Author Topic: Marek/Matt77 Aviatik Berg D.I in 1/33rd Scale  (Read 7030 times)

Offline NinetythirdLiberator

Re: Marek/Matt77 Aviatik Berg D.I in 1/33rd Scale
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2018, 04:20:20 PM »
Thanks, Des! 

I got lots done today...finished the tails, tail struts and control cables to them.

Then I worked on the cowling.  I'm not sure what that extra piece added to the model.  Since I was a bit confused, I just left it off.  The front looks fine...especially with the radiator bits on the top!

Then I played with the landing gear which are just paper covering folded around wire structure.  The wire patterns seemed unnecessarily difficult so I just made simple V's that had extended ends that fit into holes in the lower forward fuselage (along with a spreader bar).  Seems to work for me!  The cabane skeleton looks too busy for me too so I've just left them off as my cabanes will just be double layers of paper.  This will be more than strong enough based on the other paper models I've built.  Plus...the interplane struts are sturdy wire so the cabanes will just be keeping things lined up!

I then made the interplanes and put on the top wing.  No theatrics at all.  The cabanes will go in later.

And here it is as of tonight...

I may be able to finish most of it tomorrow.  We'll see.

Cheers and thanks for looking!
Dan

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2018, 01:42:27 AM »
My Oh my Dan, that is truly impressive! The latter photos make it appear to be a Wingnut Wings version in plastic, paper models are in no way the "poor cousin" of the Modelling genre so many regard them as for sure. Seeing some work by a fellow Model Club Member here and your work have made me a fan, I think I may try one on for size during one of my "something completely different" excursions! 8) 8) 8)
Cheers,
Lance

« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2018, 04:51:28 AM »
Hi Lance...

With your skills, these would be different, but turn out great.  Kind of a mash of balsa flying models (to me) and plastic.  Really the only thing I don't like is also what happens to make this particular model so cool...the renderings.  Meaning that all the models will look the same and I enjoy the painting weathering aspect of modeling a lot.  However, this one sure is neat.  Plus, I guess at a contest the field would be super level as all you'd be looking at is construction since every paint chip, panel line and scuff would be identical between models.  So maybe this is a plus!!

Not to mention, you can sure airbrush these to your heart's content and even get rid of the renderings entirely with a coat of primer and have at it.  I like paper models because they provide models of planes I like but that are not out there or too pricey for me.   I did hear about a lovely resin D-1 to the tune of $220.  Just too much especially when my paper model cost me $7 to download and another $1.50 to print at Office Depot.  ;D  I did just order a couple of neat WWI subjects in paper...a Halberstatd D-II/III and a Friedrichschaffen twin float plane I saw parts of in Denmark.  Can't wait to start those...stay tuned.

I have no affiliation with this site, but here are a bunch of possibilities for downloads:

https://www.ecardmodels.com/index.php/

Be warned!  These are really addictive.  Ask your friend!  ;)

Thanks for the kind words...Dan
« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 06:31:01 AM by NinetythirdLiberator »

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2018, 05:49:16 AM »
Wow, I miss a day and you are almost done! Looks terrific! Lovely work all around!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2018, 06:07:48 AM »
"Be warned!  These are really addictive.  Ask your friend!  ;)"

Dan,
    I see your point, he has a filing cabinet full of them, says he's got several hundred downloaded, half of them printed as he does Armour as well. Now, that's a Stash!! :o
Cheers,
Lance

« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2018, 01:15:20 PM »
Hi Rick and Lance...NEXT time, it will be in the finished area!

Here it is all rigged.  Only needs guns, a prop, wheels and a windshield...

Thanks for the encouragement...Dan

« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2018, 03:44:29 AM »
Lance and anyone else interested!

Here is a paper site that has lots of free downloads of all things WWI.  It has artillery, tanks, armored cars and planes too.  Both in 1/72nd and 48th...though you could make them any scale you wanted within reason.  I've built several of these and they turned out neat.

http://www.landships.info/landships/models.html

Look under "Models" and you'll find these.  All free.  All you need to do is get some slightly thicker paper and print away...it's a nice way to test the waters without spending a ton o' bucks.

Cheers,
Dan

Offline Juan

• All gave some, some gave all.
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2018, 03:54:25 AM »
Looking great Dan, you sure make this look easy with great results.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2018, 06:37:37 AM »
The rigging looks terrific! Well done as always!
RAGIII

« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2018, 03:45:08 PM »
Thanks Juan and Rick...

Before I post this guy over in the completed section, I did need to make the prop.  This turned out to take a bit of doing as I didn't want to cheat as much as I have before and just use a spare WNW prop!  So I used the paper parts on the kit.  Trouble was, it looked a little anemic and, well...like two pieces of paper stuck to a tiny cylinder hub!  So I beefed it up a bit with putty and sanding etc.  It looks better...not perfect...but better. 

And...I was bad and just got a few more paper kits from Poland including these two bad boys:

Watch this space!  :o ;)

Dan

Offline Manni

• Der Militärmodellbauer
« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2018, 07:45:32 PM »
Incredible work.
The prob looks much better now.
By,
Manni
"Ich hab' da mal was vorbereitet.": Jean Pütz
"Warum noch mehr Bausätze?!?": meine Frau

Offline Borsos

« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2018, 12:45:44 AM »
Fantastic! I hope my resin modell once will look half as good as your paper build.
Best regards
Borsos
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline Juan

• All gave some, some gave all.
« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2018, 01:17:21 AM »
She looks great, thanks for showing us the coming attractions.  You surely will have to wait a long time before these are done by WnW or others.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2018, 09:49:17 AM »
Outstanding work on the prop. Looks much improved! I will comment more in the completed section.
RAGIII