Author Topic: Any WW1 news from Telford?  (Read 13161 times)

Online lcarroll

• Administrator
Re: Any WW1 news from Telford?
« Reply #30 on: November 20, 2017, 05:55:02 AM »
    I highly doubt that that Copper State will "switch to 1:32" entirely let alone to any great degree. Many of the bigger producers do releases in more then one scale, and are very successful from a marketing perspective. If Edgar at Copper State releases the rumored Ni.17 it will hardly be of negative impact on his range of excellent 1:48 Kits.
   As for 1:48 Modellers having to be "better modellers and artists" I have to disagree; I'd say the works of the 1:144 Scale "Ondras" here easily match the quality of the many 1:32 artists and all in between generally. I was a 1/4 Inch Scale Guy for over half of my 65+ years of model building so I feel confident in making that statement.  I believe you said earlier on "to each his own" or something similar, and I'd say that pretty well covers the topic. I switched to 1:32 because I believed my age conditions prevented me from adding the level of detail I enjoy to the smaller scale. I still, however, truly admire the results modellers of ALL Scales present here.
   I really appreciate Borsos' comments, I see this as a good thing for the Hobby as well.
   Relax! I really don't believe the cadre of 1:48 purists here are threatened by the rumored release of an "occasional" model in a different scale any more then I am by Roden having a stable of 1:48 Kits along with their 1:32 Scale offerings. We all enjoy our own preferences and still appreciate the fruits of others labors, keeps the fun in the Hobby and enriches the Forum IMHO!
Cheers,
Lance
« Last Edit: November 23, 2017, 12:57:09 AM by lcarroll »

Offline Dave W

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: November 20, 2017, 08:36:12 AM »
WW1 model companies walk a financial tightrope when developing new kits so it's inevitable they will look to where the best sales/ profits may be realised. It's a business first and foremost.

I'm told it costs a minimum six figure sum to develop and produce a new kit so with big dollars riding on it, a model company needs more than just expressions of support to survive. Do those who say "I"ll buy two/ three/six" of a new kit actually do so?

The 1/48th scale enthusiasts rightly want some quality new kits in their preferred scale but do they support the new kits with enough actual sales to make a profit for the model manufacturer? Like it or not 1/32 scale is very popular and from a model business point of view it makes sense to cater for that market as well as 1/48th and 1/72 too if the budget will stretch to it.

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia

Owner and Administrator of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Online RAGIII

« Reply #32 on: November 20, 2017, 08:47:31 AM »
A few words from me.
Of course it`s logical that each scale has it`s own audience or a market, and bigger scale allows you to make a model more detailed, plus you don`t need a microscope for it. But there is a one major issue and that is a size of your house/apartment. That is why, in my opinion, 1/48 or quarter scale is most balanced scale for WWI sujects, as you can build a fighter or even a bomber and still be able to build more.
Copper State always did 1/48 scale, so I can state that we are not leaving this scale. But reality is also dictates its rules and we need, at least, to consider other scales, those big ones like 32 or 35 or smaller one like 72.
From what I learned by developing and selling 48 WWI models I can say that pop subjects sells very good, but most of them are already there on the shop shelves waiting for you so we need to choose carefully what to make and when.
It`s only a 1.5 years that we are doing plastic kits, and "tomorrow" we will not stop doing them.
As for 2018, we would like to focus more on Central Powers instead of Entente, since so far we had no German or Austrian aeroplanes.
Two things are for sure
1.We will be trying other scales
2.We will continue 1/48 for sure

So now that Edgar has put this one to sleep as far as abandoning 1/48th we can all look forward to something in whatever our favorite scale is  8)
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline RLWP

• Bodger
« Reply #33 on: November 20, 2017, 08:49:18 AM »
Thank you Edgar. As a 1:32 scale modeller, I'm grateful for anything you may produce

Richard
Hendon for flying - the fastest way to the ground!

Online lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: November 20, 2017, 10:29:36 AM »
Thank you Edgar. As a 1:32 scale modeller, I'm grateful for anything you may produce

Richard

You can add my support and agreement to Richard's comment as well!! :) :) :)
Cheers,
Lance

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #35 on: November 20, 2017, 03:16:34 PM »
Until just a few years ago, I was a hard core 1/48 builder.  Then I saw the WNW Ninak and had to have one since none existed in 1/48 scale.  Once I had my first look at the Ninak, I was hooked on WNW kits.  However, it was years before I finally built my first, the Sopwith Triplane.  Still a dyed in the wool 1/48 scale fan, but now I have 33 WNW kits in the stash and 3 completed, averaging 1 for every 4 1/48 scale build.  I also have the wonderful Aviattic Ansaldo in my stash and I hope to build it soon.  When Copper State releases their Nie. 17, I will buy it as well as any subsequent 1/32 scale releases.  I know Edgar and he is deeply committed to keeping the CSM tradition of 1/48 scale WWI aircraft alive, so if he says they will not abandon us 1/48 scale modelers, he will keep his work.  That is why I will support everything he does, regardless of scale, be they aircraft, armored cars or figures.  The money makers will give them the freedom to pursue the less popular subjects.  Just my 2 cents.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Online RAGIII

« Reply #36 on: November 21, 2017, 12:01:54 AM »
Until just a few years ago, I was a hard core 1/48 builder.  Then I saw the WNW Ninak and had to have one since none existed in 1/48 scale.  Once I had my first look at the Ninak, I was hooked on WNW kits.  However, it was years before I finally built my first, the Sopwith Triplane.  Still a dyed in the wool 1/48 scale fan, but now I have 33 WNW kits in the stash and 3 completed, averaging 1 for every 4 1/48 scale build.  I also have the wonderful Aviattic Ansaldo in my stash and I hope to build it soon.  When Copper State releases their Nie. 17, I will buy it as well as any subsequent 1/32 scale releases.  I know Edgar and he is deeply committed to keeping the CSM tradition of 1/48 scale WWI aircraft alive, so if he says they will not abandon us 1/48 scale modelers, he will keep his work.  That is why I will support everything he does, regardless of scale, be they aircraft, armored cars or figures.  The money makers will give them the freedom to pursue the less popular subjects.  Just my 2 cents.
Cheers,
Bud

Well said Amigo!  I realized that I had actually started transitioning to 1/32nd before WNW came along. I think it happened when I built my first Roden DR1 and the Albatros DI for Internet Modeler. Then came Aeroscale and the Roden GB, and.... I also realized that I have only about 9 finished 1/48th WW1 aircraft vs about 16 1/32nd now, and that I had more unfinished 1/48th WW1 builds than finished !  8)
RAGIII

"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Radarman

« Reply #37 on: November 21, 2017, 10:45:01 AM »
I build all scales and am always happy to see something new. A new and improved Nieuport 17 in 1/32 is going to be fantastic. Now when it comes to 1/48th scale, I'd like to see a Junkers J.1. In 1/72nd, how about a Nieuport 28 C1 to replace the poor old Revell kit? These are just my thoughts.

We are all victims of history!

Online rolanddvi

« Reply #38 on: November 21, 2017, 11:16:43 AM »
I'm with you radarman on the 1/72 Ni-28. Would also like to see a 1/72 Sopwith Triplane.

Mike

Offline Syd Solo

« Reply #39 on: November 21, 2017, 04:18:25 PM »
I'm with you radarman on the 1/72 Ni-28. Would also like to see a 1/72 Sopwith Triplane.

Mike
Yes, yes and yes again! N.28 and Sop Tripe in 72 are very desirable new types in this scale. The dear old Revell kits require too much work to correct. The tripe already has many good markings options, thanks to Pheon.

Cheers

Syd

Offline Captain Slower

• Every Dog Has His Day
« Reply #40 on: November 22, 2017, 12:15:15 AM »
Edgar,

As Central Powers Aircraft are concerned, I suspect WNW may not do these, but would be welcomed in my collection:  Halberstadt DII/DIII, Albatros DII and DIII, LVG C.II, and Albatros C.VII.  Could leverage the C.VII to a C.V with the 8 cylinder.  A Voisin would be nifty as well.  My thoughts....

Offline dr 1 ace

« Reply #41 on: November 22, 2017, 08:48:25 AM »
Edgar,

As Central Powers Aircraft are concerned, I suspect WNW may not do these, but would be welcomed in my collection:  Halberstadt DII/DIII, Albatros DII and DIII, LVG C.II, and Albatros C.VII.  Could leverage the C.VII to a C.V with the 8 cylinder.  A Voisin would be nifty as well.  My thoughts....

Correct me if wrong, but is there not a Halberstadt in New Zealand ????  I'd think WNW would do one so CSM would be wise to hold off on that one and do another.

Ed
Life is short, enjoy it, nobody gets out alive.

Offline Captain Slower

• Every Dog Has His Day
« Reply #42 on: November 22, 2017, 02:38:37 PM »
The Halberstadt in NZ was originally in the US, I believe in the Ryder Collection.  It is a look-alike replica, but not an accurate reproduction, so they would be better off beginning with the Windsock Data File.

Offline Doug Mace

« Reply #43 on: November 23, 2017, 03:10:07 AM »
Alright, Edgar...here we go....the door is open and we come pouring in...so very happy to read you have Austro-Hungarian machines firmly in mind...and no one can deny there is a massive shortage of them in 1/32nd scale....so blaze a trail with a 1/32 Phonix DI, how about? And to my Albatross liking, a beautiful, sleek 1/32 Albatross C.XII? In any event, much success to you.             -M
"Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes"  -   Oscar Wilde

Offline mgunns

« Reply #44 on: November 24, 2017, 05:28:20 AM »
It is good to see that CSM has in the works a 1/32nd Nie.17.  Yes, the Academy kit has been out for years but is seriously in need of an upgrade and the CSM kit I am sure will be a welcome and successful addition to the 1/32nd scale WWI A/C lineup.  I am sure it can also be used as the basis for variations of the Nie. as well.  Using some parts from various Roden kits could offer a variety of Nieuports that the modeler could cobble together.  It is also nice to see that CSM will not be "abandoning" 1/48 scale leaving the dedicated 1/48 scale WWI a/c modelers hope for a "brighter day tomorrow."
A factor that kitmakers are looking at, besides cost, is the demographics.   I am sure a lot of us who started building WWI aircraft as kids back in the '50's either with 1/72nd Airfix kits or 1/48 Aurora kits, are now well into our 60's and find that building a WWI a/c in 1/32nd is much easier on the eyes and the dexterity than a 1/48 or 1/72nd scale offering.
When CSM does release their Nie.17 in 2018, I will be purchasing one with the intent to build it.  It will be intersting to see what markings will be included in the kit as well.  I have some markings form a couple of Academy kits that would be fun to do as well.
Kudos, accolades and "Hats Off" to CSM for taking this bold step into the realm of 1/32nd scale; hopefully the modeling community will respond accordingly with support for this effort.
Mark

We few, we happy few.....