Author Topic: My First WNW: the RFC Pup  (Read 13725 times)

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
Re: My First WNW: the RFC Pup
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2017, 11:36:22 AM »
 Kiwi,
I'm no expert on wood painting IMHO, but I certainly do know quality painting when I see it. Well Done my friend! You've got yourself one awesome looking wood job there. Keep up the high excellence and I'm looking forward to the next update.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Bughunter

« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2017, 08:00:28 AM »
A question: where do I run the elevator and rudder cables once they're on the stick/rudder bar? The instructions give no indication of where the other end should go, and photos available online haven't helped much. Any advice on this?
The elevator cables come out of the fuselage at the back in four pipes, the rudder below the elevator. Please see my Pup in completed Models.
Hope it helps,
Frank

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2017, 11:49:40 AM »
So I will need to run the wires the whole way down?
Zac in NZ

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2017, 02:19:32 PM »
Here's the state of play after a lovely day at the bench:
Zac in NZ

Offline Juan

• All gave some, some gave all.
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2017, 10:52:55 PM »
Very nicely done, looking forward to your progress.

Online RAGIII

« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2017, 03:13:51 AM »
I agree with Gregory and Juan, very nicely painted and your rigging on the sidewalls looks terrific!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline aliluke

« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2017, 03:50:21 PM »
Hi
With regard to those control cables from the cockpit - On my Snipe I followed the kit cable layout in the cockpit and then just terminated the wires from where they'd be out of sight. From the fuselage exit point to the control horns they are new wires. Running them all the way through is the pure answer but will be invisible. Even seeing the cockpit cables is near impossible. So unless you're a purist I'd avoid the hassle of running them through.

cheers
Alistair
It ain't a hobby if you have to hurry.

Online RAGIII

« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2017, 11:06:22 PM »
Hi
With regard to those control cables from the cockpit - On my Snipe I followed the kit cable layout in the cockpit and then just terminated the wires from where they'd be out of sight. From the fuselage exit point to the control horns they are new wires. Running them all the way through is the pure answer but will be invisible. Even seeing the cockpit cables is near impossible. So unless you're a purist I'd avoid the hassle of running them through.

cheers
Alistair

Agree completely! I did the same on my Snipe, Sopwith Tripe, and even my SE5a,(although that one required some innovative thinking)  8)
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Online lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2017, 12:25:11 AM »
Zac,
    The method I use is to add a rough "block" of styrene to serve as an easy to use anchor point for the wires after they disappear from the visible area. In this photo of my present D.VIII Build the lines were cut later to end at the block where they are anchored with CA. Works like a charm and keeps the rough work well clear of your finished cockpit. The control cables are done later with separate lines per Alistair and Rick's methods.

Cheers,
Lance

Offline 53ryder

« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2017, 11:29:23 AM »
Here's the state of play after a lovely day at the bench:

That was a very productive day in my book! Well done!

Glenn

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2017, 02:24:51 PM »
Thanks for your kind words all!

Glenn - here's another shot of the basic floor and controls as they were when I left the bench, where the forward section of the floor actually looks silver (weird discoloration on my original pic):

Zac,
    The method I use is to add a rough "block" of styrene to serve as an easy to use anchor point for the wires after they disappear from the visible area.
Thank you Lance, that's the sort of thing I was thinking of! Problem solved - as long as I can get the angle right, a I can be a stickler for detail when I feel like it!

For anyone wondering, I'm using both the WNW paint callouts and Jamo's detail photos of the TVAL repros as references for the colours and I exclusively use Tamiya paints.

I'll get the arrangements on Saturday and hopefully have a decent update to share with everyone later in the weekend. Unfortunately winter is upon us in NZ and it's a particularly cold one this year, so I'm limited to daytime hours in the weekend at The Bench as it's in our garage.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2017, 02:29:12 PM by KiwiZac »
Zac in NZ

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2017, 08:42:36 AM »
I ended up gluing the elevator and rudder cables under the floor. Fortunately my accident cutting 3/4 of the sidewall alignment tabs hasn't caused any issues:

Next step is working toward fuselage assembly.
Zac in NZ

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2017, 09:15:36 AM »
What you have achieved so far is looking superb, the colours you have used are excellent.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2017, 10:02:38 AM »
Brilliant work on the innards, Zac!  Looking forward to more.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline aliluke

« Reply #29 on: June 18, 2017, 12:21:46 PM »
Really nice work. Also looking forward to more.

Stay warm!!!

Cheers
Alistair
It ain't a hobby if you have to hurry.