Author Topic: Siemens-Schuckert D.III, Eduard 1/48 Update 23.9.2018 Rigging  (Read 2180 times)

Online Bughunter

Thank you my friends for the great feedback!

Being in the larger scale I was able to use 8 layers of veneer, it took a lot more time then the standard props I usually produce.
Lance, you are so right! After zooming in the 8 layers are clearly visible in my picture of the original prop. And sand the layers down to 0,4 I have also already done for other propellers, I just started not carefully enough ::)
May be one day I will build also the red/blue/alu one, since there are two sets on the Aviattic page, so I can do it better next time!

It features a Wotan logo on each blade
Dave, thanks for the great pictures! The dark, red coloring is very interesting compared to the Wotan here in Munich. I will add decals after painting. Eduard provided some in the kit, but I have also others. I will take the better ones.

Most excellent work. one of the prettiest wooden props I have seen.
Thank you very much, nice to hear such compliment!
I think my others produced (also here shown) are even better, mostly to mention the Axial of my Pfalz D.IIIa, the three kinds of wood Fokker E.V and the most crazy one: my only 1/72 on the Fokker E.V Stripdown.

If I would start a commercial production, what would be a price, someone would pay for such quality? 25$ for 1/48, 30$ for 1/32? I guess, this is already to high, but still do not not pay back my handcraft effort :(

Can you say more about the wood you used? What kind is it? What thickness? Where can such pieces be had?
As I wrote on top of the veneer picture both are "pear wood", just different pieces. As wood is a nature product, every tree is different.
I have peer veneer of a little bit thicker as 0,5mm. You can buy it in the internet from 0,5..0,8mm my many specialized shops, just google for "veneer". The problem is more to get a small amount, often is is sold e.g. many blades of 2,60m length, so high shipping costs and much more then needed. Again, since it is a nature product, you have to see, whats offered. So I checked some shops from time to time for a offer of some smaller sizes and rests.
On ebay there are also offerings of e.g. 20 blades of different kind of veneers each A4 (or letter) size. Not all kinds are usable here, but nice for first experiments.
Not for all kinds I have veneer, here my dark pear was sold in two pieces to be used as knife handle. I cutted my own veneer from it on my little circular saw Proxxon KS230.
The thickness should be sanded down to the needed size, depending on the thickness of the complete propeller (often the kit propeller is helpful) and count the layers on a original picture. For the 1/72 airscrew I have sanded it to very very thin layers.

So, I hope I answered all questions. So I can start now to prepare the next update.

Cheers,
Frank
Wikipedia says: A model is a simplified representation of reality.
So I create downscaled originals.

Online Bughunter

Siemens-Schuckert D.III, Eduard 1/48 Update 1.8.2018 Cockpit
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2018, 02:44:12 AM »
Cockpit

For this project I will use the matching Windsock Datafile:

Source: windsockdatafilespecials.co.uk

Since I plan to use the Aviattic decal set for this kit I removed the stitching details according to the description on the decals.

A lot of parts are cleaned, some parts are glued into fuselage halves and primed white:

The first parts are painted acrylic "Wood base" and got some structure with "Wood grain".

With airbrush I added a layer of a mix Gunze Clear Yellow with Clear Orange so the brown something looks more like "varnished wood".

After painting some small parts with black and metalize others the assembly starts, here with the floor. I often used the fabric seat belts from Eduard/HGW, but now the first time for the intended kit. Some PE is included too.

The left half is prepared. First decals and glasses with Kristal Klear improves the "clocks".

The right half with compass.

The top cover with pipes, gun carrier etc and engine wall. Fuel tank was painted brass according to manual, but I think it will not be visible later.

At first I glued the right side to the floor, the aileron linkage has to be mounted at the same time followed by the top cover. The engine wall is not yet glued and can be plugged in later from the front.

After adding the left side the fuselage is drying.

Conclusion until now: Great kit!

Cheers
Frank

Online lcarroll

• Global Moderator
Re: Siemens-Schuckert D.III, Eduard 1/48 Update 1.8.2018 Cockpit
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2018, 06:18:50 AM »
Beautiful start Frank, another classic in the making. I'll be following your progress with pleasure, so much inspiration from a true master! I really am amazed by the detail and neatness you consistently achieve in 1:48 Scale. :o
Cheers,
Lance

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2018, 01:04:59 AM »
Outstanding interior work as always! Looking forward to the rest of the build.
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline GazzaS

« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2018, 07:37:05 PM »
Those interior parts look awesome!

Gaz
There are only two states to be in:  Queensland and blotto.

Online Bughunter

« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2018, 03:57:06 AM »
Thank you Lance, Rick and Gaz!

I'll be following your progress with pleasure, so much inspiration from a true master!
Lance, and I read such nice answers with pleasure (and try to learn the english language better from such nicely worded answers). But true master?  I'm reddening :-[
Found some time to work on engine mount, will prepare pictures.

Cheers,
Frank

Online Bughunter

Siemens-Schuckert D.III, Eduard 1/48 Update 3.8.2018 Engine mount
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2018, 05:35:22 AM »
Engine mount

The next step was to try to mount the engine rotatable. For that I drilled holes in the front and back resin parts and put in brass pipes of multiple diameter. On the back frame I added also brass and a nickel silver axle.
After glueing the engine together I added the PE for spark plugs.

I don't like the flat PE as push rods, so I take the resin ones from Small Stuff. I used remaining rods from my other engines. Since the rods are not long I could make two from one part.

That is the result. Oh stop, that is the original rotary!

Source: wikimedia.org

THAT is my result. To mount 22 rods was a extensive task, after the first half I started to hate those little buggers! The mount method on the real Small Stuff engines is much easier.
On the front you can see the brass pipe, because I don't trust the thin resin axle.

One additional word regarding the rotation on this specific engine: the cylinders, housing (and the mounted propeller!) rotate with 900rpm in one direction, the crankshaft with 900 in the opposite direction, so the engine "runs" with 1800rpm. Between them is a planet gear with connection to fuselage.
Here are nice animated gifs, but I don't want to include them here because a file is 9MB:
http://www.enginehistory.org/Piston/Before1925/SiemensHalskeSh3/SiemensHalskeSh3.shtml

I painted the mounting frame black and inside dark alu, so the engine is glued in place.

It is able to rotate.

The air screw was a bit more sanded, primed and painted with wood varnish. Since the pictures of Dave shows a very reddish Wotan I added finally a layer of MRP-269, a "clear Red-Brown". In real it is not _so_ red as on pictures here.
The back side:

And the front:

It fits on the engine axle:

I really like the view!

The fuselage was black primed. The engine mount is plugged in and it fits. I like the nice contrast between the red-brown air screw and the black frame.

Cheers,
Frank

Offline Borsos

Re: Siemens-Schuckert D.III, Eduard 1/48 Update 3.8.2018 Engine mount
« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2018, 07:48:17 AM »
That looks very nice Frank. Another little gem in the making!
Andreas
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Online Bughunter

Siemens-Schuckert D.III, Eduard 1/48 Update 14.9.2018 Lozenge decals
« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2018, 07:13:55 AM »
Lozenge

The last update was done long time ago, but I was on holiday and other things. From time to time I was able to continue a little bit.

Since my kit was of the first edition, the lozenge color was very special (the weekend and the later re-edition has different decals). So I ordered a replacement from Aviattic. The one-page sheet is usable for two D.III, due to the price I have due use both. So I decided to use here the decal with the linen rib tapes for good contrast to the dark fuselage. The other one reserved for the red/blue one.

On white primer I shaded with Alclad "hot metal sepia", because it is dry immediately and is a "clear" color.

This was the first time for me to use Aviattic decals. Result on upper side ...

... and from below. Very time consuming task.

Again as macro:

Yes, I heard that one should not paint a model with real black. So I brushed the fuselage after Alclad black primer with MRP-255 "Black, Night camouflage WWI". But I don't liked the contrast to the golden decal, so I added a layer MRP-5 "Black".

Parts plugged together - I like it colorful!

So also shaded the lower wing.

Started with lower surface.

Then the upper side.

A lot of decals means a lot of work.

The decals are not bad in 1/48 (I think in 1/32 it's looking even better), but need some special care during handling.
The next step will be weaponry.

Cheers,
Frank

Online lcarroll

• Global Moderator
Re: Siemens-Schuckert D.III, Eduard 1/48 Update 14.9.2018 Lozenge decals
« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2018, 07:45:14 AM »
   Coming along very nicely Frank. The Lozenge has really complimented the black finish, it's a much more colorful scheme then I thought it would be. Very nice! 8) 8) 8)
Cheers,
Lance

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2018, 02:40:21 AM »
This is looking wonderful. The interior details and the lozenge transfers aretaking this to a completely new level. Looking forward to seeing this completed.

Stephen.

Online Juan

• All gave some, some gave all.
« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2018, 11:28:59 PM »
Truly outstanding Frank, she is a work of art and lovely to behold.

Online Bughunter

Siemens-Schuckert D.III, Eduard 1/48 Update 16.9.2018 08/15-Mix
« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2018, 07:16:20 AM »
Thank you for the kind words!

08/15-Mix

As promised during last update now there will be a happy mix of kits for Spandau-MGs.

At first the kit parts.
Option 1: Top right full plastic, have to used on a Weekend-Edition. Not used.
Option 2: Left to casings with barrel, to be used together with the PE of the Profipack. Cooling jackets have to be rolled, further PE included. Not used.

For this kit there is a Brassin accessory with more Options:
Option 3: Right bottom two MGs full resin, which needs more parts. Not used (will be used modified in other project).
Option 4: Upper right there are two resin casings, metal barrel, PE and more resin parts. Further option. Used that partly.

I cannot understand the closed front in this special pack, here the Profipack gives PE with openings!
Anyway, here I will use again the perfect Master set "Spandau 08/15".
2 PE for front and back, the cooling jacket is PE of a pipe! and barrel is turned and milled from brass.
I made multiple sets in chemical black during building my Pfalz, save effort.
One should even build them in a series, so you know a good way how to handle the parts. If I do the next pair after some month that experience is lost.

Since Master provides only jacket and barrel I combine the with the Brassin. The back part of the full "jacket" needs to be removed. The existing hole needs to be drilled deeper.

To select the right optional parts I checked the available sources. The Datafile has some good pictures, here also in net, but with reduced quality:

Quelle: combatace.com

After adding seven PE to two resin parts it still fits into fuselage:

One resin handle still to be added:

Painted with 3 layers of Alclad: Steel, very thin Burnt Iron, to make it darker and very thin Gun metal. Only Gun Metal is to blueish fro my taste.

THe edges are highlighted with drybrushing.

Looks nice! Used the barrels not the first time, but gained a better result this time.
For less work use of Gaspatch is possible  ;)

The casings are mounted, the barrels not yet to prevent a damage during handling. A "leather" part is added too.

The engine is mounted. The cowling should be next step after brushing inside Alclad Dark alu and outside black.

But here we have again this "Happy little accident"!
There was a small gap between cowling and fuselage. In this late state putty wa snot a real option.
Check pictures, yes the cowling was secured with ropes. In Datafile on page 13 and 28 I thinks there are two different sizes of the ropes. Also here (embedding do not work)
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Boz95tACAAAhCQg.jpg

So I used 0.2mm and 0.1mm nickel silver. The 0.2 was secured in the gap, so I put the 0.1 on distance and secured with Future between them.

Tank and oilcap are brass colored. There was a angled pin, according to my drawings this was a fuel gauge. So I added the smallest clock from Eduard set "WWI Instruments" (49194).

The tail skid was painted as wood with acryl ...

... followed by a thin layer "Clear Orange".

And finally two teaser, how the model could look like.

Some parts are only plugged .

I like this cuddly biplane!

Cheers,
Frank

Online lcarroll

• Global Moderator
Re: Siemens-Schuckert D.III, Eduard 1/48 Update 16.9.2018 08/15-Mix
« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2018, 08:47:24 AM »
Very impressive Frank, that's some very nice work! The guns are beautifully detailed and finished and the aircraft is finished perfectly, a real winner!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Manni

• Der Militärmodellbauer
Re: Siemens-Schuckert D.III, Eduard 1/48 Update 16.9.2018 08/15-Mix
« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2018, 04:11:40 PM »
Spectacular, Frank! Allways fun to read your build reports. Thank you for showing.
Bye,
Manni
"Ich hab' da mal was vorbereitet.": Jean Pütz
"Warum noch mehr Bausätze?!?": meine Frau