Author Topic: WingnutWings Fokker D.VII (Alb) Robert Greim, Jasta 34b  (Read 32603 times)

Offline eindecker

• The penultimate word in scale modeling since 1956
    • Models In Scale
Re: WingnutWings Fokker D.VII (Alb) Robert Greim, Jasta 34b
« Reply #45 on: December 23, 2017, 02:31:36 PM »
Funny, I had no issues with the interior fitting into the fuselage. No scraping necessary although I did take care to ensure everything fit as I net along.
Michael Scott
Author of "The Q Fragments" http://Http://theqfragments.com & Amazon for paperback and Kindle.

Offline jeroen_R90S

« Reply #46 on: December 24, 2017, 12:47:19 AM »
RAGIII and Alistair, thanks for having a look and commenting! :) As much as I like to do little things like this, I'm now at the point where I'm starting to lose interest so I'm getting it ready for assembly. :) When I started this model I thought I'd do this one out of the box as it looked so good, and here I am, again, adding this-and-whatnot. I just can't seem to leave kits alone... :)

Funny, I had no issues with the interior fitting into the fuselage. No scraping necessary although I did take care to ensure everything fit as I net along.

Thanks for looking in -me neither (so far) -the only scraping I had to do was remove some paint and varnish on a mounting point here and there, if only to allow it to be built with normal cement instead of CA. CA and I aren't friends. I guess dryfitting and taking care everything closes is a result of building 1/72 Roden kits... :)

I just finished the varnishing steps, so when fullly cured I can start to glue some stuff together.

Jeroen

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #47 on: December 24, 2017, 04:24:46 AM »
Iam having a problem writing this as my mind has just been blown away by the detail and painting in your log!

Stephen.

Offline jeroen_R90S

« Reply #48 on: December 24, 2017, 09:19:43 PM »
Thank you for the kind words, Stephen! :)

Offline jeroen_R90S

« Reply #49 on: January 16, 2018, 07:09:21 AM »
Spent a few evenings carefully aligning and assembling the interiour... I used the forward cowl parts to make sure everything was square and straight and other than some paint scraping to be able to use normal liquid cement to assemble it all, it actually went quite smoothly. The only fiddly parts were the ammo boxes, I had to remove not only some paint, but also a bit of plastic from the mountings on the fuselage frames to make them fit without pressure. I continually put it into the fuselage halves to make sure it all would still fit as more parts were added. One little goof was that I put the decal for the optional corner mounted altimeter upside down and also mounted the instrument upside down -but then the upper deck won't fit anymore, so I left it off, replaced by the standard corner brackets.
Flimsy as the frames are, once assembled it's quite sturdy! After that the engine bay was assembled by first glueing in the engine bearers themselves, then adding the lower supports when dry.
Again, other than cleaning the mating surfaces, it all fit quite well -of not a bit fiddly due to the thin framing! After it had all dried I tried dryiftting the forward cabane struts -a perfect fit, hurray! :) During assembly of the engine bay I again used the lower cowl parts as alignment help.
]

Then it was time to thread the aileron control wires though the fuselage (I hope that'll work out....!) and glue the lower elevator control lines to the rod. When I was still satisfied I secured the interiour to one fuselage half, making sure it was all the way back, and using liquid cement, closed the fuselage.

As of this evening the lower side is also officially glued shut and drying -starting to look like something now!

Jeroen
« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 07:20:16 AM by jeroen_R90S »

Online RAGIII

« Reply #50 on: January 16, 2018, 09:01:01 AM »
Excellent progress and looking terrific. I am picking up some great pointers for alignment even though I have built 3 of these!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline mgunns

« Reply #51 on: January 16, 2018, 02:39:04 PM »
It's coming along nicely.  The magazines are nicely executed with the belt and rounds clearly defined.  Your work is clean and tidy, I hope your elevator control lines come out alright for you.  Looking forward to the next update.
Mark

We few, we happy few.....

Offline Manni

• Der Militärmodellbauer
« Reply #52 on: January 16, 2018, 04:20:17 PM »
Hey, Jeroen! Great work, will be the next stunner made by you.
Bye,
Manni
"Ich hab' da mal was vorbereitet.": Jean Pütz
"Warum noch mehr Bausätze?!?": meine Frau

Offline dr 1 ace

« Reply #53 on: January 18, 2018, 02:43:13 AM »
Excellent work as it continues !!

Ed
Life is short, enjoy it, nobody gets out alive.

Offline jeroen_R90S

« Reply #54 on: January 22, 2018, 02:16:22 AM »
Thanks for looking in, RAGIII, Mark, Manni and Ed! :)

So.... after the rear fuselage had properly dried, I (again) tried to fit the wings -still good to go! :)
I also thought about painting the next batch of parts; and went for what worked with my 1/72 D.VII -assemble the axle wing completely and paint it afterwards. The rigging holes are still accessble, and it's less chance of paint mismatch or glue stains.
So I put the struts in their holes and added a dab of Extra Thin Cement, then put the model upside down and let it dry overnight.

Then I thought about another thing that had been bugging me a bit... The lower chin panel is slightly wider than the radiator that sits atop it, as the upper cowls will need to fit in between. Since I'll leave them off, I was left with a gap, which kind off bugged my autistic part... In the end it proved a simple fix, though you can't just file the entire chin panel narrower. I simply put a strip of tape from front to rear so they would be slightly tapered. If you file the whole thing smaller you'll end up with a step at the rear.
I didn't dare file all the way, as the plastic is already precariously thin there now:
You can't really see the difference as I forgot to take a "before" picture...

With that sorted out it was time to put all the parts on sticks and tape, mask off the radiator and prepare to paint quite a bit of parts. However, I was still a bit undecided on the green I'd use for the forward cowling panels... I tried the recommended Humbrol 30, but did not like the look. I liked the contrast as Ronny Bar did on his profile of Richard Kraut's D.VII.
So I took some greens from my stash I liked: Lifecolor UA001 (FS34079); UA002 (FS34102), both of which are actually supposed to be for the Vietnam-era USAF camouflage; Revell 39 (supposed to be WWII RLM71), Lifecolour UA520 (RAF WWII Green) and Lifecolour UA502 (RLM71 WWII).
I put some grey Vallejo acrylic primer by brush in the tabs of some of the kits sprues, then brushpainted all these colours on them over that.
A hairdryer quickly dried them and this is what I got:

As you can see quite some difference (though the picture is pretty poor, the differences are really there in real life); especially both RLM71s.
I didn't like either and eventually went for Lifecolour UA001 FS34079 -which I just noticed WNW indicates in their latest issue Fokker D.VII Early. (the older kits seem to be missing FS numbers)

A lot of masking and painting later while my wife was away with the kids:

All paints Revell Aqua; grey-green (barely shows in the picture, I got a new phone and the camera is worse than the old one) with Revell 59 Sky Green (actually a WWII RAF colour) with a drop of 57 Grey added; engine parts Anthracite Black and Aluminium (both Aqua Acrylic as well), cowl panels the aforementioned Lifecolour UA001.

All is hardening out now, hopefully some time this week for the glosscoat and tidying up the fuselage in preparation for painting that, too.

Jeroen

Online RAGIII

« Reply #55 on: January 22, 2018, 05:04:59 AM »
Everything is coming together very well! I like your color choices! One word of Caution here: Be very careful when trying to attach the wheels to the undercarriage assembly. The horseshoe shaped bit of plastic that secures the wheels is a very tight fit. I broke a gear strut on my first DVII and learned to install the wheels before the struts. Your radiator width correction worked as I can not tell what you did  :D
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline jeroen_R90S

« Reply #56 on: February 05, 2018, 01:54:02 AM »
Thanks, RAGIII :)
I'll watch out for the wheel assembly, better to know such things in advance! :)
As for the "gap", it's a bit hard to write, as it's a bit wet at the moment.... If you put the radiator part on top of the chin cowl part, the radiator part is narrower. So when you put the forward side panels on them, there is a gap where the side panel does not touch the radiator. What I did was, when looking from the top, thin the side lips from the outside, so that they are (as near as I dared) the same width as the radiator and the gap is virtually gone. When't is dry I'll try to take a picture from the top that shows it far easier! :)

I also built up the new 180hp engine, the built-up 200hp one will go to another kit that I stole the engine sprue from. Basic assembly done, painted and glosscoated with the same improvements as the other one. Wound copper valve springs, scratch-built throttle linkage on the carburettor and air lines running from the air pump. When the decals are properly set I'll glosscoat it again and add the remaining parts and weather it like the other one. (the intake manifold is just a dryfit)

I also glossed the cowl parts inside and outside so I could give the radiator a dark grey/brown wash with oil paints. Might have to do that one or two more times to give more depth yet.
To ease masking I also glued the upper deck in place, quite  good fit actually.

With all the handling I also managed to break off one of the lips for the support brackets... :-\

Thanks for looking, comments and critique welcome as always :)

Jeroen

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #57 on: February 05, 2018, 02:13:10 AM »
Jeroen,
    Your detail work is truly impressive, this is really starting to shine as it comes together. It's already an eye catcher, I'm looking forward to seeing the final results. Keep at it, you've got a real winner here!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline jeroen_R90S

« Reply #58 on: February 05, 2018, 06:28:39 AM »
Thanks, Lance! I'm my own worst critic (aren't most of us...) but despite a little thing here and there I'm actually quite happy with it so far! :) Hopefully the good karma will stay with this build!

Jeroen

Offline dr 1 ace

« Reply #59 on: February 05, 2018, 06:54:47 AM »
Jeroen,
    Your detail work is truly impressive, this is really starting to shine as it comes together. It's already an eye catcher, I'm looking forward to seeing the final results. Keep at it, you've got a real winner here!
Cheers,
Lance

Ditto !!

Ed
Life is short, enjoy it, nobody gets out alive.