to be found. Rummaging through my scrap styrene pile I found a rod that could take its place and glued it on. The new rod was perfectly round while the kits molded ones were imprecise and out of round. The fragile nature of this assembly forced me into gluing it to the fuselage and cleaning up after the glue set. The following pics are the part in is rough state before cleaning. It may also not be true to 90 degrees when looking straight on, this I can adjust with saw kerfs once its clean and set.

Thanks for looking.
Ryan

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2018, 02:43:25 AM »
As Mark has written, this is lovely clean modelling. You really are making this one quickly but there is no loss of quality.

Stephen.

Offline Ryan

« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2018, 10:15:34 PM »
Work continues, as mentioned before I needed to true the tail skid assembly to the center line. My unorthodox method for this was to simply cut (2) of the legs and re-attach to align the structure with the fuselage center line. The final task was to re cement and reinforce the struts with super glue. I know butchery, but it works!

Once dry and sanded the evidence of the crime scene is not noticeable.

Final shot is just a beauty pass with the elegant tail loosely attached.

Thanks
Ryan

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: September 29, 2018, 01:17:18 AM »
    Nice recovery work on the tail skid assembly Ryan, this is coming together beautifully.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Juan

• All gave some, some gave all.
« Reply #29 on: September 29, 2018, 01:35:06 AM »
Looking good Ryan (PS: I have a kit that has the same issue of a missing portion of tail assembly, will start looking thru my plastic stock).