Author Topic: Sierra Scale Aviatik D.I 1:48 vacform  (Read 17888 times)

Offline ta152c

• My threads are doing iron man numbers
Re: Sierra Scale Aviatik D.I 1:48 vacform
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2012, 04:37:34 AM »
Hi David (I think?? :o)

I got a 48th Albatros 2-seater.  I have several 72nd and 48th in the stash.  I think if we ever get an old kit GB going, I'll be cracking those out.

Vacs really do get a bum rap.  :'(  Plastic is plastic and filler is filler!!  ;)

Keep posting,

Dan

Hello Dan.

Well said :)
"I hope he burned all the way down" - Mannock on hearing of the death of Manfred Von Richthofen, 1918.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2012, 08:35:12 AM »
excellent work David! I am enjoying watching this one on both sites  8)
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2012, 08:28:56 PM »
What you have done so far looks very good, never having made a vacform leaves me in the dark a little, I will follow this build and see what tips I can pick up.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline ta152c

« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2012, 09:21:16 PM »
Thanks Des!

If my WIP helps people, cool. I do hope that the vacform section gets full of really interesting aircraft, there are lots of esoteric ones out there.

Regards :)
"I hope he burned all the way down" - Mannock on hearing of the death of Manfred Von Richthofen, 1918.

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2012, 11:11:08 PM »
Hi David (I think?? :o)

I got a 48th Albatros 2-seater.  I have several 72nd and 48th in the stash.  I think if we ever get an old kit GB going, I'll be cracking those out.

Vacs really do get a bum rap.  :'(  Plastic is plastic and filler is filler!!  ;)

Keep posting,

Dan

Hello Dan.

Well said :)

Dan,
I couldn't agree more vacuform do certainly get a bum rap. Having said that have you noticed the biggest critics have never build one or in some case have never even attempted the build. With most I believe it's a fear of the unknown while others simply don't like vac's because seen as too much work.

At some point I hope we can have that Old Kit GB here and vac's would certainly be welcomed. You never know I might just build one myself. My last was in progress and about 90% complete went it was totally wreaked. I think you can still see the thread over at Aeroscale somewhere.My Strutter was part of the Two Seat GB several years back.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline fredsopwith

« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2012, 05:39:25 AM »
Great work ! I really cannot fathom why vacs get such a bad press. They are an ideal medium for WW1 stuff, need the same prep as a modest resin, but are 1/3 the price or less!

Offline ta152c

« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2012, 08:17:31 AM »
I think that modellers expectations have changed, possibly due to the magazines, and that the many good things about vacforms are submerged by the cliches. Yes, they do take 'preparation', but not that much. Yes, they can be 'difficult', so can resin kits and plastic ones. "You have to make your own parts", who hasn't? After all, the definition of a model is 'reproduction of a subject', ergo any media.

"Offbeat subjects" Unlike resin kits then? Or the recent 1:48 Trumpeter Me509 (which I have, lol).

In my opinion, admittedly not everybody's, the advantages of them outweigh the disadvantages. You also learn things that are transferable to injection-moulded models =WIN, and they are cheaper too =WINRAR

There you go :)

Offline Jim52

« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2012, 08:50:24 AM »
Ta152c,
           I just happen to agree with you. WW1 aircraft modeling has not only survived but,
grown with Vacforms. They provided the Base that DML, Blue Max, Pegasus, and Eduard,
grew from. Think of Aeroclub, Tom's, and Foto-Cut in the aftermarket. I feel that if we had
that larger base in 1/32, more injection Mfgs might take the plunge. Just 2-cents and in
today's economy?? ::) OK, back to building!!

Jim

Offline ta152c

« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2012, 09:47:45 AM »
Thanks, hopefully this section will get more busy as people give them a go, looking forward to seeing more builds.

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2012, 03:10:10 PM »
my experience w vacs is very limited but from what i can see the fuselage is almost better than a rudimentary im kit cuz the plastic is much more to scale thickness. you just have to scratch the interior framing and other details just like for a short run kit. now the wings and struts are another story. i just dont care for the vac wings. on my hb c1 i will be scratching them,most likely balsa core with 5 thou skin then use strips to sim the ribs. on my spad a2 i lucked out and realized that my lindberg jenny had wings that were slightly wider in cord so i'm using those im wings from that old dog for that one.

Offline ta152c

« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2012, 03:49:08 AM »
Some progress today. Cut open the cowlings, cockpit windows, made wooden slat effect on cockpit floor, made fuel tank. Decided to add some thickness to the fin/rudder, so glued it onto thin card (20 thou), sanded and reprofiled it. To add tapes to it. Also cut the lower wing in half, made temporary spar from brass tubing. Its starting to look better :)

« Last Edit: May 24, 2012, 03:52:27 AM by ta152c »

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2012, 05:40:34 AM »
  David,
Wow the Aviatik is looking fantastic my friend. Outstanding work on her interior . Can't wait to see the interior complete and painted.I've got a feeling this is going to be really something else.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2012, 07:24:44 AM »
Thats coming along nicely. Its like an injection kit now that the parts are cut out.

Steve

Offline ta152c

« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2012, 08:07:15 AM »
Its slow, but I'm on it. White plastic is a pain but hardly a criticism. Tomorrow should see more interior stuff done. Nice kit though.

Offline ta152c

« Reply #29 on: May 26, 2012, 07:16:19 AM »
As promised, more work. Engine bearers, IP, fuel tank, opened up nose for frontal radiator, fitted it (cut a bit over :( but will repair). Cut out shell ejector chute and hole for mg barrel. Had to widen cockpit bulkhead with plastic strip, and noticed that port fuselage is a wee bit over-sanded at the nose. Thinned down the kit radiator part a bit, gap in cowling will be filled with plastic strip, and the condenser unit atop should also cover the join.
Added base for rudder bar.

Prop isn't the correct one, just there to give a general idea. Thickening the tailfin makes it look much better, I felt the one I sanded out was too slim in profile, but that was probably me, not the kit. Its very good, actually. I've learned a bit from it, and since this was my first thread, I need to finish it first.

Next job is rudder bar, control column, mounting brackets for fuel tank and buried mg, throttle lever and some internal stuff. Seat and seatbelt too. Its moving along.

« Last Edit: May 26, 2012, 07:21:20 AM by ta152c »