Author Topic: My First WNW! Albatros D.V complete!  (Read 23716 times)

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
Re: My First WNW! Albatros D.V 28/04/18
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2018, 01:19:30 AM »
Excellent work, Gaz!

More!!!!!

:) Bob  ;)

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline GazzaS

« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2018, 07:41:20 AM »
Guys, thank you!

Excellent work, Gaz!

More!!!!!

:) Bob  ;)

Ooh!  Thanks for dropping buy.  Just realized I forgot to order more buckles.  I really like the way they improved the appearance of my D.III.  I tarnished the tubing with some thin washes of zinc yellow and burnt sienna once they were in place.

Gaz
There are only two states to be in:  Queensland and blotto.

Offline GazzaS

« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2018, 07:02:35 PM »
Hi everyone,
   Just want to thank you all for your positive comments and helpful tips.  There as been a bit of cursing and swearing involved, but I have made some progress.
   I've spent the last three days either painting the 'metal' parts in that lovely shade of grey-pea green or working on the same 3 cubic inches of Albatros, the cockpit.
   I couldn't get the look of leather I wanted for the seat, and finally abdicated so that I could move ahead.

My next efforts went on those blasted PE seat belts.  I don't know how anyone could get them to fit properly with that joining strap where it was placed.  On the second annealing, some brass melted away from the 'D' loop causing me to curse my choice of a propane torch.  In desperation I cut away the joining strap.  Honestly, I think it was positioned horribly.  I should have replaced it, but just getting them into a close-to-believable shape took more patience than I was granted.  In the end, I decided that I had reached the 'good-enough' point.

Inspired by the interior control rigging you guys are doing, I decided that I was going to try it for the first time.  After getting a reply in the tips post, I decided to use the Stren 2lb. test that arrived after finishing my last Alby.  After I got it into place and heat shrunk enough, I painted it silver.  Despite the paint, it doesn't show well in the photos.

The bird I'm building is a D.V, so the control cables for the ailerons pass before the pilots eyes into the upper wing.  This means a few less  buckles, but it also means trying to cut four pieces to fit into a very short space once the upper wing is in place.  I'm not one to enjoy precision work in confined spaces.  I suppose I could drill all the way through the upper wing...  but I really don't want to as this machine will have painted wings.

So...another step ahead, even if some fumbling was involved.

Thanks for looking!

Gaz

Offline Dave W

• Administrator
Re: My First WNW! Albatros D.V 04/05/18
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2018, 07:35:28 PM »
Great work there Gaz! Queenslanders are excellent modellers :)

Your seatbelts look fine to me. I'm no fan of those PE belts either, trying to make Sopwith Camel seatbelts behave right now.

cheers

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia
« Last Edit: May 04, 2018, 08:19:32 PM by Dave W »
Owner and Administrator of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline NigelR

« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2018, 07:58:50 PM »
Very nice work so far. Like you, I've made the move to 1/32 (from 1/72, quite a jump) but I haven't actually completed anything yet. I have four 1/32 kits at the interior done/fuselage closed stage but I have to learn some new techniques (like airbrushing!) before I can finish them. I've been putting that off but now I am retired I have no excuses....

Those PE seatbelts are a pain, I think yours look pretty good. I have several of the HGW fabric ones for future use.

Online RAGIII

« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2018, 08:59:28 PM »
Very nice work on the interior! Your seatbelts turned out fine and I like the fabric color and look they have. As for the control lines I drilled 4 holes in the round part attached to the column than glued fishing line in the holes. The plan is to run them all the way through the wing. I will add that this will also involve attaching the pe part to the bottom of the wing first then waiting to wrap it around the top. After cutting the lines the PE should cover the mess. Plan B is cutting away any sign of my fishing lune and running stretched sprue through the holes. That is what happened on my first Albatros DV build  :-[
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Borsos

« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2018, 09:49:42 PM »
I can only join in: very nice interior and a nice engine as well. I especially like the exhaust. The rusty colors look really great.
Borsos
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline GazzaS

« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2018, 05:51:35 AM »
Thank you all for your positive replies!  Cockpits are one of my more difficult areas as so much is new to me.  Especially the cables. 

Last night I ordered some HGW seatbelts for my other Alby's.  Though they appear fiddly, they seem to be well-liked by those who have written about them. 

Gaz

Offline wmoran

« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2018, 07:43:04 AM »
I think the seat harnesses included with the Albatros Jasta 5 boxing are not sized right.  The shoulder straps seem too short to make it from the bulkhead to the seat with that cross-strap on them.  I have given up on them and ordered the HGW fabric seatbelts, some releases of which come with either a resin seat cushion (not included in the WNW kit) or two complete resin seats.

Good work so far with your Albatros.

Bill

Offline GazzaS

« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2018, 09:22:08 AM »
I think the seat harnesses included with the Albatros Jasta 5 boxing are not sized right.  The shoulder straps seem too short to make it from the bulkhead to the seat with that cross-strap on them.  I have given up on them and ordered the HGW fabric seatbelts, some releases of which come with either a resin seat cushion (not included in the WNW kit) or two complete resin seats.

Good work so far with your Albatros.

Bill

Bill,
    I thought this, exactly!   I wrestled and wrestled with them, finally opting to break out the scissors.  Now, a day later, it does appear they are a little short to keep a man in there comfortably.

I hafta admit that I thought Roden did a better job on the Albatros seat cushion.  I didn't think there wasn't one at all, but a very thin one molded to the seat.  And I hafta admit that I only considered scratching a cushion for a few seconds before getting involved in other areas of the cockpit.

Thank you!

Gaz

Offline dr 1 ace

« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2018, 03:11:56 AM »
Gaz,

You are much too critical of your work, the results are wonderful as evidenced by all of our comments .

Ed
Life is short, enjoy it, nobody gets out alive.

Offline GazzaS

« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2018, 11:50:13 AM »
Thank you, Ed.

Gaz

Offline GazzaS

« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2018, 02:30:21 PM »
Hi everyone!
   Despite dropping the fuselage while I was waiting for a bit of CA to dry after adding the engine, we're about ready to close up.

I decided to dry to make the engine deck and tank look as if they'd been subjected to many hours of castor oil with a few dark, dirty washes.

Every time I added parts to the fuselage, I'd close the entire thing up so the cement could set in it's proper location.  I'm hoping that when the upper panels go on, that everything matches up correctly.

Thanks for looking!

Gaz

Offline krow113

« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2018, 12:45:52 AM »
Going well Gaz!

Online RAGIII

« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2018, 06:40:49 AM »
Looking terrific. Should go much more quickly now that the interior is completed!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler