Author Topic: Wagner Models 1/33rd Pfalz Dr-1 Triplane  (Read 10552 times)

Offline NinetythirdLiberator

Re: Wagner Models 1/33rd Pfalz Dr-1 Triplane
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2018, 04:16:05 PM »
Thanks again, Rick...here is a bit more.

I got the cabanes in easily and then built the machine guns/installed them.  They look surprisingly cool considering they are just paper...even the cooling jackets look pretty neat!

The cowling and prop are just tacked on to see how things look.  More work needs to be done on those...

And...I started the landing gear.  Maybe that will get put on tomorrow.

Cheers and thanks for looking!
Dan  ;)

Online hiddeous1973

• Don't worry, Baldrick has a cunning plan !!
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2018, 05:27:49 PM »
The shading on those wings is better then what I do with an airbrush...
Coming along very nice indeed. Hard to believe it is just paper. Very well done so far!

Hidde

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2018, 10:00:07 PM »
This is continuing to be an awesome build. Looks great and I agree the MGs look pretty nice for paper!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2018, 04:28:13 PM »
Thanks you guys...

I added the landing gear and it's nice to see it standing on it's own legs!  I need to do some puttying here and there and touch up with paint, but when the wheels get put on, it will look pretty dang nice!  ;D

More tomorrow...I hope!

Dan

Offline markleecarter

« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2018, 06:14:04 PM »
Amazing! Very interesting build, well done.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2018, 05:07:17 AM »
Looks great sitting on the gear legs. I continue to be in Awe of the results you get with paper!
RAGIII

« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2018, 07:12:31 AM »
Thanks, you guys...I got the tires done this morning....Here are the steps!

I may do some more detailing tonight and start a bit o' rigging. 
And then it's on to the engine!  :o ;D

Cheers,
Dan

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2018, 08:22:47 AM »
Wow, Dan!  She's really shaping up beautifully!  Makes me want to give one of these card models a go.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2018, 01:50:03 AM »
Wow, Dan!  She's really shaping up beautifully!  Makes me want to give one of these card models a go.
Cheers,
Bud

I agree "Mostly" with my Amigo  ;D I would be scared to death to try paper  ::)
RAGIII

« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2018, 03:16:39 PM »
Guys, guys, guys!  These aren't too bad once you try a few!  Not to mention that you guys are SUPER talented...Maybe go here http://www.wak.pl/download/ and get a free download of a Morane Saulnier.  It's big, it's a monoplane, it's from a good manufacturer and...it's free!

Got her rigged!  Starting engine next.

Cheers,
Dan

P.S.  I just figured out the very sad news of Des' passing.  I really miss his always upbeat and helpful posts.  I would post a silly paper model out on the fringes of this site, and within an hour, he'd respond in a super positive manner.  He will be an extremely hard act to follow...Thoughts and prayers to Des, his family and friends...RIP.  :-[ :'(

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2018, 01:08:04 AM »
Dan:

Your paper models are inspiring, and look great!  One question: How do you attach the rigging to the model, and what are you using for rigging?  (Actually, that's two questions!)  Very well done, and thanks for showing us how.

Best regards,

Bob

« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2018, 05:56:06 AM »
Hi Bob...

Thanks for looking and commenting. I use an elastic thread called EZ-Line and attach it with thick super glue and accelerator.  I made a simple video of how I do it here:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DHrREcrIFM&t=22s

It's not the greatest production, but you get the idea!  ;D

It's also easy to go crazy and add turnbuckles etc. and that works well too.  The only down side for me is that the rigging is not structural.  I've had some models that actually needed the strength of fishing line etc.  But if that's not an issue, this is quick and relatively painless with a little practice.

Cheers,
Dan

« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2018, 04:46:30 PM »
Hello All,

I sort of painful job with these guys is making all those cylinder and engine parts.  So I tried something a bit different to try and get nice circular cross sections and to make parts a bit quicker...

I cut out the strips that would be part of a cylinder, measured their lengths with calipers since this would be the circumference.  Knowing that Pie x D = Circumference..I just divided the circumference by Pie and got a diameter of the cylinder.  I then took calipers and measured the thickness of my paper and subtracted 2X the thickness from the calculated diameter leaving me with how thick a filler cylinder would need to be for my engine pieces to roll around.  That piece was just rolled with some typing paper into a long tube.

Then I glued each of the cylinder pieces to this interior filler (I pre-formed a little curve into each), let them dry, "painted" the strips (on the inside) with a bit of water to help them curve and glued them around the filler as shown.

After drying, I just sawed them off like sausages.  Pretty slick.

Then the crank case was made and the parts slowly added.

Next are the cylinder tops and push-rods.  Then she'll be done!  Neat engine so far.

Cheers,
Dan

Offline Jeff K

« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2018, 01:31:16 AM »
that thing is really shaping up.

you are forcing me to take paper/card seriously as a building material.

if i find something i like, i might not be a total purist about it, and might use other stuff for engines, guns etc.

i'm also thinking a paper kit might make a good base for a tiny Depron R/C 'park flyer' (or in my case, park crasher).

« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2018, 04:51:10 AM »
Hi Jeff...

Paper works well but it does take some getting used to.  There are incredible paper purists who make EVERYTHING...like wiring and spokes etc....out of paper.  They are wizards and I routinely use whatever is handy it it will make it look better/will be a bit easier. I use WNW and Roden props and machine guns all the time... :-X

Some folks won't even color the edges of the paper once cut and desire the thin, white edging on parts since part of the beauty is that you realize it's out of paper.  I also airbrush mine and use filler when I really mess up a joint too. 

I tend to treat it like a plastic model while trying to stay true to the paper at the same time.  They sure are fun and stretch your tool box a bit.  Plus...you get to make things that are not available elsewhere.  And they would be a great starting point for a depron model.  Go for it (cheap too!)...

Speaking of cool models...this one may be next one (or close to it).  A Balila just like the one shown on this site beautifully done by Prze (I think) but out of paper!

Thanks for looking and commenting.

Dan