Author Topic: Uploading Photos  (Read 38510 times)

Offline Ian from Doncaster

Uploading Photos
« on: April 20, 2012, 05:31:16 PM »
Please can someone advise me how to upload photos here - my files are too big to add as attachments, even when cropped. 

All advice gratefully received :)

Offline Ian from Doncaster

Re: Uploading Photos
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2012, 08:12:59 PM »
Thank you - I now have photobucket :)

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2012, 02:47:11 AM »
Im a technological dinosaur and after a few trys photobucket even works for me.

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2012, 11:55:17 AM »
Thanks guys for your comments on photo uploading.

There are three pretty good photo sharing sites;

Photobucket
Fliker
Picasa
or upload from your own URL

These are all free sites and offer good facilities. It is very easy to upload your photos onto those sites then it is a simple matter to place them onto this forum through the ''insert image" button. A good size to put your photos into these photo sharing site is 800, this being the largest dimension of your photo with the other dimension being in ratio. When photos are inserted onto this forum they will be loaded at 600x600, anything larger will be reduced to this size, anything smaller will not be affected. Photo size and attachments take up a lot of storage on a forum so I will have to keep a check on the usage in these early days.

Thanks guys,

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline wunwinglow

• Flying Start Swordfish Build, in progress
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2012, 06:09:38 PM »
As a viewer, I find the Photobucket type of image hosting to be a royal pain in the backside! Come back in a few months, or weeks even, and all the images have vanished. Which is useless if you are researching something some time after the original posting was made. A much better solution is to buy a little bit of web space, you get your own web address, a chunk of storage space on-line that you can upload your own photos and other files, link to them as, when and where you wish, use the space as back-up storage, quite apart from a bunch of e-mail addresses and other features. The advantage is the pictures are availalbe until you decide to remove them, not Photobucket.  Web packages are available from multiple sources for only a few dollars, and will usually come with file transfer porgrams and much more. I use www.1and1.co.uk, but there are thousands of others. No commercial links, just a happy customer. They host all my sites such as www.flyingstart.info and others.

Right, back to working on my WNW F2b!!

Tim

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2012, 06:06:07 AM »
hmmmm....didnt know that. Once again you learn something every day - specially here!!!

Steve

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2012, 01:00:20 PM »
i have noticed that sometimes i will visit an old thread and there will be a box where the pic used to be saying the photo was removed. i always thought this was removed by the original poster from his/her own photobucket account to free up space or such. so you are saying photobucket removed the hotlink url locations from places for no apparent reason? confused?

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2012, 02:20:53 PM »
I have had photos on my photobucket album for over three years and never lost a photo, maybe what Red has said is the reason for people losing photos.

Des.

Offline Jamo

• Wellington, NZ
    • My Smugmug album
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2012, 06:09:08 PM »
Yes it happend when people reorganise their albums. If you don't reorganise, the photo will remain viewable
Happy Modelling
James Fahey

Check out my massive photo collection here: https://jamesfahey.smugmug.com/

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2012, 06:54:22 AM »
thats is what i always figured, or that someone had to delete old photos to make room for new ones.

Offline Adam

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2012, 10:57:28 PM »
I never had problem with Photobucket, but some times I remove some not important pictures to make room for new pictures.
In such case in tread were this picture was, is visible message that picture was removed or deleted.

Adam.

Offline IFF1418

« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2013, 08:24:52 PM »
Hello,

For those having trouble with the size of the pictures to attach or download. I use a freeware program named BDsizer : http://bd-sizer.en.softonic.com/. I always take the pictures in RAW format, edit it if neccessairy, save it in jpeg format and than pass it trhough the BDsizer. An example of the gain of space : raw format : 27Mb in raw, 10 Mb in jpeg and after the Bdsizer session : 280Kb. The quality is very decent. By the way I did not have any difficulties with photobucket up till now.

Kind regards
Patrick

Offline Cimmerian

« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2013, 01:29:48 AM »
I use imgur. You can set the size from a list of options before you upload. Just select the message board option and you've good to go...and it's free. :)
Regards, Ken

It's not worth doing something unless someone, somewhere, would much rather you weren't doing it.”

Offline radio

« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2013, 02:26:35 AM »
DES is posible to make the size a little bigger? Like for a single picture up to 178kb and for five  up to 400 kb.

Regards
              Martin

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2013, 07:21:18 AM »
Hi Martin,

When loading photos as an attachment they are very limited in size (kb's) hence the small size, these restrictions are put in place by my forum host, not me, and I can't change them.

To post larger photos you will need to store yur photos in a photo storage site like Photobucket or Picasa for example, these sites are free to use and allow you to store an enormous amount of photos. Once stored it is a simple matter to tranbsfer your photos from your storage site to the forum by using the photo URL, the photo will be posted on the forum at 600 x 600 but a simple click will enlarge it to what ever size the original photo is. Naturally, if you store your photos smaller than 600 x 600 they will only be posted on the forum at the size you saved them as.

Most photo sharing sites are very easy to use and have the option to store your photos privately or you can share them with the rest of the world, your choice. I use Picasa, it is a really easy site to use, I have never had an issue with the site and photos transfer instantly, our members use a variety of photo sharing sites so it is up to you which one you would prefer.

Des.