Author Topic: Sierra Scale Aviatik D.I 1:48 vacform  (Read 17655 times)

Offline ta152c

• My threads are doing iron man numbers
Sierra Scale Aviatik D.I 1:48 vacform
« on: April 20, 2012, 03:59:58 AM »
Here are some pics :

Sanded out with 80 grade paper on my home-made sanding block, then thinned out the wings (double-surfaced), built the basic interior ribbing, floor and added tabs for strength, will continue once I know what variant I'm doing. I will probably fully expose the engine and internal guns etc.

There you go :)
"I hope he burned all the way down" - Mannock on hearing of the death of Manfred Von Richthofen, 1918.

Offline Pete Nottingham

• I chose the wrong week to stop sniffing glue
Re: Sierra Scale Aviatik D.I 1:48 vacform
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2012, 04:03:45 AM »
Oh boy! I don't think I could cope with a vacform, but you are doing a splendid job.

Cheers

Pete.

Offline ta152c

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2012, 04:09:50 AM »
Give it a go, you can get them at a very reasonable price in shows now, once sanded out, just like an injection kit.

Regards :)
"I hope he burned all the way down" - Mannock on hearing of the death of Manfred Von Richthofen, 1918.

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2012, 05:05:23 AM »
  David,
The Aviatik D.I is coming along beautifully my friend. Your interior work is really great,can't wait to see it with paint. The only thing I would add would be to thin the wig down a little more. I know you'll loss the details on the wings but these can easily be replaced with 1mm tape. That's what I ended up doing to my example many years ago and it came out very well. I always appreciate you guys who build these great vacuform kits and your vac builds here are no exception.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2012, 05:10:56 AM »
  Pete,
My friend you've got to give one of these vacuform kits a try. As David has said once the sanding is done they build up just as any other kit. Judging from your many excellent project you've post in the past , it wouldn't be anything you couldn't do and do well. Take care my friend and give it a little thought.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline ta152c

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2012, 05:35:13 AM »
Thanks Gregory.

Once the cold lifts I'll go over the wings again, as you say, I can add rib tapes anyway.

Offline ta152c

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2012, 06:43:14 AM »
Oh boy! I don't think I could cope with a vacform, but you are doing a splendid job.

Cheers

Pete.

It only took an hour, sitting in the back garden with the cats, cup of tea, cigarette and a 4" long block of 3"x 1" wood, some double-sided tape, 80 grade paper and all the major parts were sanded out. I got the tip about the block from George Munro of the Between the Wars IPMS UK SIG. No need to wet sand, just outline the parts with a black marker, cut as close as you can all round (I use scissors) leaving an edge about 2-3mm (not much bigger), sand away a section at a time, block keeps things nice and level, till the surrounding edge is almost flaking off. Continue till done. Any further work is done with flexible nail buffers you can buy at any discount store.

There you go :)

Offline Chris Johnson

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2012, 09:03:18 AM »
You make it sound so simple . . . but I can't be fooled. I know it involves a healthy dose of black magic.  ;)

Cheers,

Chris
You can have it good; You can have it fast; you can have it cheap. Pick any two, but all three are impossible.

Offline NinetythirdLiberator

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2012, 09:10:43 AM »
This is coming along splendidly!  I just got a couple more vacs for suupppppeerrr cheap at a recent show and am itching to get started on at least one of them.

We'll all be watching this one!

Cheers,

Dan

Offline ta152c

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2012, 09:40:29 AM »
You make it sound so simple . . . but I can't be fooled. I know it involves a healthy dose of black magic.  ;)

Cheers,

Chris

As long as you keep checking, thats it. Vacforms get a bad press, but its still a model, and, like injection kits, any gaps can be fixed. They are really cheap now, usually in cardboard boxes at shows. I'm going to try and get a Brandenburg C.I, Aviatik C.I and Phonix C.I in 1:48, same manufacturer as the kit above. If you see any, let me know!

Offline ta152c

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2012, 09:42:47 AM »
This is coming along splendidly!  I just got a couple more vacs for suupppppeerrr cheap at a recent show and am itching to get started on at least one of them.

We'll all be watching this one!

Cheers,

Dan

What did you get -1:72 or 1:48?

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2012, 10:05:47 AM »
i really gonna try to cast those 3 a/d engines for you in the next few days. 2 for the oef albies and one for this guy.

Offline ta152c

« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2012, 10:17:26 AM »
What can I say, except thanks, Scott.

Offline NinetythirdLiberator

« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2012, 03:15:01 AM »
Hi David (I think?? :o)

I got a 48th Albatros 2-seater.  I have several 72nd and 48th in the stash.  I think if we ever get an old kit GB going, I'll be cracking those out.

Vacs really do get a bum rap.  :'(  Plastic is plastic and filler is filler!!  ;)

Keep posting,

Dan

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2012, 03:35:04 AM »
You're off to a fantastic start, David.  I'm really gonna enjoy watching this one come together.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence