Author Topic: WingnutWings Fokker D.VII (Alb) Robert Greim, Jasta 34b  (Read 32685 times)

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
Re: WingnutWings Fokker D.VII (Alb) Robert Greim, Jasta 34b
« Reply #30 on: November 02, 2017, 10:10:49 AM »
 Jeroen,
Outstanding progress my old friend. Looking forward to seeing the next up date.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #31 on: November 03, 2017, 12:25:56 AM »
   Regarding your questions on the guns, Jeroen, I always get a small gap and they fit snugly over the round section on the receivers, the gap is as you say, invisible. I assemble them completely and then spray through the cooling vents in the jacket to paint the barrel and inside, it works nicely.
Cheers,
Lance

Same Here!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline aliluke

« Reply #32 on: November 03, 2017, 03:37:21 PM »
Nice work - you are taking the engine much further in detail than I took mine that's for sure - next one I do I'll try to up the detail...

I didn't have that problem with the guns at all - a later kit?. Painting for them I do by hand using Mr Metal primer and Dark Iron. It is such a thin paint that it gets through the cooling jackets to the barrel easily and the Mr Metal rubs up really well to a dull metallic sheen.

Best,
Alistair
It ain't a hobby if you have to hurry.

Offline jeroen_R90S

« Reply #33 on: November 12, 2017, 06:47:23 AM »
Thanks for the tips on the guns and the kind words, Lance, RAGIII and Gregory! Though I did manage to roll the PE jackets, now there's the issue of getting them secured without my usual glue smears and fingerprints!  ;D

Alistair, when I asked Richard at WNW about the gap he was quick to recognize I wasn't building the new D.VII early verision and those PE parts are different. I guess they fixed that (little) issue, though, as Lance confirmed, it's invisible anyway.
I decided to add some stuff to the engine as Greim's machine flew without the upper cowls -if it had been fullly cowled I'd not need to have bothered. As it is, I did enjoy doing some extra stuff, and the Master bolts are really easy to use for spark plugs -cheap to, 160 of them for 4€! (though the Taurus ones look much better!) Now for the leads going from the magneto's... glad theý're on there now. Fortunately this is the DIII engine with only 12 spark plugs, the DIVa has 24 of them!

I finished the engine up, though it remains to be weathered, and have started detail work on the interiour. Painting bezels and tiny other things requires patience and I do this in small staps, so not muc to see really, so so pictures yet, hopefully later!
One tip that might be useful though, after a few tries at painting the linen ammo belts and failing, I remembered the Albatros DVa OAW came with rib tape decals, including linen ones not for use. They look like the correct width and with some Mr Mark softer look much better than my painted attempts!

Jeroen

Offline dr 1 ace

« Reply #34 on: November 13, 2017, 01:40:38 AM »
Moving along nicely, await next round of pictures.

Ed
Life is short, enjoy it, nobody gets out alive.

Offline jeroen_R90S

« Reply #35 on: November 13, 2017, 06:47:20 AM »
Thank you Ed!

Took some pictures of the latest work:

The engine is still drying a bit, so that'll follow later! :)

Jeroen

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #36 on: November 13, 2017, 09:13:43 AM »
The interior lozenge and ammo belts and feeds look great!
RAGIII

Offline jeroen_R90S

« Reply #37 on: November 28, 2017, 05:33:31 AM »
Thank you, RAGIII :)

I did some further work on engine. Painted the last details and assembled all of it as far as I know! I also used an initial wash with thinned oil paints, Payne's Grey with a bit of Raw Umber added.
Then I'll try some of the "sponge" chipping described in my newly acquired book "Stringbag". When that's done I'll be adding some dirt and grime to it, also with oil paints. This bigger scale requires more patience in painting -can't really get away with paint, a dark wash and some drybrush as I do on a 1/72 Roden engine! Still a lot of fun, though.

Less fun, but slowly getting there I think, is the seat. I know the picture is far from perfect, but should I leave it like this, or are the wear effects too strong and does it need a bit of misting with the base coat? This is the fourth try... about ready to install the seatbelts and call it quits, just to be done with it. ;)

Comments and tips on the seat more than welcome!

Jeroen

Offline aliluke

« Reply #38 on: November 28, 2017, 02:45:25 PM »
Hi Jeroen
That seat looks amazing mate. Love the colour. I need your formula!

Cheers
Alistair

Offline Manni

• Der Militärmodellbauer
« Reply #39 on: November 28, 2017, 05:47:14 PM »
Hi Jeroen,
nice work on the engine, the wireing looks great.
I think the seat looks not overdone. It will be hidden mostly by the belts, for this reason I am a friend of an a bit over done effects.
Bye,
Manni
P.S.: Congrats for your book.
"Ich hab' da mal was vorbereitet.": Jean Pütz
"Warum noch mehr Bausätze?!?": meine Frau

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #40 on: November 28, 2017, 11:52:17 PM »
Seat and Engine look great to me!
RAGIII

Offline jeroen_R90S

« Reply #41 on: December 04, 2017, 12:42:04 AM »
Thanks, guys! :) My the previous 2 modelling sessions this week were spent looking long and hard a the seat, as it's the most visible thing when looking at the interiour. I was happy with the colour, but in daylight it looked too patchy and brushpainted to me... so I bit the bullet and added a thin filter layer or 2 of thinned Humbrol Leather (62 I believe) and I think it looks better now, though the next one will undoubedlty look better!
I also assembled the rear screen and fitted the seat so I could fit the belts, and gave them their base coat last evening. The paint is drying now, still need to tidy them up, paind the buckles and some highlights, and add some washes and weathering. The leather will also receive a sating coat to make it more leather-looking, as the filter turned it matt.

The picture doesn't show the colours really well, but better than nothing ;-)

[edit]
And a dryfit as of now with the basic parts together... a bit of paint scraping here and there is still to be done to make sure it all squeezes into the fuselage :)

Jeroen
« Last Edit: December 04, 2017, 06:24:17 AM by jeroen_R90S »

Offline jeroen_R90S

« Reply #42 on: December 23, 2017, 05:40:48 AM »
Didn't really have a lot of time lately, but today was a somewhat unexpected day off (without the kids around!) and I managed to get a few hours of bench time on the Fokker :) Though mainly small bits and pieces got built, brushpainted and assembled, as I do my airbrush painting in the shed which was too cold and cluttered/ Afterwards, I spent an hour cleaning it out so hopefully I can paint more stuff tomorrow.

The interiour dryfitted again, both to show all the little imprivements and make sure it still fits the fuselage:

On the right (left in the picture) I added the radiator shutter lever with wire, on the left I added the three rods for the throttle, ignition adjuster and altitude compensator. The latter two to into nowehere, the first onto the large lever thing on the far right of the picture. The top of that will be connected to the carburettor when the engine is installed.
The lever is made from stretched sprue sanded and carved into shape, the rods are straightened steel wire that comes with garbage bags here, stripped of the plastic covering. It's 0,3mm, where my thinnest brass wire is 0,5 and looked to beefy. There is a great photo in the instructions, (I could spend days adding all the stuff you see there!) that shows how and where things seem to connect.
Less visibible, but I wired up the control stick with throttle and trigger wires and added a tape clamp. Some chipping and weathering was also added, I'll post some more of it once the entire interiour is together.
I also painted some gloss varnish + frame colour over the wrapped lozenge decals to tone them down a bit.

I also added some pieces of sprue to glue the control wires straight and true through the openings under the seat:

And now that I made the radiator shutter control lever, it obviously needs something to connect to... as Greim's machine flew without cowlings I figured this would be quite visible. I cut the shape from a drawing in the Windsock Fokker Anthology 1 from 0,25mm plastic card and added a tiny triangle. I also added a piece of the wire I used for the engine controls as a hinge point.
If you look closely at the radiator parts, I would not be surprised to see this shutter included in one of the "Special Editions", should these ever materialise. There are tiny holes where the hinge is located. :)
Less visible due to the angle, but I also added tiny tabs for the (also missing) radiator supports.

Hopefully some paint and diverse varnishes (gloss/satin for metal and seat, flat and satin for the wood, etc etc) and then the interiour can (finally!!) go together when dry!

Jeroen

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #43 on: December 23, 2017, 07:13:11 AM »
Looking outstanding Jeroen! I like your additions to the interior and radiator very much. If I didn't already have 4 kits under construction I would be tempted too start another DVII!
RAGIII

Offline aliluke

« Reply #44 on: December 23, 2017, 01:48:32 PM »
Wow Jeroen you sure are up scaling the detail with very impressive results. Much farther than I'd ever go but good on you it looks amazing.

Cheers
Alistair