Author Topic: 1/32 Fokker v.23 - my first scratchbuild  (Read 19970 times)

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
Re: 1/32 Fokker v.23 - my first scratchbuild
« Reply #75 on: April 29, 2018, 12:28:23 AM »
Thanks again for all the compliments, guys.  I do appreciate them.

Update for April 28

Finishing up some parts now.
I made this prop from layers of colored paper - a manila folder and a brown report cover.  I laminated the paper with thin CA glue and put it in a vice until it cured.  It came out hard as a rock.

Rough shaped it using a milling machine and the Dremel drill press.  Started with a sanding drum attachment, but it clogged up pretty fast.  Next I tried this burr which was only marginally better.  Ended up using a 1/8" end mill which worked best.

Sanded prop with machined prop hub.  I did most of the sanding on a belt sander to make short work of it.  I'll be adding bolts to the hub.  Prop will be clear coated and painted with Tamiya clear orange to finish it.

I made the cockpit coaming with Miliput formed on a plastic card with the same shape as the cockpit cutout.

Only the windshield and fuel gauge is left to make.  Then weathering, so this will likely be the last update in this thread.
Thanks to all who followed this build.  Look for the unveiling in the completed builds thread.

Offline RLWP

• Bodger
« Reply #76 on: April 29, 2018, 02:55:10 AM »
That prop is lovely

I usually make them old school with a coarse file and sandpaper. It doesn't take long

Richard
Hendon for flying - the fastest way to the ground!

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #77 on: April 29, 2018, 04:02:13 AM »
    Your prop is an excellent touch, I'm amazed that it's paper and the laminations are excellent! Like Richard I use a knife, file, and sand paper as well (on wood) When I started carving my own I used a drum sander but found it too easy to go just a bit too far, so I reverted to the old trusty slower method.
   A fine model you've got here, and I'm looking forward to your Finished Model photos. 8) 8)
Cheers,
Lance

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #78 on: April 29, 2018, 09:05:55 PM »
That is a lovely propellor. Like Lance and Richard I use the older sandpaper and file method, but yours seems to have worked really well. The boss is excellent too.

Stephen.

Offline kensar

« Reply #79 on: April 30, 2018, 12:04:35 AM »
After clear coating and applying Tamiya clear orange, the prop looks really good.  I tried to use the correct number of layers (8-9).  If you look closely, the brown layer has red layers on either side.  This is how the report cover got a reddish brown color.  Not what I expected.
I was going to add bolts to the prop hub, but after seeing it as is, it just looks too good to add to it and risk detracting from the appearance. 
The model only lacks a windshield, which I will make today.

Again, thanks for following along and commenting.

Offline gbrivio

« Reply #80 on: April 30, 2018, 12:50:19 AM »
Your propeller is looking nice, and will be a fine addition to tour Fokker.
Giuseppe

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #81 on: April 30, 2018, 05:53:58 AM »
Nice work on the prop. You are almost there now. It has been a great build to follow along. Looking forward to seeing the conclusion!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline RLWP

• Bodger
« Reply #82 on: October 17, 2019, 06:11:04 PM »
Nice work on the prop. You are almost there now. It has been a great build to follow along. Looking forward to seeing the conclusion!
RAGIII

Did this reach a conclusion?

Richard
Hendon for flying - the fastest way to the ground!

Offline kensar

« Reply #83 on: October 18, 2019, 09:30:29 PM »
Yes, there is a thread in the completed builds forum.
Also, I did a second scratchbuild in the Des Delatore group build thread - Hanriot HD.2