Author Topic: Sierra Scale Aviatik D.I 1:48 vacform  (Read 17654 times)

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
Re: Sierra Scale Aviatik D.I 1:48 vacform
« Reply #30 on: May 26, 2012, 07:33:38 AM »
Looks good. its shaping up!

Steve

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
« Reply #31 on: May 26, 2012, 07:44:56 AM »
  David,
She's coming right along my friend. It's awfully difficult to avoid over sanding at times isn't it. A little too much finger pressure on the part you're sanding and there you go over sanding. Sounds like you've the matter well in hand though.I'm looking forward to seeing the interior painted and complete.I know this is going to be excellently done.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette

PS: Tell those slacking pilots and ground crew in the background tea time's over.
" What Me Worry"

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #32 on: May 26, 2012, 08:24:03 AM »
Fantastic job on the cockpit, David.  This makes the Flashback kit look kinda weak, by comparison.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline ta152c

• My threads are doing iron man numbers
« Reply #33 on: May 26, 2012, 08:39:09 AM »
Fuel tank needs made smaller, just noticed :( Easy enough job though. Wonder where I put the seat? I need to drill a hole in the radiator for the starboard gun as well, I'll check references.

Looks like it will be a ser.138 (Aviatik) D.I, not decided on colour scheme yet. I'd like to do it with the 'X' shaped Jaray propeller though. I had to remove some of the cockpit framing, but I'll replace it. Still some sanding to do. Will probably replace the cockpit coaming with insulation wire sheathing.

Thanks for the comments,

Regards :)

P.S. Gregory, the pilots and crew are still 'jet-lagged', they say.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2012, 08:45:00 AM by ta152c »
"I hope he burned all the way down" - Mannock on hearing of the death of Manfred Von Richthofen, 1918.

Offline ta152c

« Reply #34 on: June 21, 2012, 05:17:49 AM »
Hello everyone!

Been busy, but here's some updates, on with the pics. Firstly, (after spraying with Tamiya fine primer) base coat of Panzer sand yellow, then the washes begin with burnt sienna, vermillion and yellow. Little mixing palette is an end cap from reel of photographic paper in photolabs, ask, they throw them out. Washable, strong and free.

Afterwards, more glazes. Still more to go, but getting there. Looks a bit better now with some paint on, details still to add.  Anyway, left to right (all 1:48) UFAG C.I, Morane 'G', Aviatik D.I, Glencoe Oeffag D.III. I'm going for a 'wood' effect, rather than woodgrain as I don't think it is evident at 48 feet away. Others may not agree, but thats my take :)

There you go :)
« Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 08:49:02 AM by ta152c »
"I hope he burned all the way down" - Mannock on hearing of the death of Manfred Von Richthofen, 1918.

Offline GAJouette

« Reply #35 on: June 21, 2012, 06:08:47 AM »
   David,
I had wondered where you were hiding lately. At any rate excellent update my friend. The interiors all look great to date and I'm looking forward to seeing them with all the details included. Outstanding Trio .
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline Whiteknuckles

« Reply #36 on: June 21, 2012, 08:24:30 AM »
Nice production line you've got going there David ;)

Andrew
Eternal Apprentice

Offline ta152c

« Reply #37 on: June 22, 2012, 01:28:00 AM »
Update : washed with inks, some details painted.

Offline GAJouette

« Reply #38 on: June 22, 2012, 02:09:21 AM »
  David,
Excellent works my friend. Interesting seating arrangement Morane 'G' too.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline ta152c

« Reply #39 on: June 22, 2012, 04:10:52 AM »
I think the seatbelts must be attached to the seat supports, at least, thats how I see it. I think I may have to respray a mist coat of sand yellow or similar to tone the inside down, but it looks ok closed up. Still needs petrol tank and other stuff inside.

Offline Chris Johnson

« Reply #40 on: June 22, 2012, 08:17:33 AM »
I can't imagine building four kits at once. I have a hard enough time dealing with one. Kudos to you!

Cheers,

Chris
You can have it good; You can have it fast; you can have it cheap. Pick any two, but all three are impossible.

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #41 on: June 22, 2012, 09:48:41 AM »
Nice work. The fleet build approach is something I would have trouble with....I have trouble with one....

Steve

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #42 on: June 23, 2012, 02:35:27 PM »
looking good david. did those engines and stuff get to you in one piece?

Offline ta152c

« Reply #43 on: June 23, 2012, 07:47:08 PM »
Hello Scott!

Yes, they did and they're fabulous. The level of detail is stunning and I'll email you later today. Great to hear from you as well, you've probably been busier than me!

I'll go over the fuselages today with a coating of 'Klear', then I'll be able to add more detail and painting, start painting the engines and other assemblies, and close up the fuselages -once I do that I'll be quite pleased, the wings and tailplanes will be fun.

The vacs have been great fun (most of the time), although I'll be onto the injection kits after these vacs. Still got the Phonix D.I to detail as well, plus the injection SVA.5, which has just had the basic interior framework so far, as well as a rescribed cowling and louvres. I cut off the exhaust stubs and redrilled holes for brass tube exhausts, as well as chopping the lower wing from the portion that attaches under the fuselage which I then cut in half and re-attached (inverted) to fill up the gap, as well as plastic card spacers. Thats about as far as I've got.

Offline ta152c

« Reply #44 on: June 24, 2012, 05:56:49 AM »
Pic updates. Coat of 'Klear', then black wash followed by yellow wash (heavier on the fabric-sided Morane 'G'), all washes acrylics. Starting to look better, in my opinion.