Author Topic: WNW Sopwith Dolphin 1/32nd scale. 19 Squadron RAF: Pheon Decals  (Read 31143 times)

Online RAGIII

Re: WNW Sopwith Dolphin 1/32nd scale. 19 Squadron RAF: Pheon Decals
« Reply #30 on: April 09, 2018, 05:30:29 AM »
Wow! That’s a lovely blue!

You can add me to the list of fans of that colour.

Gary

Thanks Gary.
RAGIII

Rick,
I'm not normally a fan of blue, but this is excellent and very pleasing to the eyes my old friend.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette

Like I said I really like the paint. I will be using a couple of shades of DB PC 10 on this one also.
RAGIII

That looks very nice!

Thanks Gaz.
RAGIII

Fantastic work on the interior, Amigo, and I agree with Jason regarding the blue.  Perfect.  Drooling Bull Dog?  Gotta get me some.
Cheers,
Bud

Thanks Amigo. Still a bit to add on the innards.
RAGIII

Very nice work, Rick, she is shaping up really nicely!

Cheers

Ondra

Thanks Ondra!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline dr 1 ace

« Reply #31 on: April 09, 2018, 06:08:55 AM »
Fantastic work on the interior, Amigo, and I agree with Jason regarding the blue.  Perfect.  Drooling Bull Dog?  Gotta get me some.
Cheers,
Bud

So says AYE from Amigo #3!

Ed
Life is short, enjoy it, nobody gets out alive.

Online RAGIII

« Reply #32 on: April 09, 2018, 06:34:55 AM »
Cheers,
Bud

So says AYE from Amigo #3!

Ed

Thanks Amigo! By the way, one thing I am concerned about here. I think the blue will differ from the roundels provided. May need someone to come up with masks  8) On the other hand could just be due to a thinner application  ;D

RAGIII

Offline krow113

« Reply #33 on: April 09, 2018, 03:24:58 PM »
Lemme know if you need a set of masks, I still have a file  from The Biff Piece.
Would the blue of the roundels be different than the blue of the fuselage?
And how are you going to weather the blue?
This will be interesting.

Offline Trackpad

« Reply #34 on: April 09, 2018, 09:47:11 PM »
Thanks Amigo! By the way, one thing I am concerned about here. I think the blue will differ from the roundels provided. May need someone to come up with masks. On the other hand could just be due to a thinner application  ;D

I hesitate a bit about posting this but I do want to help a bit and don't want to "toss a spanner in the works" as it were. However...in correspondence with Rowan Broadbent, he indicated at one point that Citadel Paints for figures had two colours that matched the red and blue that he uses for his RFC/RAF national markings. Now, don't blame us for the names but the blue colour is "Kantor Blue" and the red is "Evil Sunz Scarlet"...really! ;D  Here's a photo of the rudder of my Albatros DV "Captured" showing these colours:

These paints are very thick but they thin nicely with Tamiya thinners and probably with IPA as well. Hope this might help a bit!  8)

Cheers!
Gary

"It was an adventure, a great adventure. And, like all great adventures, we never knew where it would lead or how it would end."

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
« Reply #35 on: April 09, 2018, 09:56:33 PM »
The cockpit looks super!
Like the others have stated, that blue color is nice.

Online RAGIII

« Reply #36 on: April 09, 2018, 10:55:58 PM »
Lemme know if you need a set of masks, I still have a file  from The Biff Piece.
Would the blue of the roundels be different than the blue of the fuselage?
And how are you going to weather the blue?
This will be interesting.

Thanks Steve, I will let you know in a PM if I go the Mask and paint route. I am still deciding on the weathering I noticed that the area behind the cockpit seems to collect a lot of wear and grime on a Battleship grey painted bird so probably will do some work there. As for the rest I am undecided. I am working strictly from profile drawings, aka flying blind, as none of my references on the Dolphin have a photo of this bird!
RAGIII
« Last Edit: April 09, 2018, 11:03:40 PM by RAGIII »

Online RAGIII

« Reply #37 on: April 09, 2018, 11:02:06 PM »
Thanks Amigo! By the way, one thing I am concerned about here. I think the blue will differ from the roundels provided. May need someone to come up with masks. On the other hand could just be due to a thinner application  ;D

I hesitate a bit about posting this but I do want to help a bit and don't want to "toss a spanner in the works" as it were. However...in correspondence with Rowan Broadbent, he indicated at one point that Citadel Paints for figures had two colours that matched the red and blue that he uses for his RFC/RAF national markings. Now, don't blame us for the names but the blue colour is "Kantor Blue" and the red is "Evil Sunz Scarlet"...really! ;D  Here's a photo of the rudder of my Albatros DV "Captured" showing these colours:

These paints are very thick but they thin nicely with Tamiya thinners and probably with IPA as well. Hope this might help a bit!  8)

Input is ALWAYS appreciated! In this case it would be a matter of do the Citadel Paints Match the WNW roundel blue as no roundels are included in Rowans beautiful Dolphin Sheets  :-[ I think I have two options here. Live with the difference or paint the roundels. Just have to decide my preference  8)
RAGIII

The cockpit looks super!
Like the others have stated, that blue color is nice.

Thanks for the compliment. Greatly appreciated!
RAGIII

Offline Trackpad

« Reply #38 on: April 09, 2018, 11:32:51 PM »
Hi, Rick,

"...do the Citadel Paints Match the WNW roundel blue as no roundels are included in Rowans beautiful Dolphin Sheets..."

I've got the WNW Dolphin so of course I've got the decal sheet. Laying my Albi rudder over the kit decal sheet I see that the Citadel rudder blue is slightly darker than the roundel blue: close, but not an exact match. For my eventual build, then, I'll probably add a smidge of white to the Citadel blue to bring it up to the roundel colour.  Hope this clarifies things a bit!  8)
Cheers!
Gary

"It was an adventure, a great adventure. And, like all great adventures, we never knew where it would lead or how it would end."

Online RAGIII

« Reply #39 on: April 10, 2018, 08:34:26 AM »
Hi, Rick,

"...do the Citadel Paints Match the WNW roundel blue as no roundels are included in Rowans beautiful Dolphin Sheets..."

I've got the WNW Dolphin so of course I've got the decal sheet. Laying my Albi rudder over the kit decal sheet I see that the Citadel rudder blue is slightly darker than the roundel blue: close, but not an exact match. For my eventual build, then, I'll probably add a smidge of white to the Citadel blue to bring it up to the roundel colour.  Hope this clarifies things a bit!  8)

Thanks for the info. I think I will stay with the DB on this one and look into the Citadel Colors for the future.
RAGIII

Online RAGIII

« Reply #40 on: April 17, 2018, 08:03:04 AM »
I have progressed on the interior. Only have detailed areas that will be seen when all is closed up. Bracing wires are Stretched Sprue. I will add white glue turnbuckles later today.
RAGIII

« Last Edit: April 29, 2023, 02:36:50 AM by RAGIII »

Offline Dave W

• Administrator
« Reply #41 on: April 17, 2018, 08:28:54 AM »
Wow! That is seriously brilliant modelling there Rick! Love the detail and paintwork.

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia
Owner and Administrator of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Trackpad

« Reply #42 on: April 17, 2018, 09:26:51 AM »
Hi, Rick,

Excellent work, and I do love it when someone turns the clock back through EZ-Line, fishing line, Modelkasten and other such-like rigging items and settles on what started it all: stretched sprue. Super! And I am curious as to how you form turnbuckles out of white glue. Inquiring minds need to know, and your secret will be safe with me! 8)
Cheers!
Gary

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #43 on: April 17, 2018, 09:32:49 AM »
Beautiful work, Amigo, and the stretched sprue looks fantastic!
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
« Reply #44 on: April 17, 2018, 09:53:39 AM »
 Rick,
Excellent work my old friend. Love the old school rigging. Well Done and keep these updates coming.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"