Author Topic: WNW AEG G.IV (Late) 574/18 Canadian Aviation and Space Museum  (Read 50812 times)

Offline mgunns

Re: WNW AEG G.IV (Late) 574/18 Canadian Aviation and Space Museum
« Reply #60 on: January 16, 2018, 02:35:56 PM »
Top notch work Lance:  The lightening holes on the seat support are a nice touch.  You have captured nicely the seat cushion that will be stowed and the nice cushion in the pilots seat, well executed and very realistic looking.  The new inclonometer looks nice too, I think you are correct in the assumption that WNW copied a later version of it vice the period piece you have shown.  I am not a big fan of the fabric seat belts, but you could make me one.  Seeing what and how you have done it; the rolling between the fingers technique will be employed on my next venture, whatever that may be.
The lines on the fuel transfer line are neat little add on as well, adding more interest in that area.  All in all time well spent with maximum results on the interior thuse far.
I coudn't do a thing without the optivisor.
Looking forward to the next update and curious as to "whats next" on the Carroll "bench."  ;)
Mark

We few, we happy few.....

Online lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #61 on: January 17, 2018, 12:23:39 AM »
Thanks Mark, validation is a great motivator! The HGW belts are great but, at least for me, a time consuming process. The instructions on this particular set are badly flawed, missing and mislabeled part numbers being numerous, and I had to study the details for a while to figure out the sequence and placement. Bottom line though is the end product is unbeatable IMHO. Also, you've never lived until you've struggled with the "rolling between the fingers" thing with arthritic fingers! I've got 3 of the 4 sets built and will be applying some pastel highlights hopefully today.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Gisbod

« Reply #62 on: January 17, 2018, 06:48:39 AM »
They do look great though Lance!

Guy
“Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth -
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.”

P.O. John Gillespie Magee 1941

Online lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #63 on: January 17, 2018, 09:08:45 AM »
Thanks for looking Guy. Here they are ready for installation. They were given a light "dusting" of mid brown pastel powder to dirty them up a bit and add some contrast to the details, I'm pleased with how they turned out. I'm in in the process of installing them, great little product but as I say, not a fast one.

Cheers,
Lance

Offline mgunns

« Reply #64 on: January 17, 2018, 03:29:45 PM »
They do look nice Lance.  I might have to revisit them.  Very realistic looking.
Mark

We few, we happy few.....

Online RAGIII

« Reply #65 on: January 17, 2018, 09:04:56 PM »
Very realistic results on those belts. I understand completely what you are saying about the instructions and mislabels etc. I have a set for the Albatros and can't get past the instructions  :-[
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #66 on: January 17, 2018, 09:08:15 PM »
The seat belts are beautifully done Lance, they are a great colour.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Online lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #67 on: January 18, 2018, 03:55:29 AM »
   Thanks Guys. The belts take on a totally different look with some color. I like the effect of the pastels and pigments as they also provide a lot of flexibility in how much color/effect you want. Another advantage of these fabric ones (in my experience) is the ease with which they can be installed compared to the less flexible metal ones.
    I'll post some more photos once they are installed.
Cheers,
Lance

Online lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #68 on: January 20, 2018, 04:59:41 AM »
    I've completed the cockpit module at last. The HGW Belts went in very nicely and once a bit of paint was scraped from a few of the joins the fuselage fit like the proverbial glove. It's shown here taped together, I still need to install the lower "tunnel" gun and do the fuselage cross bracing in that area before permanently closing it.

The Commander's forward Kanzel was completed first, the frame cross bracing being installed using Modelkasten stretch line and Bob's Buckles.

The HGW fabric belts followed.

Next came the Gunner's "Pit", the frame members fit very nicely and his seat belts were added.

The instrument panel and control wheel were added next followed by the upper frame members and the belts. The Commander's cockpit seat was also installed in the stowed position.

And now it's time for a "true confessions" input; anyone whose built this model will see in the next photo that I installed the upper frame upside down, which left the stowed seat unsupported on the left side. Thankfully this is hidden with the upper turtle deck section installed on the fuselage........... so I'm leaving it as is.

I'm now placing her on the shelf for a week or two while I start a shorter Build. I find that if I stay on a long project like this I tend to get careless and impatient; I'm much looking forward to a break and change of pace.
   More to follow on this one in a few weeks.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #69 on: January 20, 2018, 05:58:28 AM »
I have a simple question Lance. How do you make seat belts from leather in that scale?  We would all like to know so that we can too! And you are having us all on the end of a piece of string with the scale at the top of this blog....aren't you?!

Stephen

Online RAGIII

« Reply #70 on: January 20, 2018, 06:12:38 AM »
The belts, and all of the other details look awesome in place Lance! Your usual gorgeous work!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Online lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #71 on: January 20, 2018, 06:30:26 AM »
Stephen, Rick,
    Thank you both very much for your very generous comments!
Stephen, I'd like to take credit for the belts however when you start with a good product it's hard to not get a good result! Although as noted the instructions weren't great with this particular set the material and the way they are assembled make them a really good product.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline boggie

« Reply #72 on: January 20, 2018, 03:09:06 PM »
Very, very nice work Lance.  :)

Fabulous crew stations - excellent detail!

I await, ice cold beer in hand, the start of your interim build and eagerly awaiting your return to this most excellent GIV.

(Actually, a case of beer, it's 40 deg c here today, same yesterday and 40+ forecast for the next couple of days.  :o

But at least I don't have to shovel snow.  ;D

Offline GB

« Reply #73 on: January 20, 2018, 05:11:09 PM »
Superb work. Especially like the belts - very realistic finish  8)

Gary

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #74 on: January 20, 2018, 05:43:23 PM »
Superb workmanship Lance, your attention to detail is exceptional and your choice of colours is spot on.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com