Author Topic: WNW AEG G.IV (Late) 574/18 Canadian Aviation and Space Museum  (Read 50678 times)

Offline aliluke

Re: WNW AEG G.IV (Late) 574/18 Canadian Aviation and Space Museum
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2017, 12:01:18 PM »
Hi Lance
I've been tempted by this kit for a while. Your early results confirm why - the detail is superb. But too many kits in waiting for me so I'll be a willing observer only as this build unfolds. Looking forward to more.

Cheers,
Alistair
It ain't a hobby if you have to hurry.

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2017, 01:56:50 PM »
Alistair,
    The detail in this Kit is hard to beat, and so much of it will be hidden!
Cheers,
Lance

Bughunter

« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2018, 08:11:51 AM »
Lance, of course I will follow your new project!
What a great start, showing so much nice details.

Have fun,
Frank

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2018, 08:31:59 AM »
Thanks for looking in Frank, and I welcome your inputs. I'm still working on the cockpit details, hope to have an update very soon.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline gbrivio

« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2018, 07:57:56 PM »
This promises to be a big one, and a finr one indeed. A must followbuild.
Ciao
Giuseppe

Offline Borsos

« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2018, 08:06:37 PM »
No doubt: This will be another jewel, I will follow your build closely, Lance, and I am very curious to see its progress. There's the early version of this kit dusting in my stash next to the Gotha waiting to be build --- someday, when I now how to display these beasts...
Andreas
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2018, 01:52:02 AM »
Giuseppe and Andreas,
    Thanks for your comments and yes, the biggest challenge appears to be how to display these "beasts"!! :-\  :o
Cheers,
Lance

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2018, 01:00:11 AM »
    I've been plodding along on the cockpit interior details and have made some progress. To this point the Build has been very enjoyable and has progressed smoothly.
    The wood grained floor portions were given a spray of Tamiya Clear orange and, following Karim's lead in the E-Book Build, this was followed by a coat of AK Interactive Heavy Chipping Acrylic Fluid.

Once dry a coat of Tamiya Nato Black was sprayed and again, after drying, the chipped and worn finish was done with water and a stiff brush. I wanted to try the AK product and quite like the effect that it provided.

I then applied a very light wash and pin wash to various features on the cockpit side walls and panels, this ended up being a two application process later in the sequence.

The next component tackled was the seat assembly. Both "How to Build" Books pointed out the lightening Holes in the pilot's seat which were not represented in the kit and which I decided to add. I used the Albatros Publications  method utilising Evergreen Sheet to produce a back cover for the seat made with the help of a Waldron Punch and Die Set. Having just again viewed the actual subject on another visit to the Canadian Aviation and Space Museum just three months ago I elected to go with black vs brown for the leather as applied to the Musem's Re-Build.

The assembled seat still requires some wear and tone adjustment before it's complete.

Next I added the interior lozenge to the inner fuselage halves. Since it will be almost completely invisible on the completed model I used the pre shaped and fitted Kit decals vs. the Aviattic Night Lozenge destined for the model.

And that covers approximately half of my recent progress, I'll get a few more photos uploaded and catch up to the present status later today or early tomorrow.
       So far a smooth ride!
Cheers,
Lance

Online RAGIII

« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2018, 01:08:30 AM »
The interior is really looking terrific Lance. I Love the chipping effect! But WOW, that Leather seat is spectacular!!!!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Juan

• All gave some, some gave all.
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2018, 01:22:33 AM »
Go Lance, go.  Outstanding looking build thus far, looking forward to how you treat this HUGE beauty.

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2018, 01:55:59 AM »
Rick, Juan,
   Thank you both for checking in and commenting. I should have mentioned that the seat cushion and inside back padding shows much more brown in the photos then to the naked eye but I like the effect; the natural brown of the leather showing where the black dye would be worn off a bit. I also am "sold" on the AK Worn Effects fluids, the results seem more realistic then my previous hairspray technique. A word of caution though, it can get away on you very easily!
Cheers,
Lance

Online PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2018, 03:28:22 AM »
Fantastic effects, Lance. I like your work very much.
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2018, 09:12:21 AM »
Thank you Prze, It's a great encouragement to have my efforts complimented by you! :)
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2018, 09:39:32 AM »
The interior is really looking terrific Lance. I Love the chipping effect! But WOW, that Leather seat is spectacular!!!!
RAGIII

I agree totally, what a brilliant looking seat.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2018, 09:44:16 AM »
   Here's the second half of today's updates bringing me to where I'd progressed to by this morning.
   While picking out some of the details on the cockpit side and transverse panels I also applied a second slightly darker application of the wash using Winsor Newton  Burnt Umber oil paint thinned considerably. I like the results much better now.

The throttle quadrant was also installed on the port sidewall and the push rods were replaced with stainless steel music wire as I thought the Kit versions a little over scale.

I also added the bomb Toggle Releases to the starboard wall of the Commander's "Kanzel" using steel wire and styrene dowel stock. Next I'll be adding the cables from the bomb release handle and toggles as well.

Next the two internal bomb racks for the gunner's cockpit were assembled followed by the third rack fitted beside the fuel tank. The 12.5 Kg. PuW Bombs were painted Alclad II Steel, given a coat of the AK Chipping medium, oversprayed with a light grey blue and then "chipped" with a stiff brush and water.

The instrument panel is almost complete requiring only the radiator shutter levers to be added to the opening on it's far left. The decals for the switch covers were applied individually to ease the task!

Last the floor was re-masked and the fuel tank sprayed with the grey green and then highlighted again with the burnt umber oils.

And that's it until now. Progress is slow but there's a lot of "stuff" in that cockpit and there's still a considerable amount to do!
Cheers,
Lance