Author Topic: Max Immelmann's Fokker E.I 13/15 scratch 1/144  (Read 38164 times)

Offline ondra

Max Immelmann's Fokker E.I 13/15 scratch 1/144
« on: May 17, 2017, 04:49:32 PM »
Hi folks,

I came to the conclusion that it is about time to start preparing for the next build - Immelmann's Eindecker E.I 13/15.

Yesterday I started drawing the plans for later use and would like to ask you for help - I took the Windsock datafile as a source, which says the length of E.I was 7,2 meters and the wingspan 10,05 meters. However, when I redrew the plans from the very same Windsock, the ratio between the span and length does not match. When I recalculate the wingspan from the Windsock drawing I get 9,2 meters.

Moreover, different sources refer to different span (8,85 meters).

Could you guys please advise me, where to find correct measurements and maybe even a reliable drawing?

Attached what I have drawn so far (short wing with 11 ribs).

Cheers

Ondra

Offline Wolf

• The challenge is in the scale
Re: Max Immelmann's Fokker E.I 13/15 scratch 1/144
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2017, 12:51:38 AM »
Ok, I take a seat in the first row. Need some popcorn too.  :)
A model thrives on its overall impression and not on that every little disagreement over the original is hyped up as a disaster

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2017, 01:26:26 AM »
As always I am looking forward to your build! As for drawings I think the Windsock Fokker Compendium might be the best choice. ( I do not have these publications so this is only a guess) I have some older drawings of EIIIs I think but won't help with your subject.
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2017, 12:01:10 PM »
Beverage at the ready. This will be great!
Zac in NZ

Offline ondra

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2017, 05:47:56 PM »
Many thanks for your support, Wolf, Rick and KiwiZac!

I am afraid the beginning will be rather a boring story, as I am just redrawing the plans. ;)

A good friend of mine sent me this table of Eindecker technical data, so I am posting it here, perhaps someone will find it useful in the future.

For my build I will use the wingspan (Spannweite) and length (Länge) stated for the M5K MG.

Cheers

Ondra

Offline steveb

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2017, 01:05:59 PM »
Always watching your work with interest. What program are you using to do the drawings?

Steve

Offline ondra

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2017, 02:08:46 PM »
I use Inkscape, it is free and also available in portable version, so it can travel along with me on my SSD.

Offline ondra

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2017, 12:59:51 AM »
Looks like I should be able to complete all the drawing soon, so it is time to bring the S.E.5a to the finish and start cutting some styrene and brass for the Eindecker. :)

Here the drawing of the interior, hopefully it will be helpful while scratchbuilding it. In any case, it is a good tool to study the reference (when you have to draw it, you have to pay more attention to the particular elements).

Cheers

Ondra

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2017, 03:01:17 AM »
I too will be watching this with great interest. BTW should this be under the scratch building section?

Stephen.

Offline ondra

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2017, 04:08:29 AM »
Thanks, Stephen, glad to have you on board.

Fair point, so far I have posted all of my builds in "Under construction", but this is rather historically given. This build could fit into the scratch building section too, however. Is there any strict rule for that or is it up to the choice of the builder?

Cheers

Ondra

Offline steveb

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2017, 12:05:56 PM »
I use Inkscape, it is free and also available in portable version, so it can travel along with me on my SSD.

Thanks!

Steve

Offline ondra

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2017, 02:44:26 PM »
Not much to report so far, as I have been just playing around with the drawings to get the preparation stage right.

One of the obstacles on the Eindecker will be the Oberursel engine. Currently I am experimenting with methods to replicate the cylinders, so here is what I am trying now.

I took a plastic rod (0,7 mm) and two pieces of copper wire. I glued both wires on the rod next to each other on one end and then wrinched them around the rod.

The result looked like this:

IMG_1789 by Ondřej Mokrý, on Flickr

Afterwards, I removed one of the wires (which served as a "spacer" during the wrinching) and got this:

IMG_1791 by Ondřej Mokrý, on Flickr

The remaining wire was fixed with ultrathin CA, afterwards I would like to cut the rod in pieces 1,5 mm long (using Umlaufmotor's great tool) and glue them on the crankcase. Will see how it works.

Any comments, suggestions and criticism are welcome!

Cheers

Ondra

Offline Juan

• All gave some, some gave all.
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2017, 09:17:32 PM »
Magnificent start on that engine (my eyes hurt at this scale), looking forward to your progress.

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2017, 03:00:06 AM »
That seems to be an excellent idea to me. How do you intend to mark off the crankcase so that you get the correct angle for each of the cylinders? I think that the rod when painted will look convincingly like cylinders - in fact using slightly thicker rod and wire I would consider using this method in the True Scale.

Keep up the excellent work.

Stephen.

Offline ondra

« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2017, 02:27:47 PM »
Many thanks, Juans and Stephen!

How do you intend to mark off the crankcase so that you get the correct angle for each of the cylinders?

I am a very lazy person, actually, so I use a simple method. :) I make a table in Excel containing number one 7 times and then I make a graph of it. :)

Like this:

Výstřižek by Ondřej Mokrý, on Flickr

Afterwards I glue the crankcase in the midle (with masking fluid, just to hold it in position) and the borders between the graph fields turn into a good guideline for the cylinders angles.

Cheers

Ondra