Author Topic: WNW AEG G.IV (Late) 574/18 Canadian Aviation and Space Museum  (Read 50807 times)

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
WNW AEG G.IV (Late) 574/18 Canadian Aviation and Space Museum
« on: December 27, 2017, 07:37:35 AM »
     I've finally decided that AEG G.IV 574/18 will be the subject of my next Build. I've seen and carefully studied this aircraft in it's Museum setting many times over the past years and yes, leaned well over the cordon to place a hand on her, what a great bit of history! The aircraft was from an unknown unit but could have been from the same one as 567/18, Boghol 8b, Bosta 27, another of the options in the Kit choices. I'll be finishing it as it would have appeared in service, as it resides in the Museum, with a few minor exceptions such as the correct Diamler-Mercedes D.IVa Engines as included in the Kit.
    Here's the scheme as illustrated in the Plans Booklet.......

...... and the standard Box Cover. I got the model recently from the Wingnut Wings Warehouse Damage sale. Other then a damaged box the model is in great shape although there is a bit of very minor breakage to a couple of the more delicate parts, not of any serious consequence.

My first impression is there's a lot of model in that big box!!

I've got three great references for this Build: the Windsock Data File #51 and Ray Rimell's Modelling Special #4 on the AEG. Additionally I purchased Kevin Futter's KLP Publishing E Book, Building the Wingnut Wings AEG G.IV (Late) by Karim Bibi. I haven't done more then a quick glance through Ray's book yet having just grabbed it from under the Christmas Tree yesterday! I have read the KLP book end to end several times now and it is an excellent source!

I'll be using Aviattic's 5 Color Night Lozenge in place of the Kit Decals which I find too diffuse and dark.

I've already started the task of cutting the Kit decals into templates with the result of placing a second order with the correct amounts required!

I'll be using several After Market additions on the Build with Gas Patch Parabellum Guns, Taurus Engine Upgrades, and HGW Fabric Belts on order. It will be a slow Build as the model is bigger then I can fit into my display cases so I'm going to have to locate something deeper. I am tentatively planning to start another Camel somewhere in this Build's schedule to provide a change of pace as well.
Cheers,
Lance

« Last Edit: December 27, 2017, 07:58:37 AM by lcarroll »

Offline Juan

• All gave some, some gave all.
Re: WNW AEG G.IV (Late) 574/18 Canadian Aviation and Space Museum
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2017, 09:48:52 AM »
Great subject matter Lance.  Aviattic's decals look much nicer and with the addition of other items this one will be a real looker.  Looking forward to your magic on this one. 

Offline davec

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2017, 10:34:07 AM »
I got one of the distressed box kits as well.  Looking forward to seeing your build.

Dave

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2017, 11:05:11 AM »
Juan,
    I certainly agree concerning the decals. I will be attempting to diffuse them a little with a wash of the "black green" or dark blue often referred to but it will be very light.
Dave,
   Thanks, and wow, wasn't that sale a heck of a deal!?
Cheers,
Lance

Offline rayb24

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2017, 01:19:43 PM »
Thats one large model, this will be a great build to follow.
Ray

Offline mgunns

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2017, 03:12:54 PM »
Holy Shneikee Lance!  You've dropped a real bombshell here.   So you've decided to take that leap and tackle this beast?  I might have to break ot the Felixstowe.  It will be fun to follow your progress through this beast. 
Mark

We few, we happy few.....

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2017, 05:40:59 PM »
This will be one to watch.
Karim & Kev's digi Doc is a 1st class reference tool and will help you no end.

Good luck, Lance  ;)

Cheers,
Bob

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline Trackpad

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2017, 11:44:03 PM »
Hey, Lance!

And he's off and running! Best of good luck with this latest gem!

BTW, my main computer is down. I'm monitoring Cdn Mafia traffic but apparently can't transmit from my ancient laptop. Should be good in a few days. Pls advise other mbrs. TIA!  8)
Cheers!
Gary

"It was an adventure, a great adventure. And, like all great adventures, we never knew where it would lead or how it would end."

Offline Chris Johnson

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2017, 11:53:14 PM »
And so it begins! I've bookmarked this Lance so I can follow along with your progress. I figure you should have this finished within a month, right?  :o

If you're reading this MGunns, I think this means that you're obligated to drop everything and trundle out that Felixstowe, that is, if memory serves me correctly.  ;)

Cheers,

Chris
You can have it good; You can have it fast; you can have it cheap. Pick any two, but all three are impossible.

Offline mgunns

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2017, 01:08:36 AM »
And so it begins! I've bookmarked this Lance so I can follow along with your progress. I figure you should have this finished within a month, right?  :o

If you're reading this MGunns, I think this means that you're obligated to drop everything and trundle out that Felixstowe, that is, if memory serves me correctly.  ;)

Cheers,

Chris
Yes, memory (still) serves me correct.  I will have to pull the fork lift out of the garage and "trundle" it off it's perch.  What a way to start the new year!  :o
Mark

We few, we happy few.....

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2017, 01:12:39 AM »
Nothing like starting the New Year Big! I will of course follow every update as your builds never disappoint!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2017, 01:36:24 AM »
    Thank you all for the votes of confidence, and for all the encouragement from my Canadian Mafia brothers in plastic!
MGunns, Mark, don't feel you have to commit to the Felixstowe early just because I've made a start on this one. That "big boat" is a much larger and more challenging project for sure!
   I've actually got a little progress made here, will post a couple of photos later today.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2017, 02:33:24 AM »
This one is different Lance! Looking forward to you building a "big one" and it reads as though you intend to really make it inot something extra special. I have got my seat in the front row in anticipation and I know that I am not going to be disappointed.

Stephen.

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2017, 03:55:02 AM »
   Thanks for your comments Stephen. It is really big compared to the models I've done in this scale to date, even the "Fee" appears small by comparison. I do plan to take my time and try to produce a decent model, it's been a source of great interest to me on my visits to our National Museum and the place is also a source of great national pride to me. It, along with the Canadian War Museum, is truly "world class" and I highly recommend a visit to anyone who is in Ottawa.
   As an aside 3 of the four modern fighters on display there have my DNA in their cockpits so to speak, now that puts my age into perspective!  :-\
Cheers,
Lance

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2017, 06:27:25 AM »
      Here we go! I've started by removing most of the cockpit interior components from their sprues and after cleaning them up getting a coat of the standard grey green (Tamiya XF-76) sprayed on.

I included the main fuselage halves in this exercise. I'll be returning to them and getting a good coat of gloss white on the rear portions in preparation for the interior lozenge decals.

Once fully dried the various parts received a series of pin washes and highliting, just enough to provide some contrast and break up the monotone. I'll be adding a few scuff and wear marks to the sidewalls later.

Next the floors received a coat of Model Master enamel wood base mix and, using the RB Productions PE "Wood Pattern Airbrush Stencil", a grain effect spray of slightly darkened Raw Sienna. I've had these stencils for years and this is the first time I've tried them, I really liked the results.

Now I'll go back to the Instrument Panel and do the individual Instruments , pick out some detail, and complete it for later installation. At this early point I have the impression that this will be a long haul!
Cheers,
Lance