Author Topic: First attempt at a scratch build - 1/48 BE12a  (Read 17797 times)

Offline TobyCoulson

Re: First attempt at a scratch build - 1/48 BE12a
« Reply #45 on: December 10, 2016, 03:29:39 AM »
Amazing. I'm always impressed with any scratch build but this one is really excellent
Ale should be drunk out of a glass. Lager should be drunk out of desperation

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #46 on: February 01, 2017, 08:22:40 AM »
Hey Brad,
You're most welcome! Here's another inspirational thing for you that I recorded on Sunday: https://youtu.be/fTQg_8bqGiE It was magical to see and hear (it's very quiet) the BE12 reproduction flying. It may not be the same variant as your build, but I hope it helps to spur you on.

I hope to see more of your excellent project soon.

Offline dr 1 ace

« Reply #47 on: February 01, 2017, 09:30:48 AM »
Amazing. I'm always impressed with any scratch build but this one is really excellent

Big Ditto !!!

Ed
Life is short, enjoy it, nobody gets out alive.

Offline Brad Cancian

• Administrator
  • "This time I've got you, Red Baron!"
    • Brad's Models
« Reply #48 on: December 21, 2018, 04:39:34 PM »
Hi all - it's been two years since I last looked at this one - my how time flies (pardon the pun...!).

In reconsidering how I progress, I am tending to think that the balsa / plastic construction will be a bit flimsy, especially the wings. I fear that a sneeze or two would be enough to see the whole thing fold up... So I am thinking of casting the major components in resin.

I am fearful that such long, thin components will end up warping if I try and cast them myself. Does anyone have any tips? Or better, would someone who knows what they are doing be willing to cast up a few sets of the flying surfaces / fuselage for me, with appropriate compensation of course!

Thanks!

BC

Offline Radarman

« Reply #49 on: December 22, 2018, 01:12:44 AM »
Brad,
Glad to see this build might continue. I enjoy learning the techniques of other modelers.
                                                                                                      Kevin
We are all victims of history!

Offline hrcoleman66

« Reply #50 on: January 16, 2021, 05:04:33 PM »
Hiya Brad,

Looks like a few years have passed since you last looked at this build.  Any more progress mate?

Just before I got distracted with other things and put away the number 11 blade and styrene, I started a scratch BE2a which didn’t get very far...  the thread is over on Aeroscale somewhere.

Would like to see this one eventuate.

Cheers,

Hugh

Offline Brad Cancian

• Administrator
    • Brad's Models
« Reply #51 on: January 17, 2021, 09:15:34 AM »
Hi Hugh - thanks for the interest in this one!

The build has obviously stalled, however, the embers are still slightly warm... back in 2019 I had Ron Kootje cast a bunch of resin wings for me - see here: https://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?topic=10406.msg189859#msg189859 - I needed these as I wasn't confident that my balsa wings could stand up to the test of time.

Ron did some really excellent work -

In the mean time I have also obtained Roden's BE2c kit for some detail parts (undercarriage, etc).

Back in 2019 I also obtained a small vac-forming machine so that I can form the engine cowls and other parts... I just haven't done any of it yet :)

So, not dead, but still on the backburner (like a bunch of other projects of mine, i.e. scratchbuilt Morane, etc). I'll get there one day!

Cheers!

BC

Offline hrcoleman66

« Reply #52 on: January 17, 2021, 04:42:53 PM »
Those resin wings look awesome!  I thought you might use the Roden kit as a basis maybe...  certainly the guns and fittings are not too bad straight from the box.

Cheers,

Hugh

Offline the great waldo

« Reply #53 on: March 27, 2021, 05:29:42 PM »
Great start!

Tips:soak the balsa core with tube glue thinned with liquid cement until it becomes sitff and rigid like glass.
You can use a flat Brush, sanding when one layer is dry and repeating until the core is smooth and rigid.
This pass  also helps double side  tape adhesion. I prefer two-components glue, though since double side tape tends to get loose with time.

I would soak the balsa with ultra thin super glue. A light spray with activator (and I mean light as too much will foam and smoke) this should give you a fairly strong core. To improve adhesion of other glues to dry super glue surfaces wipe over with wet acetone which will soften the super glue but only for a short time.

Cheers
Andrew

Offline Rookie

• No guts, no glory...
« Reply #54 on: May 02, 2021, 05:46:01 PM »
The resin wings really look the part!

I'm fully enjoying this build!

Willem

Offline Brad Cancian

• Administrator
    • Brad's Models
« Reply #55 on: May 02, 2021, 06:26:28 PM »
Thanks Willem! I will get back to this build at some point, I promise. Very slow going on the bench so far this year - my net production still remains at zero....

Cheers again,

Brad