Author Topic: FINISHED: "Ikarus 1916" - Shot down LVG C II  (Read 43584 times)

Offline Borsos

Re: "Ikarus 1916" - Shot down LVG C II, P & M Motorbike (Aviattic), Vauxhall 25H
« Reply #105 on: December 30, 2016, 10:07:15 AM »
Thank you very much Edo!

Pew, this one cost me nerves. I stripped off the paint which was quite thick anyway and covered too much details (it was the first time that I shot Vallejo paints through an airbrush, I think, I'll keep my Gunze, Tamiya and Drooling Bulldog paints for airbrushing instead). After that one frustration followed the other. Pencil didn't work, as they left no clear line on the sprayed surface, decals went fine on the straight parts, but not on the curves (here one should make templates of the parts first, before gluing the bike together... Well, too late for me). And at last I repainted a third time and sprayed yellow first - then I tried Tamiyas new flexible masking tape. But the pinstripes made out of masking tape are just too thin to provide enough room for the glue to stick on the model. In the end I gave up and started another online research, if in fact every P&M 3.5 HP bile had these stripes. Yes, it seems as if every bike had them, but on several surviving examples they weren't too visible any more, e. g. here:

So I finally left them off (maybe Aviattic had equal problems on their test build as they didn't add them neither like Juan pointed out?). In the end I was thinking to ask Ondra for his help (thanks again!), but then I rethought that this bike should be just one part of a bigger diorama (and not even the most important one) where enough work is still to do.
So That's it for now and in fact I am happier with it than before.  I would be even happier with the stripes, but well. I have to accept defeats...

As usual I'll leave it for one or two days and then take it back on the working table for last touch ups (and the I'll remove that hair, douh!)

Now I'll go on with the wrecked airplane. After making some progress on the WNW Albatros B II I realized that I simply couldn't do, what I had planned: I wouldn't destroy such a fantatstic kit to make a wreck out of it. And there's another reason: I always had read that the Albatros C. I. as the direct successor of the B II shared many design features with the B II. But only when I compared the B II fuselage and wings with the WDF plans of the C. I, I realized how similar they were in fact. The outline of the WNW fuselage and wings fit the scale plans of the C. I simply too perfectly - besides of the well known changes on the cockpits from the "B" to the "C" configuration. But that's not too difficult to change. So I decided to keep my spare B II kit for a future conversion into a not crashed Albatros C. I (yes, I love these first generation C-class planes...) and to get back to my initial plan to scratch a wrecked LVG C. II. I'll start with the engine and give the wreck a torn out engine including smashed exhaust and broken propeller. Why a broken propeller? I was prepairing wooden props for my Albatros B II and ruined one during the sanding process... I'll start here wit a spare Bz 150HP engine, as I need a break from Mercedes engines...
Best wishes
Borsos
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline Juan

• All gave some, some gave all.
Re: "Ikarus 1916" - Shot down LVG C II, P & M Motorbike (Aviattic), Vauxhall 25hp
« Reply #106 on: December 30, 2016, 12:24:39 PM »
Awesome work on that bike Borsos. looks quite convincing and is definitely up to your standard.  This is going to be one diorama that will make you take second and third looks, finding new details each time.   :D

Offline ondra

Re: "Ikarus 1916" - Shot down LVG C II, P & M Motorbike (Aviattic), Vauxhall 25hp
« Reply #107 on: December 30, 2016, 02:51:39 PM »
This definitely looks much better, good job, Borsos!

Looking at the photo of the real thing you posted here, I think omitting the stripes is actually the correct decision.

Cheers

Ondra

Online Edo

« Reply #108 on: December 30, 2016, 04:21:50 PM »
Yes, this diorama will certainly demand second and third looks .
Fortunalety, i can count myself among the  fiew lucky enought to have the opportunity to see the building process ad it unfolds!
Can't wait to see the rest
Ciao
Edo

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #109 on: December 30, 2016, 10:16:39 PM »
Like the others have said I think you made the right decision on those stripes! The bike and rider are absolutely gorgeous!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #110 on: December 31, 2016, 02:07:28 AM »
I agree with the others, Andreas!  That bike looks fantastic!  Good call, removing the stripes.  Looks more military and less sporty like this.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline ondra

« Reply #111 on: December 31, 2016, 02:19:52 AM »
One more addition from my side.

While first reading your post, I missed one important line: "I have to accept defeats..."

You do not have to accept defeats. As my boss taught me, there is only one correct point of view: "I never lose. Either I win, or I learn." ;)

This is what I apply on all of my builds and it makes my life a lot easier.

Cheers

Ondra

Offline Borsos

« Reply #112 on: December 31, 2016, 04:11:24 AM »
Thank you Bo, Juan, Ondra, Edo, Rick and Bud!

One more addition from my side.

While first reading your post, I missed one important line: "I have to accept defeats..."

You do not have to accept defeats. As my boss taught me, there is only one correct point of view: "I never lose. Either I win, or I learn." ;)

This is what I apply on all of my builds and it makes my life a lot easier.

Cheers

Ondra

That's not only correct, its wise  :)
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline Manni

• Der Militärmodellbauer
Wow, Andreas, looks so good. It seems like the rider is saying: Bam! Gotcha on the ground, you punk!
Very nice!
Manni
« Last Edit: January 04, 2017, 09:37:52 PM by Manni »
"Ich hab' da mal was vorbereitet.": Jean Pütz
"Warum noch mehr Bausätze?!?": meine Frau

Offline lone modeller

Totally agree that the m/c is better without the stripes.

Also have to totally agree with Ondra - there is no such thing as a defeat - only an opportunity to learn. If you can come back ready for another go you have not lost. Or as pilots say:  "Any landing you can walk away from is a good landing".

Stephen.

Offline Borsos

Thank you very much for your support, guys! I really appreciate that.

Here now the very first steps on building the LVG C II.:

Still a long way to go...
Borsos
Barbusse.
Remarque.

Offline Juan

• All gave some, some gave all.
Wow Borsos, outstanding start on your crashed LVG C II.  Engine and tire looks wonderful.  Looking forward to your next update.

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
The broken propeller and damaged wheel looks excellent.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Online Edo

yes, indeed! the broken wheel is just amazing!
ciao
edo

Offline boggie

Fascinating build Borsos.
I will follow this with great interest.
Your engine/prop and wheel are very cleverly "wrecked". I really like your exposed wheel spokes and flat tyre.
It is not often I would say congratulations for vandalising a perfectly good kit.  ;) ;D
Eagerly awaiting what's next.

Cheers  :)