Author Topic: Gauging Interest - Wings Anyone?  (Read 3246 times)

Offline Brad Cancian

• Administrator
  • "This time I've got you, Red Baron!"
    • Brad's Models
Gauging Interest - Wings Anyone?
« on: July 04, 2019, 06:18:16 PM »
Hi everyone - not sure if this belongs in this forum (so mods, please feel free to move), but I am posting here to gauge some interest.

A while back I started scratch building a 1/48 BE12a - https://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?topic=7721.0

I scratch built some flying surfaces from balsa and sheet plastic -

From what I can tell, the wing panels and tail feathers for the BE12a are the same as those on the BE2e. The wing panels (minus the centre section) also seem to be the same for the RE8.

I have some plans to cast some resin wings so that I can not only continue with the BE12a, but so that I can also convert the Roden BE2c to a BE2e, and even possibly use another set of the wings to form the basis for an upgrade to the Aeroclub RE8.

I am not an expert at casting resin wings, but fellow forum member Ron Kootje has kindly offered to assist in casting some sets of wings / tail feathers for me, based off what I have done so far - see here:

https://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?topic=10373

There is always an economy of scale with such enterprises - as such, is there anyone on the forum who would be interested in a resin set of wings and tail feathers for a BE2e / BE12a?

As far as I know, the only kits of the BE12a, BE2c (and RE8) are the aeroclub kits, which are both hard to come by and have (in my opinion) horrible thick wings moulded in hard, unworkable plastic. Here is your chance to possibly convert / upgrade some existing kits with what should turn out to be better versions.  The parts should be able to be used (in theory) to convert the 1/48 Roden BE2c into a BE2e (though you might have to do some surgery and scratch your own struts).

Also, would there be an interest in wings / tail feathers for a 1/48 RE8 to upgrade the Aeroclub kit? I'd also have to scratch build a centre section and new tail feathers for the RE8, but it's possible if there's enough interest.

If you do have an interest, please reply here (indicating how many sets you might be interested in) - Ron and I will be able to work out the feasibility of a larger run (and possible unit costs) from there.

Thanks, and apologies again if this has ended up in the wrong place!

Cheers,

BC

Offline Dave W

• Administrator
Re: Gauging Interest - Wings Anyone?
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2019, 09:12:38 PM »
A great idea Brad and your post is very welcome here! This is certainly the right place for it. We're all in favour of new initiatives to broaden the range of WW1 models. The more the better and we encourage modellers to embrace the projects you and Ron are planning.

The Forum is happy to be a place to promote your venture.

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia
Owner and Administrator of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Rob Hart

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2019, 11:32:27 AM »
I'd be interested in a few sets.

Offline Brad Cancian

• Administrator
    • Brad's Models
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2019, 08:14:50 AM »
Thanks Rob.

No other interest at all...?

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2019, 11:39:02 AM »
ps your wings are fantastically realistic looking and would make great upgrades . many will think "wheres the over accentuated rib tapes and stitching like wnw" but in scale yours are the realistic ones.

Offline Dave W

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2019, 12:57:16 PM »
I have removed a post from this thread because I believe it goes against the rules of the Forum.

The post contained remarks which appeared to blame one model manufacturer for a perceived malaise in the hobby.

Ours is a niche hobby within the wider model community and nothing will be gained by bad mouthing the few manufacturers who produce kits for us.

My Apologies to Brad who originated the thread but is not responsible for the now deleted post.

Dave Wilson
Forum Owner & Administrator
Owner and Administrator of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2019, 05:04:42 AM »
   I have just removed another post from this topic. There is no place on this Forum for sarcasm nor criticism of the principles we operate under. The Rules are clear, and very fair, should an individual not find them acceptable then I would suggest the polite thing to do is to choose non participation.
Lance

Offline Brad Cancian

• Administrator
    • Brad's Models
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2019, 07:56:39 AM »
Hi all - i've recently come back from nearly 3 months away from home, and during that time, Ron has very kindly cast up a few sets of wings for me. 

He has worked wonders, given he had my rather poor set of scratch built wings to start from. I can attest that the castings really are magnificent:

I know that there wasn't too much interest in these first time around, but if anyone is still interested, Ron still has the master moulds and I am sure he wouldn't mind casting up a set or two for anyone who asks. See his thread over here:

https://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?topic=10636.0

Thanks again to Ron for his great work and assistance on these.

Cheers!

BC

Offline fredjocko

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2021, 05:30:25 AM »
Could you please show how you built the wings? They look really nice to me. Thank you

Offline Brad Cancian

• Administrator
    • Brad's Models
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2021, 09:03:05 AM »
Hi fredjocko - the below link shows how the originals were made.

https://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?topic=7721.0

Ron might be able to elaborate on how he made the resin copies.

Cheers,

BC