Author Topic: WingnutWings Fokker D.VII (Alb) Robert Greim, Jasta 34b  (Read 32744 times)

Offline GazzaS

Re: WingnutWings Fokker D.VII (Alb) Robert Greim, Jasta 34b
« Reply #75 on: March 26, 2018, 06:47:36 PM »
Nice job with the 'fabric'.

Gaz
There are only two states to be in:  Queensland and blotto.

Offline ondra

« Reply #76 on: March 26, 2018, 06:52:34 PM »
Brilliant, Jeroen, great job!

Cheers

Ondra

Offline jeroen_R90S

« Reply #77 on: March 28, 2018, 06:00:37 PM »
Thanks for looking in and commenting, Andreas, RAGIII, Gaz and Ondra! :)

I'm a bit further along now. The fuselage, which I thought would be the most complicated due to masking and painting the bands and wanting to tint the lozenge brown afterwards is actually coming along quite nicely I think, as this little dryfit with cowl panels and front radiator part shows:

(the nose panels are only in their basic paint coat so far and the white round access hatch needs a bit more trimming)
The lozenge wil be tinted more brown and I still need to think about weathering the whole thing to tie it more together, the contrast between the dark nose and lozenge and the bright red and white is a bit too strong for my taste :)

I gave the radiator a few dark washes earlier on and now glosscoated it again (together with the wings) and as I had the oil paints out anyway for weathering the lower wing similar to the lower fuselage under the lozenge I weatherd the radiator a bit to look like some pictures in the WNW instructions. As a final touch I'll add some gloss paints to some of the stains to make them look fresh.

It looks a bit stronger in the pictures than in real life due to the lighting -quite hard to photograph the effect.

Then there's the wings which I kind of underestimated I guess. After the complicated fuselage masking, decals, trimming, weathering, etc etc I though the wings would be somewhat easier, but I guess I took it a bit too easy. I trimmed the decals as per RB's advice, but somehow my glosscoat wasn't quite smooth enough and positioning the decals proved really tough. They're a bit misaligned on the front (blue rib tape) and especially the center part (which I did first) shows signs of silvering. I polished more for the rest so these are quite OK. I also had a few bubbles and wrinkles near the rib tapes.
On the other hand, learning this is best done by doing and making mistakes, so when I got to the wing tips I think I got the hang of it:

The silvering and bubbles are impossible to photograph, I'm hoping a satin coat (instead of the planned flat) will mask that a bit... The alternative is buying another sheet of wing lozenge and stripping it all off  :-\ On a more positive note, now that I know what went wrong, the upper bit as well as the entire lower wing will probably go a lot better! :)

Jeroen

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #78 on: March 28, 2018, 11:44:31 PM »
Your Lozenge on the fuselage looks great! I can't see the issues on the wing but I am sure it isn't as bad as you think. We are our own worst critics!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline GazzaS

« Reply #79 on: March 29, 2018, 06:48:59 PM »
I think your decals look great.  Obviously we can't see the faults you see...  but you can, so that's what matters.

Gaz

Offline Borsos

« Reply #80 on: March 29, 2018, 10:59:28 PM »
I agree with Gaz, for my eyes these are wonderful wings that look great with these AVIATTIC decals. But if you shouldn’t be happy with it, because you see some silvering,  redo the whole thing. Covering up with clear coats won’t fix it (bet why I know that...). You need to paint the surface really glossy before applying the decals, then slivering won’t be an issue.
Best wishes
Andreas
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #81 on: March 30, 2018, 12:09:53 AM »
Jeroen,
   Borsos' comments referencing the importance of a high gloss finish match my experiences with the Aviattic products; I've had good success adding a few coats of Future to the gloss white finish to ensure a really glossy finish to work on. I also use a setting solution (Microset) brushed on before applying the decal to help it "lay down" to the surface however that can soften the decal somewhat and cause it to stretch if you fiddle with it too much. Last, I find that cutting the decal to smaller pieces makes it much easier to work with and smooth out before it starts to dry.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline jeroen_R90S

« Reply #82 on: March 31, 2018, 04:03:48 AM »
Thanks for the comments, encouragement and advice! Really appreciated :)

I've been using a needle to burst most of the little bubbles and found Mr Mark decal solvent to work quite well on the Aviattic decals. The silvered areas can't really be helped, but getting rid of the most obvious bubbles persuaded me to chalk it up as a valuable learning moment, leave what's done as-is, and stop decalling until the glosscoat would be better for the remaining surfaces. I'm probably spraying it on too thin, as I don't want to lose the details...

So I (quite litteraly) blasted the lower wings (easy to strip and repaint anyway) with a thicker coat of X-22 and after 2 coats they are much, much shinier than the upper side of the upper wing. So I shot that too. I think that will do the trick, as on the fuselage (though smaller patches) are flawless, as are the latest patches on the lower side of the upper wing are quite nice too, as I polished the paint more after the center part showed silvering.

The remaining wing surfaces are very shiny now and will (probably) yield better results. (cutting them into more managable chunks as Lance suggested might help, too)

When it's all properly dry I'll share the results! :)

Thanks again,
Jeroen

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
« Reply #83 on: March 31, 2018, 04:10:13 AM »
 Jeroen,
Awesome work my old friend!
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline gbrivio

« Reply #84 on: March 31, 2018, 05:49:30 AM »
Splendid build so far, in every detail.
Ciao
Giuseppe

Offline jeroen_R90S

« Reply #85 on: April 02, 2018, 10:27:27 PM »
Thanks for looking in! :)

@RB: I've just given it a try, it's de-wrinkling now...... fingers crossed now, so that I don't touch the part anymore!

Jeroen

Offline jeroen_R90S

« Reply #86 on: April 03, 2018, 05:59:52 PM »
Top-tips, guys! :) I tried Justin's tip with the Sol yesterday and some area's tidied up, others less so. At least it got rid of all thel little bubbles and such and most of the silvered areas. Still not as neat as I'd like, but as I wrote, I chalk it up as a learning experience, which has been very useful with the hints and tips I got.
So I went on with the lower sides of the lower wings, and the big center piece on the top wing -the most visible part!

This is what I did:
1) add more gloss so the wings really shine, polish with 3000 grit as needed
2) dab Daco medium decal solvent (equivalent to micro sol) on the rib tapes before applying the decal
3) soak decal in handwarm water
4) apply, and as the surface is now glossy and has the solvent underneath, the decal can be (gently) placed more accurately and even stretched a bit to allow the rib tapes to match.
5) press down with old T-shirt or something in a rolling motion, have to be very careful not to stretch the decal!

Mostly dry, and looking great already.... don't dare touch it yet, so pictures to follow, but I'm happy so far :)

Jeroen

Offline jeroen_R90S

« Reply #87 on: April 04, 2018, 04:51:59 AM »

I'll promise I'll stop posting more boring Lozenge decal pictures from now! :)

Happy,

Jeroen

Offline Juan

• All gave some, some gave all.
« Reply #88 on: April 04, 2018, 05:24:00 AM »
Hi Jeroen, please post as many lozenge pictures as you want, they are simply gorgeous....   ;D

Offline GazzaS

« Reply #89 on: April 04, 2018, 04:14:17 PM »
I like lozenge pictures too! 

Very nice!

Gaz