Author Topic: Max Immelmann's Fokker E.I 13/15 scratch 1/144  (Read 38320 times)

Offline lone modeller

Re: Max Immelmann's Fokker E.I 13/15 scratch 1/144
« Reply #120 on: September 20, 2017, 03:37:16 AM »
How you can add push rods to an engine in this scale defeats me! I am not surprised that your hands shake after half an hour - mine would be shaking after half a minute trying to do that.

Stephen.

Offline ondra

« Reply #121 on: September 20, 2017, 03:20:01 PM »
Many thanks for your nice comments, Rick and Stephen, they are a great encouragement to me!

I found some time for the workbench last night (could not sleep) so I started working on the preshading.

First I sprayed a thin layer of strongly diluted Drooling Bulldog Umbraun along the ribs.

Afterwards I took very fine sandpaper and removed the Umbraun from the ribs ridges.

Similar procedure followed on the fuselage, first a bit of masking:

Then Umbraun again:

And masks removed:

The last step so far was a heavier coat of Umbraun to creat the base for the oil soaking:

Will see what it will look like once oversprayed with the canvas paint.

Cheers

Ondra

Offline Manni

• Der Militärmodellbauer
« Reply #122 on: September 20, 2017, 03:30:38 PM »
Great work. I tthink it will look very satisfying when it is oversprayed in thin layers.
Bye,
Manni
"Ich hab' da mal was vorbereitet.": Jean Pütz
"Warum noch mehr Bausätze?!?": meine Frau

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #123 on: September 20, 2017, 04:15:57 PM »
Great work with the oil stained look, looking forward to seeing what it looks like with the CDL painted over it all.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Online RAGIII

« Reply #124 on: September 20, 2017, 10:22:26 PM »
Terrific pre shading/soaking Ondra! Like the others I am looking forward to seeing the CDL overspray!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #125 on: September 21, 2017, 01:40:00 AM »
I just wish that I could paint like that: I do not have an airbrush.

Stephen.

Online Juan

• All gave some, some gave all.
« Reply #126 on: September 21, 2017, 02:21:21 AM »
+1,000    8)

Bughunter

« Reply #127 on: September 21, 2017, 03:38:53 AM »
Well done, Ondra!
I'm just confused by your color:
I know the pigment "umber", which is used for example in artist oils as "raw umber" or "burnt umber". The german word for it is "umbra".
On the other hand there is the german word "braun", which is the translation of "brown".
But I never heard the word "umbraun", which seems to be a mix of both. :-\ Creative paint manufacturer?

Cheers,
Frank

Offline dr 1 ace

« Reply #128 on: September 21, 2017, 04:16:40 AM »
in 1/144--amazing !!!

Ed
Life is short, enjoy it, nobody gets out alive.

Offline ondra

« Reply #129 on: September 21, 2017, 04:10:28 PM »
Many thanks to all of you for looking in and leaving such nice comments, Manni, Des, Rick, Stephen, Juan, Frank and Ed!

@Stephen: I was unsure about airbrushing too, but then my mentor convinced me to give it a try and I have never regreted a single cent spent on the equipment. This, however, is given by the fact that I am no good with brush - unlike you as is visible on each of your builds.

@Frank: good question, I actually never gave a proper thought to this name. I have been working with the Drooling Bulldog paints for quite some time now, so I just got used to their names. :) I will ask Sergey, the author of Drooling Bulldog, on the next occasion what the story is behind the name.

I was also eager to see what the preshading would look like, so I continued with painting last night. Result - well, lesson learned. :)

The contrast of the soaking was too little, whereas the contrast of the tube construction was too much - as I have learned from the photo of the original (placed in WNW instructions), the fuselage was obviously not CDL, as there is almost no translucency.

So I decided to do something between preshading and postshading - maybe "intershading"? :) - and emphasized the soaking a bit. Afterwards, I sprayed another thin layer of paint. The translucency almost disappeared, but is still there. I am still not sure whether the shade is correct, looks a bit too dark to me, so I might to rework the fuselage paintwork completely. Will see once the paint has cured completely, i. e. this evening.

The shade I took for the wings did not look correct either, unfortunately, it was too yellowish for my taste.

So I gave it a shot of Drooling Bulldog Grauesgrün without lightening and it looks a tad better.

This is where I stand now with wings dry fitted. The metal panels on the wings will need a slight touch up, should not be a big deal, however.

Cheers

Ondra

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #130 on: September 21, 2017, 10:29:24 PM »
Ondra,
    I am in awe of your patience and talent; pre-shading, post shading, and now "inter-shading" with an airbrush on a subject smaller then a grass hopper is impressive work, having it work is sheer magic! It's always a pleasure to follow your Builds and this one is no exception, great work!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline ondra

« Reply #131 on: September 22, 2017, 12:56:56 AM »
Many thanks for your nice comment, Lance!

@Frank's question to Umbraun - here a link to Wikipedia (only in German, unfortunately), Umbraun is an old german expression for umber. ;) Just talked to Sergey.

Cheers
Ondra

Offline Jeff K

« Reply #132 on: September 22, 2017, 02:20:43 AM »
looking over the build so far i'm thinking "this is clearly impossible. yet it appears to be happening."

photoshop, right? 'cause no one can do that in 1/144.

Bughunter

« Reply #133 on: September 22, 2017, 04:06:09 AM »
Ondra, thank you for answering my german question, never heard that old word before!
Those colors seems to be good, you have reached (again!) fantastic results.

Cheers,
Frank

Offline ondra

« Reply #134 on: September 22, 2017, 02:29:28 PM »
Many thanks for your generous comments, Jeff and Frank.

@Frank: the paints are not good, they are excellent! I do not want to repeat myself, as I have mentioned it before already, but these paints are the best stuff I have ever worked with. It is like spraying ink and, importantly for me, they are idiotproof (meaning very forgiving even when you make a mistake).

looking over the build so far i'm thinking "this is clearly impossible. yet it appears to be happening."

photoshop, right? 'cause no one can do that in 1/144.

Ok, Jeff, you caught me, Ondra is a fake name, actually I am no one. :)