Author Topic: Fokker D. II (Special Hobby, 1:32)  (Read 21540 times)

Offline Borsos

Fokker D. II (Special Hobby, 1:32)
« on: January 09, 2018, 05:23:32 AM »
Hello friends,
I am not building aircraft models these days because I am overrun with work and I can not enjoy my hobby at the moment facing a project that is too large for me. Normally Ithe only modelling things I can do these days is converting and painting figures as these are quite small projects that I can overlook until things get better again. So my dear Fe2d is on halt right now because I know I would ruin her at the moment.
But I am a big fan of early fighter aircraft of WWI, especially from 1916, so I am waiting for the new Special Hobby Fokker D. II in 1:32 scale since it was announced some months ago. This morning a small parcel arrived from Czech Republic...

So couldn't this cute little bird become finished in an acceptable amount of time? It will be a long way anyway, but it's a small plane and if I should ruin it as my nerves are not the best at the moment, I am not ruining an expensive high end kit. OK, enough babbling for now

What's in the Box?

There are three sprues in the small cardbox – a box that is too small for the size of the sprues so they are bent. The first thing I did was to cut the sprues into two parts to release the tension on the plastic.

Detail is sharp and crisp and looks like the usual Special Hobby standard; but the 3rd sprue contains the wings – which are banana shaped, as you can see:

Looking into the WDF it gets obvious that the wings should be entirely straight. After boiling some hot water in our large pasta pot, dipping the wings in for some five seconds and letting them cool down on a flat surface things got straight again.

So, enough for today, back to work... >:(
Best regards
Borsos

"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Online RAGIII

Re: Fokker D. II (Special Hobby, 1:32)
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2018, 07:51:17 AM »
I missed this one having been released. Thanks for posting. On my wish list for sure. I am looking forward to seeing you build this one.
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2018, 08:09:39 AM »
    This is news to me too, and good news at that! I need to have one of these for certain, and will be inquiring as to availability at my usual Canadian Shop. I'll be following your progress closely Borsos, I'm looking forward to seeing this one come together.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2018, 08:23:41 AM »
    This is news to me too, and good news at that! I need to have one of these for certain, and will be inquiring as to availability at my usual Canadian Shop. I'll be following your progress closely Borsos, I'm looking forward to seeing this one come together.
Cheers,
Lance

Same for me, I missed this one completely, like Lance I will be checking my local hobby shops for stocks,

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Bughunter

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2018, 08:34:26 AM »
We can do a group build, as long I can do it in 48 (also Special Hobby, SH48038)  ;) Is this a rescale kit?
But I have already to many things started :-\ One day ...
Finished until FFB in march?

Cheers,
Frank

Offline Thumbs up

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2018, 09:03:17 AM »
How did that sneak past us.

Offline RLWP

• Bodger
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2018, 09:06:30 AM »
On the Special Hobby website: https://www.specialhobby.eu/en/our-own-production/special-hobby/fokker-d-ii-black-white-tail-1-32-1.html

I have had a look through the instructions: https://www.specialhobby.eu/out/ftp/media/100-SH32065.pdf and it seems well thought out

And at that price, it's an absolute bargain

Richard
Hendon for flying - the fastest way to the ground!

Online Juan

• All gave some, some gave all.
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2018, 09:39:01 AM »
Looking forward to your handy work Borsos.  A real treat for the rest of us.  Popcorn at the ready.   ;D

Offline cduckworth

• My WW1 Models
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2018, 11:00:29 AM »
Glad to see SH added the seam on the fuselage sides which they completely messed up on the 1/48 kit.
"Look alive. Here comes a buzzard."  Pogo

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2018, 01:29:03 PM »
I just ordered this kit so will be following your build closely.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Syd Solo

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2018, 02:20:38 PM »
Borsos,

As usual, I expect you will make this to a very high standard. Looking forward to the build of one of my favourite aircraft.

Cheers

Syd

Offline rhwinter

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2018, 04:54:47 PM »
There was a bit of rumour about that kit coming along some months ago, then, late in autumn, the information, it‘ll be amongst us in December, and since then - nothing. Strange, as the Czechs usually know how to promote and sell...
I‘ll get me one, if the kit goes together well. So, looking forward to your builds, Des and Borsos!

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2018, 11:39:09 PM »
I just ordered this kit so will be following your build closely.

Des.

Did you find one at one of your shops Des, or order direct from Special Hobby? I'm concerned about the cost of postage etc.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline mgunns

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2018, 12:18:28 AM »
I too remember reading about this on this forum.  I am surprised to see it's appearance so soon and will be following the build.   It certainly will make an interesting model in the collection.
I wonder where they are available from.
Mark

We few, we happy few.....

Offline TobyCoulson

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2018, 02:29:20 AM »
I’ve had this on back order from Hannants for quite a while so glad it’s now been released.
Ale should be drunk out of a glass. Lager should be drunk out of desperation