Author Topic: 1/32 Morane Saulnier L - scratching an itch  (Read 33634 times)

Offline ALBATROS1234

Re: 1/32 Morane Saulnier L - scratching an itch
« Reply #60 on: April 19, 2017, 02:46:49 AM »
looking at you nice build again i was noticing the landing gear. doesnt the type L have the 3 rods system like the other moranes. in other words the center rod was the axle and was sort of free floating on bungees and the forwar and rear rods were solidly attached to the landing gear center and outer "v" type legs. i will have to check my datafile but i am pretty sure all the early moranes were like this.

Offline RLWP

• Bodger
« Reply #61 on: April 19, 2017, 04:11:06 AM »
looking at you nice build again i was noticing the landing gear. doesnt the type L have the 3 rods system like the other moranes. in other words the center rod was the axle and was sort of free floating on bungees and the forwar and rear rods were solidly attached to the landing gear center and outer "v" type legs. i will have to check my datafile but i am pretty sure all the early moranes were like this.

Not from my interpretation of pictures, no it doesn't. I know the drawing in the Datafile shows it that way. The early short nosed Parasols may have been like that

Richard

Hendon for flying - the fastest way to the ground!

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #62 on: April 19, 2017, 05:17:38 AM »
as well as the plans look at the photos in the datafile under morane L in detail the close up of the fuselage without fabric cover and you can easily see there "is" the standard morane type gear.also at least 4 or 5 other datafile pics if you look close show it to be true. although most pics you cannot for sure see. also there are also at least 2 landing gear config for type L. one is like yours and one kicks forward.  the standard morane 3 rod, shock absorber system is as well  portrayed that way in eduards 1/48 and az models 1/72. its up to you though its your model i just didnt know if you had seen that this is how they were made so i mentioned it as if i had perhaps missed something i would hope someone would mention it to me. i doubt if it will be a big deal either way.

Offline RLWP

• Bodger
« Reply #63 on: April 19, 2017, 05:23:39 AM »
Try the picture on the bottom of page 11. It shows the axle at the front and the bungees. It also shows the retaining rod and it's bracket, very much like the ski 'plane in the centre of page 12

I don't doubt that the kits are like that - bet they were made from the drawing in the datafile

Richard

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #64 on: April 19, 2017, 05:44:00 AM »
the ones you site with the skis, perhaps it was different when using skis. although the pic at the bottom of page 12 with the skis looks like you can see another rod peeking out from behind. most of the pics are not clear whats happening due to the angle and crudeness of the pics. to me page 16 says it all ,its the only truly clear picture of the gear ,some a handful suggest there is multiple rods but most are to far away and too unclear to tell. hey like i said its your model do it how you want. maybe some had one axle.

Offline RLWP

• Bodger
« Reply #65 on: April 19, 2017, 06:14:58 AM »
On that picture on page 16 - can you make sense of the firewall? It appears to extend right across to the outside of the cowl and have a lower part. I cannot reconcile that with pictures showing a clear gap  to allow hot gasses out of the cowl.

I'm choosing to interpret the landing gear as I have modelled it. I can't tell if there are two or three bars in my copy.  If there are two, the rear is to brace the legs, the front is the axle and is restrained in the same way as the ski example. If there are three, I can't make out the slot in the drawings, and I can't explain the structure added to the front of the legs

There is so little information on these early aeroplanes

Richard

Offline RLWP

• Bodger
« Reply #66 on: April 19, 2017, 06:34:42 PM »
I can't help feeling I have been told I'm 'doing this wrong' because my interpretation of the information available to me doesn't match the Ian Stair drawing. I've decided to say this rather than just give up on this model, otherwise I'll never get it finished

That might sound a bit blunt, however I currently have a huge pile of abandoned models and I would really like to get this one complete. Yes, maybe the undercarriage isn't 'right', I'm going to stick with it.

Apologies for being forthright, I have tried to say this carefully

Richard

Offline Juan

• All gave some, some gave all.
« Reply #67 on: April 19, 2017, 08:46:43 PM »
Hi Richard, I for one am enjoying your build immensely and hope you continue, after all, its your model.

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #68 on: April 19, 2017, 09:16:24 PM »
I didnt mean to cause any grief. I have been heavily into these old bird for the last decade plus only so i dont claim to be an expert. I mentioned it as its been the way i have understood it to be for some time but that doeant mean im necessarily right. What i see is at best an educated opinion but there may have been different ways so build what you want .

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #69 on: April 20, 2017, 04:37:39 AM »
Whatever the state of the undercarriage legs I think that you are making an exceptionally good model. Thanks too for explaining that scratch building does not take an infinite amount of skill - if it did I would not be a scratch builder!!

Stephen.

Offline RLWP

• Bodger
« Reply #70 on: April 20, 2017, 05:14:12 AM »
I didnt mean to cause any grief. I have been heavily into these old bird for the last decade plus only so i dont claim to be an expert. I mentioned it as its been the way i have understood it to be for some time but that doeant mean im necessarily right. What i see is at best an educated opinion but there may have been different ways so build what you want .

I have also been fascinated by them for a long time, and have wondered about many of the details. I think I have interpreted the legs correctly based on what makes sense, supported by what is on the ski 'planes.

If you use the two tubes as shown, one coming straight down and one sloping from the back, you automatically get one of the faces of the slot for the axle. then you need something to stop it flopping out the front, that explains the round topped bracket with a bar down the front. If you extend the sloping member forward, you get somewhere to anchor the bungees. In my opinion that makes a very simple and strong structure, especially when the legs and the centre vee (for the rigging wires) are tied together with a simple bar.

Putting in a slot between the legs makes sense on the early aeroplanes with the sloping leading leg, on the later ones, it just complicates things and doesn't explain that front bracket

As you say, in the absence of some contemporary information, its all about interpretation. And my interpretation happens to differ from Ian Stair's for the reasons above. I wouldn't like to say mine is right, or that Ian's is wrong for that matter.

Thanks for replying, I appreciate it. And apologies for getting in a bit of a snit over it - anyone interested in these peculiar old birds must have an appreciation of the finer things in life. There are clearly at least two of us!

Richard

Offline Bluesfan

• MW Miniature Work
« Reply #71 on: April 20, 2017, 11:12:55 PM »
About the firewall in the picture on page 16;
I feel I should be very cautious in offering any interpretation of the ancient pictures in the Datafile(!), but, here goes:
Seems to me the angle doesn't quite show enough ie. it isn't obvious to me that the firewall does go all the way across, because the bare metal edge of the cowl obscures where the gap is/would be - ?

Still following your build with fascination!
Cheers, Mark

Offline RLWP

• Bodger
« Reply #72 on: April 20, 2017, 11:20:07 PM »
About the firewall in the picture on page 16;
I feel I should be very cautious in offering any interpretation of the ancient pictures in the Datafile(!), but, here goes:
Seems to me the angle doesn't quite show enough ie. it isn't obvious to me that the firewall does go all the way across, because the bare metal edge of the cowl obscures where the gap is/would be - ?

Still following your build with fascination!
Cheers, Mark

Weird, isn't it. The firewall seems to go outside of the wooden framework

Richard

Offline RLWP

• Bodger
« Reply #73 on: April 21, 2017, 06:01:29 AM »
A bit of impressionism:

Spark transmitter in the middle, aerial reel on the right and a completely fictitious battery box on the left

Richard

Offline igi70

« Reply #74 on: April 21, 2017, 07:08:44 AM »
perfect :)