Author Topic: WNW AEG G.IV (Late) 574/18 Canadian Aviation and Space Museum  (Read 50989 times)

Bughunter

Re: WNW AEG G.IV (Late) 574/18 Canadian Aviation and Space Museum
« Reply #45 on: January 12, 2018, 07:51:03 AM »
Lance, you made a great progress on this one, fantastic results!

I also added the top fabric strip to the spare Parabellum Magazines in the Gunner's compartment using paper thin Evergreen Sheet Styrene.
If you want to improve this further I would use some HGW seatbelts (may be 1/48), or a remaining piece of the framing of such seat belts (I always keep such things for later scratch work). I have used here WWII 1/32 seat belts for securing the 1/48 missile: 
https://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?topic=8918.msg163257#msg163257
Only a idea, and only worth the effort, if the parts are visible on the finished model.

And this cockpit seems to be very modern: the blue/red instrument on the left corner looks like an artificial horizon! :o

Cheers,
Frank

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #46 on: January 12, 2018, 08:17:49 AM »
The interior is looking superb Lance and the instrument panel is a work of art, brilliant.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Online Juan

• All gave some, some gave all.
« Reply #47 on: January 12, 2018, 08:23:07 AM »
Wow Lance, she is turning out quite nicely, up to your fantastic standards.  Looking forward to your progress.

Online lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #48 on: January 12, 2018, 09:36:35 AM »
   Thanks All for your kind comments!
   Frank,  I too wondered about that particular instrument for the very same reason, it looks more like what I'd expect in a modern airliner! I find myself wondering if a modern instrument found it's way into the rebuilt aircraft's cockpit and was assumed to be original when the aircraft was "copied" by Wingnut Wings? I have several really good photos of the panel in my references and it's not there so I'm considering changing it, at minimum, to a less "space age" instrument face!
   As for the belts, the HGW Set I ordered from Hannants finally arrived in this morning's mail so they will be installed very soon.
Cheers,
Lance

Online RAGIII

« Reply #49 on: January 13, 2018, 02:10:50 AM »
Outstanding interior work Lance!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Online lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #50 on: January 13, 2018, 02:37:18 AM »
   Thanks for looking and for your comment Rick.
   Further to the small exchange on the red and blue faced mystery instrument on the upper left of the panel..............  the following:
   Last night after some thought on the matter I located a fairly plain instrument decal in my spare decal trove and installed it. I figured that completely removing the thing to match the (Noted as "heavily retouched") photos in the references would get messy so opted for a less invasive solution. This morning I received some info from another Forum Member who had looked into the puzzle and the following summary provides a logical explanation for the apparent mystery.
   The instrument was an "Inclinometer" which displayed the angle of bank of the aircraft. Koloman Mayrhoffer of replica building fame, has two originals, one red and blue faced like the Wingnut Wings version and another brown and white faced. The instrument was mounted as Wingnut Wings has represented it. I will leave my modified instrument as is as a facsimile of the less colorful brown and white faced version and again learn to trust the Wingnut Wings Team on matters of accuracy! If I were to build a second AEG I'd install the blue and red one with no reservations.
   I love these little information "Bunny Trails" we go wandering down, however I keep likening them to the puzzle of PC.10; we'll never know for sure! Now it's on with the remaining work on the cockpit.
Cheers,
Lance

Online lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #51 on: January 16, 2018, 04:53:10 AM »
    Another small update.
    I've installed a few extra lines on the fuel tanks behind the Pilot's seat, the three smaller lines on the large fuel transfer lines and the vertical ones from the caps which are described as fuel quantity gauge related in the references. That great little camera indicates a little scraping to remove the mold line and touch up the large transfer line is required.

I also added the lightening holes on the seat supports, a feature I had forgotten to complete earlier.

At this point I took a bit of time to chop up the Commander's temporary cockpit seat (He moved about between his forward "Kanzel" and the right hand seat position depending on the activity taking place) and rebuild it in it's stowage configuration. It will be installed on the framework behind the seat positions when the cockpit is completed.

Here's the instrument panel with the new instrument face for the inclinometer. I'll be adding some transparent red to the face to match the photo I now have of the original instrument.

The order from Hannants with the HGW Belts arrived with perfect timing and I'm now working on the four sets of belts for the cockpit, a very fiddly but worthwhile part of any Build. I love this product!

It's still progressing smoothly however there's certainly a lot of plastic still in the box........ ???
Cheers,
Lance

Offline jeroen_R90S

« Reply #52 on: January 16, 2018, 06:59:36 AM »
Nice work, both on the (small and fiddly belts and the scratched parts. It's one of the things I like about those WNW kits, you can build them out of the box, but also add details here and there to make it a bit different. Looks good! :)

Online lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #53 on: January 16, 2018, 07:27:58 AM »
Thanks Jeroen. I agree, these Kits stand very well by themselves OOB however the fun's increased when little details can be added to take them just that little bit further.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Gisbod

« Reply #54 on: January 16, 2018, 07:43:38 AM »
Super Lance!

Guy
“Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth -
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.”

P.O. John Gillespie Magee 1941

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #55 on: January 16, 2018, 07:52:03 AM »
You never cease to amaze me with the quality of your work, and your attention to detail is excellent, I am following along intently.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #56 on: January 16, 2018, 08:06:44 AM »
Powering along nicely  ;)
Well done thus far.

vB  :)

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline UFAG

« Reply #57 on: January 16, 2018, 08:49:19 AM »
my god, your vision must be still 20 by 20....immaculate on the tiny details..

Online RAGIII

« Reply #58 on: January 16, 2018, 08:53:53 AM »
Not much to add to what has been said except another "Amazing" attention to details! Beautiful work Lance!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Online lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #59 on: January 16, 2018, 12:25:59 PM »
   Thank you all for your most encouraging comments! Martin, my distance vision is still slightly better then 20/20 however my eye Doctor informs me that without my "close up" glasses I'm more or less legally blind inside 10 feet! I find that without the Optivisor these days any work is embarrassingly poor!
   I am very much looking forward to completing the cockpit module and taking a break by starting another project, this one is getting larger as time goes on!
Cheers,
Lance