Author Topic: WNW AEG G.IV (Late) 574/18 Canadian Aviation and Space Museum  (Read 50809 times)

Offline aliluke

Re: WNW AEG G.IV (Late) 574/18 Canadian Aviation and Space Museum
« Reply #150 on: March 22, 2018, 02:16:53 PM »
Hi Lance
I'm enjoying watching this one for sure. Wonderful work. Not sure if I'll ever have the courage to age a model to this extent but it looks very authentic and real. The kit detail is extraordinary and beautifully picked out and enhanced by your renditions of it.

Thanks,
Alistair
It ain't a hobby if you have to hurry.

Aviattic

« Reply #151 on: March 22, 2018, 07:36:56 PM »
Lovely work Lance!
The fabric now covering the Canadian AEG is a recent impression of what it replaced - the entire airframe was stripped and renovated. My decals don't attempt to replicate those but the regular 5 colour, doped over with dark blue (hence different interpretations for upper and lower surfaces). The intention - as with all my decals - is that the modeller adds glazes, washes, varnishes, weathering to achieve the desired effect and a series of "blue/green" mist coats will achieve what you are after.
I look forward to seeing it!

Regards
Richard

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #152 on: March 29, 2018, 06:46:47 AM »
    I've finally completed the upper surfaces by applying a "Black-Green" filter as referred to in the Wingnut Wings Booklet. Before I forget thank you for your earlier comments Richard. I tried a test piece using a blue filter and determined the greenish variety looked to my eye more like the sample examined and photographed by Canadian Historical Researcher Alexander Comber and pictured in the Kit's Instruction booklet as well. I'm the first to admit that the sample has no doubt been altered by the effects of aging, it's 100 years old after all!
   The filter I used was a very thin mixture of Tamiya X-20A Thinner with a few drops of their XF-27 Black-Green and a few more of their Semi Gloss Black. The wash was misted on in 3 sessions until I was happy with the effect. The photos, all in Macro Mode, show the underlying lozenge more clearly then the real thing. Overall I'm very happy with the results. The Model is slightly lighter then the actual restored aircraft as seen in the Museum however I wanted to ensure the Aviattic Lozenge pattern was still apparent. I'm extremely happy with the results of deciding to go with the Aviattic Decals and a filter in lieu of the Kit decals.

These two photos show the upper wing center section with the right side misted with the filter and the left in the original untouched Aviattic Night Lozenge, upper pattern,  clear backing on gloss white wing. The first with just an all X-27 misting, the second with the S/G Black added to the filter.

and the final version:

..... and here's a few of the fuselage:

Next I hope to complete the undersides and then it will get a few coats of future to seal it and prepare for application of the markings. I should mention that I had to remove and replace the right forward side panel of lozenge as some creases that I hadn't noticed earlier become very obvious and ugly due to some color wearing off with all the handling. That went extremely well and "I heaved an enormous sigh of relief and forged on"!
    It's a very slow Build however so far all's going well.
Cheers,
Lance
« Last Edit: March 29, 2018, 08:11:50 AM by lcarroll »

Offline Scrodes

« Reply #153 on: March 29, 2018, 08:45:04 AM »
Wow Lance,

Those decals are money well spent. The pattern is wonderfully subtle without being dull.

and to think I was going cross-eyed applying some Eduard canopy masks this afternoon. The downside of subtle surface detail it that the canopy frames are almost impossible to see.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #154 on: March 29, 2018, 08:46:11 AM »
Well done Lance. The filter looks terrific!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #155 on: March 29, 2018, 12:00:23 PM »
    Justin, Matt, and Rick, many thanks for looking in and for your comments. I completed the lower surfaces this afternoon and in total have applied 3 X 10ml jars of the Black-Green filter ......... I guess I could have reduced that by mixing it less thin however I was very concerned to not overdo the effect. Most of those 30 ml's are drifting around the garage as the products of evaporation and drying. If SWMBO's car has a tinted green finish tomorrow I'll be moving to a tent on the lawn! :o
Cheers,
Lance

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
« Reply #156 on: March 29, 2018, 01:20:20 PM »
 Lance,
You might want a warm blanket or two if necessary . Outstanding job on your filters my old friend.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette

PS: Congratulations on being named as our new moderator. I don't believe a better choice could have been made and you've more than earned it.
" What Me Worry"

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #157 on: March 29, 2018, 04:46:07 PM »
Impressive work, Lance  ;)
Keep sending out those waves of inspiration.

Cheers,
Bob V B  :)

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline Borsos

« Reply #158 on: March 29, 2018, 06:03:25 PM »
Very impressive decalling, Lance. I cannot wait to see that AEG on its wheels. It will be a true masterpiece.
Andreas
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline GazzaS

« Reply #159 on: March 29, 2018, 06:07:04 PM »
Those decals look cool!

Gaz
There are only two states to be in:  Queensland and blotto.

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #160 on: March 29, 2018, 10:17:10 PM »
     Many thanks for your encouraging words Gents.
     Greg, so far so good but I'll keep a couple of thick wooley blankets handy! ;)
Cheers,
Lance

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #161 on: March 30, 2018, 02:52:41 AM »
If you do have to move into a tent Lance it will have been worth it because that finish is just superb. I think that you were right to do it in stages (and tint your wife's car - will she really notice? Tell her it is the new fashion and will soon be all the rage......) as you could easily have overdone it. Better slow and get it right than fast and make horrible mistakes.

Stephen.

Aviattic

« Reply #162 on: April 01, 2018, 09:31:05 AM »
Excellent, Lance!

Regards
Richard

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #163 on: April 01, 2018, 11:10:12 AM »
Thanks for commenting Stephen and Richard. I'm happy to report that the entire assembly is now sealed with two coats of Future and I'll be adding the markings next. Actually, in an effort to get back in line with Wingnut's Instruction booklet sequence I'm presently adding the three top deck sections to the fuselage and doing some touch ups as I go. I'll make a decision on whether to take a small break and return to the Clerget Camel or go back to the engines once the  markings are on.
    ...... and before I forget, the concern regarding the finish on SWMBO's car proved of no concern; it was a bit mud covered from some earlier work done on our road and I suspect that saved the day, it was washed and proved "squeaky clean", so no mention of a concern heard! My tent and sleeping bag are back in the storage room.:) ;)
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Juan

• All gave some, some gave all.
« Reply #164 on: April 01, 2018, 11:23:34 AM »
Looking great Lance, glad to hear that you will not be using the tent.  Looking forward to whatever modeling path you decide to take.   ;D