Author Topic: FINISHED: "Ikarus 1916" - Shot down LVG C II  (Read 43570 times)

Offline lone modeller

Totally agree with the Red Baron - your sculpting of figures is truly remarkable. I just wish that I had a fraction of that skill.

Stephen.

Offline Edo

wow Borso! that rider is owesome!
very very well done!
ciao
edo

Offline Borsos

Thank you very much for your kind and encouraging words! This one is a real large, time consuming project so I love it very much to get motivated to stay working on it by your comments, I am really grateful  :)
Manni, I really would like to travel around and visit more modelling exhibitions. Sadly due to my work I am still reduced to Southern Germany. But who knows... Please keep me posted when there's something around Heiden! And there's a certain plan to visit Belgium and all the museums and the battlefields around... well, somedays... ::)
Best wishes
Borsos
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline Borsos

Some first paint. I was doubting adding the thin yellow lines as I didn't know any technique to paint them but a brush and my shaky hands. In the end I decided to give it a try anyway, I think covered in Western Front mud it will look ok.
Borsos
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline Gisbod

Fantastic work Borsos..

Very impressive.

Guy
“Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth -
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.”

P.O. John Gillespie Magee 1941

Offline Manni

• Der Militärmodellbauer
Great work, the pinstripes are convincing. As you have said, the mud will cover a lot.
Bye, Manni
"Ich hab' da mal was vorbereitet.": Jean Pütz
"Warum noch mehr Bausätze?!?": meine Frau

Offline stefanbuss

I do have to agree with Bo - the pin striped are too obviously drawn free hand. No matter how much mud you will throw at it, you will always see that and be disappointed about it.

Using strip decals should work much better.

Online Juan

• All gave some, some gave all.
Hi Borsos, not piling on, but I think that your pin striping is not up to your excellent standards.  Looking at the Aviattic site, their model does not have striping and looks really good too.  You are the artist and the decision is yours.  All the best on how you proceed.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2016, 03:16:40 AM by Juan »

Offline lone modeller

I have to agree with Bo and the others. You could be spoiling a sheep for a h'aporth of tar…. but the choice must be yours. However as you are a perfectionist I am not sure how you will feel when you have thrown mud all over it if you leave the lines as they are.

Stephen.

Offline Borsos

Dear all,
thank you very much for your interest and your comments!
Bo, Stephan, Juan and Stephen, the more I look at the photos the more I have to agree with you. Shaky hands stay shaky... I don't know why I didn't get the idea to use decal paper! I had the idea to buy a yellow marker that should draw lines up to 1mm. But its cap was sealed at the shop, so no trying out was possible. And when I tried it at home it was more about 3mm in width than 1mm (which would in fact still be too wide). The product available via the link you've postet, Bo, looks much more promising.
But I think when I take the outlines of the Motorcycle parts with the help of masking tape, transfer them to cardboard and use this as a pattern to draw the lines on clear decal paper, which can be trimmed using a sharp knife, it should work - at least better than painting thin lines freehand...
Best wishes
Borsos

BTW: I am very grateful for your constructive critics. Sometimes you know something in the back of your head and you just don't want to accept it. A little shove from outside is really valuable then  :)
Barbusse.
Remarque.

Offline zavod44

Re: "Ikarus 1916" - Shot down LVG C II, P & M Motorbike (Aviattic), Vauxhall 25hp
« Reply #100 on: December 23, 2016, 12:26:29 PM »
Maybe a colored pencil? 

Offline Borsos

Re: "Ikarus 1916" - Shot down LVG C II, P & M Motorbike (Aviattic), Vauxhall 25hp
« Reply #101 on: December 23, 2016, 02:56:07 PM »
Maybe a colored pencil?

definitely worth a try... especially on the very dull Vallejo paint that could give the pencil color a good grip. I'd be pessimistic for Gunze or any other very gloss color.
Barbusse.
Remarque.

Offline ondra

« Reply #102 on: December 23, 2016, 10:10:09 PM »
Hi Borsos,

I have happened to be an owner of a plotter. So should you not succeed with the decal option, please PM me, we will find a way to deal with those stripes. ;)

Cheers

Ondra

Offline Borsos

« Reply #103 on: December 24, 2016, 05:04:32 AM »
Hi Ondra,
that is really a generous offer, good to know!
Thank you very much!
Borsos
Barbusse.
Remarque.

Offline Edo

« Reply #104 on: December 24, 2016, 05:50:18 PM »
Hey Borsos! the stirpes issue is a very interesting one, indeed. Can't wait to se what you will tourn out from your hat.
In the meantime, I have to say that looking back to your pictures, I find that the hand painted  stripes do not annoy me at all. One has to considerate that the pictures are take with a macro lens, and that in reality a scale effect will occour, so, no, to me that Bike seems just great.
Keep up the great work!
Ciao
Edo