Author Topic: WingnutWings Fokker D.VII (Alb) Robert Greim, Jasta 34b  (Read 32604 times)

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
Re: WingnutWings Fokker D.VII (Alb) Robert Greim, Jasta 34b
« Reply #105 on: October 17, 2018, 09:13:25 PM »
I think you've hit the mark

Steve

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #106 on: October 17, 2018, 11:26:16 PM »
Nicely done work on the overcoat!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Juan

• All gave some, some gave all.
« Reply #107 on: October 17, 2018, 11:38:53 PM »
Beautifully done with the overcoat (and the rest)

Offline aliluke

« Reply #108 on: October 18, 2018, 02:29:38 PM »
Echoing all of the above. I used browned varnish on my Fokker DVII and LVG but I think you got the colour better than I did.

That is a great looking Fokker you're making there!

Cheers
Alistair
It ain't a hobby if you have to hurry.

Offline jeroen_R90S

« Reply #109 on: October 25, 2018, 05:12:40 AM »
Thanks for the kind words, Gaz, Steve, RAGIII, and Juan! I'm quite happy with the outcome too, have gotten used to what I thought was bit too much on the fuselage and comparing to some pictures, I could have gone way farther, and I'm quite happy as well :)
(as an example of too-much, the photo's of Hermann Pritsch "Bowke" show almost no lozenge at all on the fuselage)

I have not posted a lot, but have been working quietly on the model, I managed to apply all the decals, including the little stencils, except for the propeller, as the oils weren't dry enough for an acrylic glosscoat. I didn't use the "borderless" crosses on the fuselage from the decal set, but the ones for "Nickchen IV" with the white border, if you zoom in on the picture of Greim standing near the tail you can see a slight difference between that and the white of the rear fuselage. As I painted the red bands I cut the texts free of them and applied only those -after I was all done I found a spelling error on the weight table; Nutzlast is spelled Nutzlas. I corrected that with the extra weight table provided in te base kit.

I also went with the normal square crosses instead of the uneven-arm types suggested by WnW, as all pictures of 8## series Albatros D.VIIs seem to have had the normal square crosses. Whether they were converted or not remains unclear of course, as is the difference between the tail cross and fuselage cross, but given how much rudders were swapped...? Anyway, that's my guess :)
I just finished glosscoating all the decals to seal them an prepare for weathering, so pictures will come later this week hopefully.

Jeroen

Offline jeroen_R90S

« Reply #110 on: November 03, 2018, 05:59:22 AM »
A bit later as promised, but as an added bonus it's got some oil weathering on it in subsequent layers.
First of all the spelling error:

After a first round with some oil paints, a bit of a dryfit to see where it stands and comes together. I wasn't entirely happy, up close the effects were visible, but they disappeard quickly when viewed from a little bit further away. I also learned to put on effects a bit stronger than intended, as subsequent gloss and flat coats tend to mute the effect:

So I went a few steps further, especially on the decals that somehow ended up less weathered than the rest, and the front fuselage near the fuel and oil tank got some extra weathering:

It's not 100% dry here and I picked the angles to make it show up a bit better, so it looks starker than in real life.
I honestly have no idea how I got to this result, as I did it in a few layers with differnet techniques, the only thing I wrote down were the oil paints in various quantities, dots, thinned and unthinned mixes, as well as random mixes that I thought looked good:
-titanium white
-payne's grey (an almost black dark grey)
-olive green
-raw umber

Jeroen
« Last Edit: November 03, 2018, 06:03:46 AM by jeroen_R90S »

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #111 on: November 03, 2018, 09:02:46 AM »
That is Damn Nice! I was not entirely convinced about the overspray until the weathering was applied. I am totally ON Board Now!!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline rhwinter

« Reply #112 on: November 03, 2018, 05:47:09 PM »
That's great, Jeroen!!

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #113 on: November 03, 2018, 11:57:00 PM »
    That looks very impressive Jeroen. The effect mirrors the popular photos of the survivor from the "Canadian Fokkers" batch on display at Knowlton Quebec. Lovely work!

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/battle-over-future-of-fokker-d-vii-divides-knowlton-que-1.938675
Cheers,
Lance

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #114 on: November 04, 2018, 08:40:51 AM »
I do not know how I have issed this.... However I have just spent a happy period reading through this thread and am blown away by what you are doing. Sir you are clearly an artist of the first calibre I just wish that I had some of your skills.

The colours and finish on this model are first class in every way. This will be a winner when finished, of that I have no doubt. Many congratulations on such a fine build. In future I intend to stay more closely in touch.

Stephen

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #115 on: November 06, 2018, 04:11:51 AM »
Great results that look like the finish in period photos!!

Steve

Offline Manni

• Der Militärmodellbauer
« Reply #116 on: November 06, 2018, 05:27:28 PM »
Very nice results, Jeroen. The weathering looks great. I use the same technique using oils and I don't know exactly how to do it, but suddenly it looks good, too.
Bye,
Manni
"Ich hab' da mal was vorbereitet.": Jean Pütz
"Warum noch mehr Bausätze?!?": meine Frau

Offline Borsos

« Reply #117 on: November 07, 2018, 07:12:54 AM »
Looking fine, that toning down of the Tarnstoff. Very goid idea!
Andreas
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline aliluke

« Reply #118 on: November 10, 2018, 04:41:59 PM »
That is very good - we need a weathering advice team here. It is the hardest part of model making for me - getting the balance right. You're there!

Cheers
Alistair
It ain't a hobby if you have to hurry.

Offline KevTheModeller

« Reply #119 on: December 01, 2018, 09:06:41 PM »
Hi Jeroen

Same lovely work here, the weathering of the lozenge is really nice. 
Kev