Author Topic: Uploading Photos  (Read 38526 times)

Offline radio

Re: Uploading Photos
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2013, 09:21:19 AM »
Hi Des thank you for your answere. I will think about these photo storage sites.
Regards    Martin

Offline Gordon Wells

« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2014, 08:22:30 AM »
What happened to the good old days when you could upload images straight from your computer . All modelling sites seem to want you to join Face book, Twitter or one of the other photo imaging sites before letting you post pictures . I don't want to spend all my nights on the computer moving pictures around , that's my modelling time wasted . So I guess you will not be getting any Pictures of my work .
Gordon
I Never Make The Same Mistake Twice . I make it five or six times just to make sure !!!

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2014, 08:48:58 AM »
TRB is quite correct in what he has said, to upload photos as an attachment directly from you computer costs quite a lot to the forum and uses a lot of download, free photo hosting sites are just that, free and easy to use and allows for much larger images to be posted.

This forum does allow you to attach photos but you will be limited to 5 images per post with a total maximum of 192kb, max individual size is 128kb. The images are posted as very small and cannot be enlarged.

Des.

Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2014, 08:57:46 AM »
The above is all true, plus the dedicated (& free) photo hosting sites have tools you could never dream of for images hosted on a forum. Plus, if you like to share some of your images on multiple sites -- it is easy peasy, just copy the link and paste, the photo is already uploaded.

Offline Gordon Wells

« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2014, 06:49:59 AM »
Thanks for the very quick replies , I can now see the reason why this is now the norm on modelling sites . I guess the best thing is to find an imaging hosting site that suits my needs so I can post pictures and get feed back that will help me improve my finishing on WW1 Aircraft .
Thanks again for the reasons .
Gordon
I Never Make The Same Mistake Twice . I make it five or six times just to make sure !!!

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2014, 07:37:29 PM »
I hope you do decide to use a photo hosting site Gordon, we would love to see photos of your work.

Des.

Offline Andi Little

« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2014, 08:42:41 PM »
Gordon ....

Please allow me to recommend "Photobucket", it has served me well, and reliably for many years now. And apart from the occasional "upgrade or improvement" ... "read" additions of bells and whistles to keep the kids happy? has remained user friendly and relatively (in respect of me being a technoprat) intuitive.

Polite request to other users of Photobucket - When I am enjoying posted images and click on the pic' to see in it greater detail I am grossly irritated to see the revolving wheel of doom while my leaky connection attempts to connect with "your" photobucket account. Perhaps I'm the only one irritated by this - and I am now quite proud of my ageing irascibility ... but I do tend to just kill the link and move on. I haven't I suspect enough life left to indulge that damn spinning wheel.
........... apologies for the outburst.
KBO ............. Andi.

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2014, 03:39:32 AM »
@Andi -- i tend to agree but unfortunately Photobucket made this the default mode for sharing an image, you can change this in your PB account settings but I suspect for many people that's a level of savvy too high.

Offline Andi Little

« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2014, 05:34:00 AM »

Right then .... firstly allow me to say there was no edge in my statement - if we'd been face to face you would of detected a half smile.
It is a little tiresome though, so - based on Bo's assumption that I might be a computer whizz in order to circumnavigate this problem ... And I most certainly am not by the way. I had a bit of a look see .................

And it turns out to be quite easy .......... when you navigate to your album - and then pic' ... you all know that if you hover you get a drop down menu, to whit you click on "get links" - easy so far. Now then the problem arises here - Number four down is marked "image codes" for forums and boards ... and to be quite honest most folk will happily gravitate towards the instruction provided and it works!! But, It also opens the whole Photobucket in another page thing - making people wait if they're on a slow connection - and a little awkward for those that "cherry pick" the images that they choose to enlarge - (like me).
If you want to get an image that just enlarges on the forum page till you click again to reduce it ... you have to choose the second option down "Direct" .... bring that into your message reply box, and just one extra move, you have to click on the little "Mona Lisa" on the tool bar above - this will give you two "img" legends just paste between them ............. as so ...........

TaDaa ............................. I'm not a whizz by any means I just happened to arrive here having used this direct method of posting on previous sites back when the internet was powered by steam.

Hope you all take this in the spirit in which it was intend - I would never ruffle feathers a purpose, not knowingly anyway.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2014, 06:01:04 AM by Andi Little »
KBO ............. Andi.

Offline Jamo

• Wellington, NZ
    • My Smugmug album
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2014, 05:46:16 AM »
@Andi -- i tend to agree but unfortunately Photobucket made this the default mode for sharing an image, you can change this in your PB account settings but I suspect for many people that's a level of savvy too high.

Hi Bo
That level of savvy was too high for me but I aspire to rise above that. Could you please provide more details? I am keen to adopt this
Cheers
James
Happy Modelling
James Fahey

Check out my massive photo collection here: https://jamesfahey.smugmug.com/

Offline Ian from Doncaster

« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2014, 06:50:02 AM »
If you use photobucket, and click on the 4th option, you can edit the code within your post.  If you delete all but the [img... filename ../img] section from the link code, then you get the photo in the message board, without opening another window for photobucket.

Offline Jamo

• Wellington, NZ
    • My Smugmug album
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2014, 09:34:49 AM »
Like this?

Happy Modelling
James Fahey

Check out my massive photo collection here: https://jamesfahey.smugmug.com/

Offline Ian from Doncaster

« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2014, 10:11:03 AM »
Precisely James.  The photobucket link used to work directly, then they changed it for some reason.  One day I looked at the code I had copied, and saw the file name was not only wrapped by the [img] but further repeated within [url]. I tried a few variants of the code until I worked out which seemed to work.  A bit of a pain to delete the [url] stuff for each pic, but does the job.

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2014, 11:28:49 AM »
If you use photobucket, and click on the 4th option, you can edit the code within your post.  If you delete all but the [img... filename ../img]http://section from the link code, then you get the photo in the message board, without opening another window for photobucket.

Yeah but there is an easier way, less prone to error (erasing too much, or not enough). Actually two ways.

Method #1 Fix your photobucket once and for all.
1) Log in via web browser (not mobile app, doesn't work).
2) Go to account settings (drop down menu found under your name in the upper left).
3) click "Albums" tab
4) uncheck "link back to albums" :

Now you can copy the image code with one click from any image in your bucket by clicking on the box marked 1 below:

Method #2 -- use the direct link instead of image code.
1) click on the box labeled 2 on the image above -- this is the actual URL of your image. It will be copied to your clipboard.
2) back at the forum, in the post message editor, click the insert image button (Mona Lisa).
3) Ctrl-V (Win) or Cmd-V (MacOS). The URL will be inserted between the BBCode image tags.

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2014, 11:52:17 AM »
In my opinion the best photo hosting site is picasa, no hassles, one click loading, as easy as pie to use and to transfer photos to a forum, and it's fee.
I got sick and tired of the problems I used to have with photobucket, they totally ruined what used to be a good site, so for the past two years I have used picasa without any issues at all, but, it all boils down to personal choice.

Des.