Author Topic: WNW AEG G.IV (Late) 574/18 Canadian Aviation and Space Museum (L. Carroll)  (Read 7103 times)

Online lcarroll

• Administrator
    AEG G.IV 574/18 is the only surviving example of a multi engine German Bomber of WW.I. It is fully restored and on display at the Canadian Aviation and Space Museum in Ottawa Ontario. The aircraft was surrendered to Allied Forces post Armistice 1918 and was awarded to Canada as a "War Trophy".
    This model proved a long and challenging project, taking 5 months from start to completion; there were, however, several breaks taken during that time for a change of pace on a Camel Kit. The highlights of the construction were mainly in after Market additions. I also used both Ray Rimell's "How to Build" book and KLP Publishing's E version Build Guide extensively, both highly recommended. The major after market item used was Aviattic's Night Lozenge. Per the original procedure I added an over sprayed "Black-Green" filter to darken the overall appearance and slightly mute the pattern. I found, at least to my eyes, the Aviattic Decals a far better match to the restored aircraft's finish. The Kit itself is of the typical Wingnut Wings standard; exceptional engineering, fit, and quality, a true pleasure on the bench!
   A full Build Log may be found at the following Link:

https://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?topic=9144.0

This is no model for a beginner, the engine support assemblies and struts are a challenge to say the least and I failed to keep the slots for the nacelles to fuselage struts clean of paint and excess glue. In the spirit of "true confessions" this failure on my part resulted in small errors transferring to the rest of the assembly as larger ones! Ultimately the price was a pair of bent cabane struts (the dreaded "Banana" effect! :-[ :'() which I decided to live with rather then damage the model by cutting struts!
   The model was completed last Thursday night and transported to the Canadian Western Regional Model Contest the following day. It was awarded the Gold Medal in it's Class and also a Special Award for Best WW.I Aircraft in Show. I'm proud of the recognition but acknowledge that there wasn't a great deal of competition entered this year.
    Here follow the "completed" photos:

It's a big Beast! (MIKR Mir 1:32 E.V / D.VIII for comparison)

I elected to build the port engine un-cowled as they were often flown:

........ and here's the "wart", the bent cabanes!

I enjoyed the Build, it's a magnificent Kit however I'll hold off on a Gotha or Felixstowe for a bit to rest up!!

Cheers,
Lance

Offline RAGIII

Lance,
Your build was a real learning experience for new techniques. The added details, painting, weathering, and rigging are all TOP NOTCH! Simply put, Brilliant!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Juan

• All gave some, some gave all.
Lance, words fail me, but know that she turned out beautifully.  Really enjoyed your build log which has many techniques I will try when I get the nerve to build one of these.  Congratulations on this giant beauty.

Online lcarroll

• Administrator
   Thank you both, I really appreciate you checking her out and your very kind comments! :)
Cheers,
Lance

Offline NinetythirdLiberator

Lance,

I do believe this one is one of the greatest models I've ever seen completed.  Certainly in the top 5.  Just simply amazing and a wonderful build thread full of insight and helpful hints. 

Truly something to be proud of and for the rest of us to shoot for.

Just amazing...it should win that WWI award at the NATS!

Dan

Offline lone modeller

That is a masterpiece - warts and all. The weathered look that you have achieved is just right - worn but not such that the aircraft looks as though it is about to fall out of the sky! The lozenge effect is very good too - especially given that this was a night bomber. The build log was a joy to follow (though I admit I did not follow as closely as I perhaps should have done), with some very helpful tips and techniques to learn from. To cap it all you won well deserved awards - I hope that you are truly proud - you deserve to be.

Stephen.

Online lcarroll

• Administrator
Dan,
   I am flattered by your comments on the AEG and your assessment of it. Like all of us here I tend to be very critical of my own work; I think it almost an essential quality to us who dabble in recreating in miniature. I don't see this one as quite up to the standard that achieves the Michael Fitz Honor but I truly appreciate the comment from such a fine Builder as yourself! I've only seen the work of one such winner in person, Dr. Tom Morgan and our own Ed Boll are in a class of their own and I only wish to come even close to that level............  Thank you for all of that though, very nice and supportive of you!

Stephen,
    Thanks to you as well, such great support from member model builders like you is truly appreciated. I'm glad you enjoyed the Build Log, I try hard to provide detail and inject a little fun poking at my antics as well, to keep it both entertaining and informative.
    Thank you Guys, I'm touched.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline gbrivio

I agree with the above comments, beautiful model and great build log. Congratulations also for the really deserved award.
Ciao
Giuseppe

Online lcarroll

• Administrator
Thank you Giuseppe, I very much appreciate your comments.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
Spectacular, Lance. And very well deserved Gold - nevermind the small competition, they simply knew you were showing this one and just paused for one year :-)
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Online lcarroll

• Administrator
Spectacular, Lance. And very well deserved Gold - nevermind the small competition, they simply knew you were showing this one and just paused for one year :-)

Thank you Prze, very kind of you to say so! :) :) :)
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Dave W

• Administrator
Lance

Absolutely outstanding work there. I echo the view that it is a masterpiece. Your attention to detail is inspirational to me and I totally believe this model would deserve a gold medal at any world wide model show.

Thank you so much for sharing this with us.

cheers

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia
Owner and Administrator of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Online lcarroll

• Administrator
     ......... and Thank You Dave for your very kind and supportive comments!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Borsos

I can only echoe all the positive comments from above. It is a real masterpiece, Lance, and I can't stop looking at it and finding more and more details. Congratulations!
Andreas
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline Manni

• Der Militärmodellbauer
Beautiful, indeed.
Congratulations! The prizes are well deserved. I think you would have won the contest if there were much more other planes in the contest, too.
Bye, Manni
"Ich hab' da mal was vorbereitet.": Jean Pütz
"Warum noch mehr Bausätze?!?": meine Frau